Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
08-06-2012
Default Being a Sikh

Sikhism is a combination of meditation and other major religous beliefs combined with a sprinkle of common sense.

A few of the usual common sense errors such as hats, alcohol, sex and what not but they get rid of a lot of crap that doesn't make sense to a 2 year old in the major religions.

Add in the self and community improvement through meditation and wham bam you got a pretty nice religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh_religious_philosophy

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
08-06-2012

Quote:
A Sikh is expected to rise early, meditate and pray, consume simple food, perform an honest day's work, carry out duties for his or her family, enjoy life and always be positive, be charitable and support the needy, et cetera.
meditate, fine.
pray? wut

Quote:
Widows throwing themselves in the funeral pyre of their husbands, the act of slaughtering lambs and calves to celebrate holy occasions
ehh..

Quote:
Bragging, gossip and lying are not permitted.
and there goes TM22, all women and Pistol.
weird how those are in the same chategory somehow.

Quote:
The consumption of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, or other intoxicants is prohibited.
there go all TIFE members, old Shunt and old Tsunami.

Quote:
ll humans are equal before God – No discrimination is allowed on the basis of caste, race, gender, creed, origin, color, education, status, wealth, et cetera. The principles of universal equality and brotherhood are important pillars of Sikhism.
Reyer's out

Quote:
Having premarital or extramarital sexual relations
MsTk and Dawn are out

Quote:
It is encouraged to share and give to charity 10 percent of one’s net earnings.
Colo you better keep riding that bike.

Quote:
There is only one God who has infinite qualities and names. God is Creator and Sustainer - all that you see around you is His creation. He is everywhere, in everything. He is without birth or death, and has existed before Creation and will exist forever. Sikhism does not acknowledge an anthropomorphic God. This is true to the extent than one can interpret Him as the Universe Itself. Sikhism also does not acknowledge the belief of a Personal God, as does Christianity. Instead, God is usually interpreted as being unfathomable, yet not unknowable.
so a little less easy to trap than Christianity, clever bastards.
still tho, doesn't this exclude praying?

Quote:
ove God. Only by keeping the Creator in your mind at all times will you make progress in your spiritual evolution.
so sikh philosophy demands this, not god itself.
still quite a barrier for all men to ever achieve any spiritual progress, can't do multiple things at the same time.

Quote:
efend, protect and fight for the rights of all creatures, in particular your fellow human beings.
but you can eat meat, k.

Quote:
Sikhs are not special; they are not the chosen people of God. Simply calling yourself a Sikh does not bring you salvation. Members of all religions have the same right to liberty as Sikhs.
a club without a bouncer is usually a shitty club, or just so hipster I ironically don't go there to be future hip.

Quote:
– Always have a positive, optimistic and buoyant view of life. God is there – He will be your help.
again with the no personal god/but personal god thing?
also, give me a little pessimism pl0x.
bouyant, really? makes me sea sikh
geddit

Quote:
Sikhs do not believe that any particular day is holier than any other.
so... presents?

Quote:
Develop your personality so that you recognise happy event and miserable events as one – the will of God causes them.
well tell God to go fuck itself, that was mean

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
08-06-2012

Quote:
Equality: All humans are equal before God – No discrimination is allowed on the basis of caste, race, gender, creed, origin, color, education, status, wealth, et cetera. The principles of universal equality and brotherhood are important pillars of Sikhism.
Quote:
A Sikh is expected to rise early, meditate and pray, consume simple food, perform an honest day's work, carry out duties for his or her family, enjoy life and always be positive, be charitable and support the needy, et cetera.

i can dig it, i have a lot of similar values

my experience with sikh's is that they're always really friendly
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
08-06-2012

Plus who doesn't like a funny hat???

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Klima
Bold as Love
Subtract from Klima's ReputationAdd to Klima's Reputation Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Klima
08-06-2012

The jews.
MarkedAchilles
08-06-2012

Jews love funny hats.

The XciZoR
Level 42
Subtract from The XciZoR's ReputationAdd to The XciZoR's Reputation The XciZoR is legendary The XciZoR is legendary The XciZoR is legendary
08-07-2012

Don't forget to add tobacco on that list.

I'm Sikh, most of my family is.
GUYINTHEHAT for old school.

MarkedAchilles
08-07-2012

I wouldn't miss tobacco though

myzo
Spamming Noob
Subtract from myzo's ReputationAdd to myzo's Reputation myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000 myzo IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to myzo
08-07-2012

I remember learning about them and their religion in high school. I found it to be, on paper, a very nice religion. Of course every group has their nut jobs. Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of actually meeting a Sikh, on purpose. I barely know any Jewish people.

Looks better than Christianity to me.

Sent from my iPhone using faggotry 2.
MarkedAchilles
08-07-2012

Out of the major religions I would rank it above Christianity and Islam, probably on par with Hindu though and depending on the type of Jew you like to be either way above or on par.