Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: ?
yes 17 80.95%
no 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
Heath
miscreant
Subtract from Heath's ReputationAdd to Heath's Reputation Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000
02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyVertan View Post
Can you disprove a belief system?
that's a rudimental question derived from mine. i don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, but no one is capable of proving or disproving the existence of (a) god. although, this thread is meant to debate our views on the subject.
tea nd crumpets
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass
Subtract from tea nd crumpets's ReputationAdd to tea nd crumpets's Reputation tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000 tea nd crumpets IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tea nd crumpets
02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat status View Post
You would think so. Yet arguing with people who believe in creationism is an impossible battle because they refuse to listen to scientific evidence
I wouldn't say that there is scientific evidence of evolution. There are trends that have led scientists to believe that evolution and adaptation have caused the current species on this planet to be what they are, but you really can't be 100% certain about it.

So, in other words, it's just like any other theory out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnt Kim
Which guy are you going to be? The one who walks out the bar, doesnít think he can do it, and takes it back into the rack? Or the guy who walks out the bar, doesnít think he can do it, but descends anyway while his friends stand twenty feet away because he told them, 'If it staples me, donít come spot me, I want it to kill me' ?
dat status
whateva mang
Subtract from dat status's ReputationAdd to dat status's Reputation dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000
02-04-2013

It's still a more logical theory than creationism because of the biological facts backing evolution
BuK
Jaded
Subtract from BuK's ReputationAdd to BuK's Reputation BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to BuK
02-04-2013

i would like to believe in a sort of deism, but i can't truly say i do

some sort of afterlife seems nice and would hope it would be real, but i don't believe logistics of getting to nirvana includes (fearing/strikethrough) worshiping a particular prophet

but to answer your particular question in OP, I think evolution does discredit creationism. It certainly wasn't a theistic god and we're all here by extreme divine intervention, but at very most a uninterested deistic god, in which case we're still here by chance, evolution, time, etc.

iDiesel
Level 37
Subtract from iDiesel's ReputationAdd to iDiesel's Reputation iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to iDiesel
02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea nd crumpets View Post
I wouldn't say that there is scientific evidence of evolution. There are trends that have led scientists to believe that evolution and adaptation have caused the current species on this planet to be what they are, but you really can't be 100% certain about it.

So, in other words, it's just like any other theory out there.
This is not even close to true. The scientific evidence for evolution is completely overwhelming and the only way to deny it is essentially to be ignorant of it. From genetics to experiments on populations of organisms to the fossil record, the evidence is basically seamless.

In response to the OP, that question is a tough one to answer because the term creationism can mean a lot of different things, from my understanding (which is minimal). There are creationists that believe in exactly what the Bible (or any other religious test/idea) says, and there are those that believe God a hand in some other way. Evolution soundly squashes any notions of God creating the all the biodiversity we see on the planet today, the Earth being 10k years old or w/e, and all that kind of stuff. There are other ideas it can't disprove, though. For instance, I'm pretty sure there's a popular book out there that makes the case that God had to have had a hand in creating the first living cell because the conditions on Earth 3.8 Gya couldn't have created such a thing. On a related note, I learned in class last quarter that roughly a third of scientists believe that Earth life probably came from Mars because the conditions there would have been much more favorable for creating a cell. Pretty interesting.
Toasthashost
lvl 37 Dwarf Paladin
Subtract from Toasthashost's ReputationAdd to Toasthashost's Reputation Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000 Toasthashost IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Toasthashost Send a message via MSN to Toasthashost Send a message via Skype™ to Toasthashost
02-05-2013

It's disproved it, but of course people are still going to strongly believe in Creationism till death. They'll just remain ignorant and oblivious to what has already been discovered regarding evolution, which is enough in my eyes to support the "crazy" theories scientists make.
My Youtube channel

The After Hours Members
Alcom
Toast
Winning

beercan
never tasted so salty
Subtract from beercan's ReputationAdd to beercan's Reputation beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000 beercan IS OVER 9000
02-05-2013

Evolution is a scientific theory, which by definition, has to be falsifiable. It's as good as true as far as observation indicates but it is not a certainty. It therefore can not disprove creationism, merely imply heavily that it is probably wrong.

It all comes back to the same problem though: there's always got to be a creator at the beginning. Whether that is God, or the Universe, or whatever is a different question though.
PM
1 authentic experience
Subtract from PM's ReputationAdd to PM's Reputation PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000
02-05-2013

the common assumption that evolution through natural selection is a 'theory', in the same way as string theory is a theory, is wrong. evolution is a law with several components that is as well substantiated as any other 'natural law', whether the laws of gravity, the laws of motion, or avogadro's law. evolution is a scientific fact, disputed only by those who choose to ignore the evidence, and believe instead that unchanging knowledge and wisdom can be reached by divine revelation.

creationism provides people with an origin myth, and so gives them an illusory certainty and stability. in so far as they must have an unchanging and (thus, self-)justifiable mythical understanding, the creationist must be caught up in ritual, they have to have the space and capability to re-affirm their bonds and 'solidify' their thoughts and patterns.

the fact that it is even a discussion 'whether creationism ought to be taught alongside evolution in high school science courses' is only kind of funny. ofc, there's the need for ritual, repetition, solidification. and evolution, as freud tells us, truly was (and continues to be) a narcissistic injury to the judeochristian west. funny thing about freud is that none of my professors have ever read him, are in fact afraid of his ideas. my kant lecturer, as a joke, alluded to freud as "doctor frued [frewd]". i reproached him after class and he assured me it was 'just a joke'.

a friend that's taken psychology courses assures me they are as terrible as i had pictured.

the point is, it's our education system at large that's in need of correction. we produce workers with degrees. there's no sparkling material incentive for seeking knowledge as such, for personal growth and fulfillment as such, for breaking up the soil and synthesizing webs of understandings, only for eating and regurgitating answers for tests in order to secure simple jobs and lives and disturbing the soil as little as possible, re-affirming its solidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Here's the problem - I am not a means to the end of rape culture, I am the end. I am literally the termination of this whole ordeal.
here's the problem

Last edited by PM; 02-05-2013 at 04:11 AM.
PackieIX
Empathy Overload
Subtract from PackieIX's ReputationAdd to PackieIX's Reputation PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to PackieIX
02-05-2013

I believe that a great beast from the murky waters of the universe spat out this galaxy, and then swam away. There are millions of these primal 'gods' if you will, and the swim about the universe, through the rifts that us physical beings cant see. They dare not touch each others creation. One day our primordial beast shall return and swallow us whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post

Edit: No penises. Not even clipart versions.
- Nv1

Heath
miscreant
Subtract from Heath's ReputationAdd to Heath's Reputation Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000 Heath IS OVER 9000
02-05-2013

wow i just read something from this book that i have never thought of before. at the time the bible was written people believed the earth was flat.