Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
Mattey
Level 31
Mattey's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,105
Subtract from Mattey's ReputationAdd to Mattey's Reputation Mattey is on the rise to fame Mattey is on the rise to fame
#41
03-25-2012
Default

I don't even give these people the light of day. I can't stand the thought of arguing with someone who basis there opinions on faith. When you make a point its like you just tried to explain the concept of zero or infinity.
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
JustMarioBros's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [.::H2F SELECT::.]
Posts: 8,626
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
#42
03-26-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater ohm View Post
Should nonbelievers take to the term 'atheist' as readily as most do? and do we still have a choice now this term is so widespread?

there's the criticism of the idea of having a term for not-religion:

take the famous example; 'nonstampcollector' which is obviously not a hobby.

there's also the practical problem of people taking nothing an 'atheist' says serious and having the typical responses to anyone dubbed with that title. Would it not be more practical to just use free thought on practical issues?

sam harris on the subject using racism as an example for the term itself and going on about the practical side of being 'atheists'




I shift from being okay with all the terms like apatheist to being like 'why am I grouped with this dickhead, we have no specific things in common' and 'why am I getting the same 20 stupid irrelevant arguments in my face when we were talking about the source of a serious practical problem?'

Harris is obviously more scared (realistic?) of the short term consequences of religious dogma than most like to hear, yet his call for more practical and faster, and perhaps more honest, approaches is not without substance. People are digging themselves in more and more, should nonbelief be a side? take the SouthPark future episode for a lulzy thought. I started out thinking of Islam as similarly destructive as Christianity, just some extremists right now blabla, but it is really not in the 21st century. I take Ayaan Hirsi Ali's view on this quite serious. polarization can have it's effects on the Christian side as well, I don't like to alienate myself from my culture. Wanting to have a world where we can have intelligent discourse may be a more practical source than 'atheist arrogance' as it is seen by many I'd like to reach.

I hate taking this stance because fuck them, but it keeps popping up.

Now I didn't think this through as much as I'd like to when I post, which is why I didnt make a thread.
would like to hear some thoughts
The term 'atheist' is almost always taken out of context. It simply states that you believe there are no deities until proven otherwise. Problem is that most people don't know this or simply don't care to know and just jump to conclusions. It doesn't mean you believe in scientists like christians believe in a priest, or you believe in science like christians believe in the bible. We don't have a leader and we are not tied down by a list of rules we must follow in order to be atheist.

I know you probably know this but that is the main points I bring up to people when they apparently have no clue what the fuck an atheist is.

It is a huge problem that the general public views atheists as the lowest scum of the earth and our opinions don't even matter. We are literally looked at as the most untrustworthy minority group in the world. Even though some of the greatest artists, authors, scientists, inventors, leaders, etc.. were atheists specifically. I don't think we should avoid the word "Atheist" because it will only go on to prove that word to be taboo. Here, watch this so you can get a feel for what americans really think about atheists. No matter what you say, the moment they know you don't believe in their god, you are automatically judged and generalized on the spot. Some of the most awkward moments of my life is when I have told people I was an atheist in public.



It also doesn't help to have a few retards call themselves atheist and then go on and put up immature comments and debates. It only makes us look worse than we already do.

I'll get back to you later, gotta go right now.
Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Eamonn's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 13,678
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
#43
03-26-2012
Default

Didn't read most of it, or most of this thread, but I lol'd hard at that chick.

She was like a mix of an environmental hippie, an extremely religious person, and an idiot.
iEdiTioN
Level 25
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 841
Subtract from iEdiTioN's ReputationAdd to iEdiTioN's Reputation iEdiTioN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to iEdiTioN
#44
03-31-2012
Default

hahahahah "your turn"
That was a great read, man. You did a great job at keeping your composure.

also, If you have not already heard of these guys check them out, they have a lot of great stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t/videos

Edit: Might I also add http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comm...ates_lectures/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Didn't read most of it, or most of this thread, but I lol'd hard at that chick.

She was like a mix of an environmental hippie, an extremely religious person, and an idiot.
lucky you live in Canada and don't have to deal with these kinds of people....or do you?

Last edited by iEdiTioN; 03-31-2012 at 12:55 PM.
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
JustMarioBros's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [.::H2F SELECT::.]
Posts: 8,626
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
#45
03-31-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEdiTioN View Post
hahahahah "your turn"
That was a great read, man. You did a great job at keeping your composure.

also, If you have not already heard of these guys check them out, they have a lot of great stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t/videos

Edit: Might I also add http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comm...ates_lectures/



lucky you live in Canada and don't have to deal with these kinds of people....or do you?
Thanks, I tried very hard. I was almost pulling my hair out after reading her responses. I truly and honestly believe that some people can't help it. Their brain is just wired a certain way where fantasy is literally their reality. Logic and Reason is from another dimension to them, they simply cannot see it, use it, experience it, etc. It's fucking sad.

Thanks for the links, btw. Also look up the youtube channels "AronRa" , "AtheismResource" , "FFreeThinker" (this one is full of gold), and of course "NonStampCollector".
iEdiTioN
Level 25
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 841
Subtract from iEdiTioN's ReputationAdd to iEdiTioN's Reputation iEdiTioN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to iEdiTioN
#46
03-31-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
Thanks, I tried very hard. I was almost pulling my hair out after reading her responses. I truly and honestly believe that some people can't help it. Their brain is just wired a certain way where fantasy is literally their reality. Logic and Reason is from another dimension to them, they simply cannot see it, use it, experience it, etc. It's fucking sad.

Thanks for the links, btw. Also look up the youtube channels "AronRa" , "AtheismResource" , "FFreeThinker" (this one is full of gold), and of course "NonStampCollector".
I think it's a balance of fear(of doubting and being condemned to eternal agony) and comfort(warm and fuzzy feelings they get from thinking a god loves them and that they're special in this grand universe). And if someone is brought up being brainwashed I could see how it could be hard to break out of that.


Love aronra and NonStampCollector. Haven't heard of the others, I shall check em out right now, thanks buddy
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
JustMarioBros's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [.::H2F SELECT::.]
Posts: 8,626
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
#47
03-31-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEdiTioN View Post
I think it's a balance of fear(of doubting and being condemned to eternal agony) and comfort(warm and fuzzy feelings they get from thinking a god loves them and that they're special in this grand universe). And if someone is brought up being brainwashed I could see how it could be hard to break out of that.


Love aronra and NonStampCollector. Haven't heard of the others, I shall check em out right now, thanks buddy
The reason I say their brain is just wired that way is because they literally choose to never use reason or logic. Once you do, you start questioning things, and it's a domino effect from there. There are people who become skeptical and ask question and convert beliefs. Then there's those people who don't because they truly feel they believe the truth, just as I feel about my truth. I don't know, it's all fucking stupid and it sucks that almost the entire world is this blind.

Also, the atheism resource youtube channel actually doesn't have a lot of videos but under "Feed", they have a lot of good videos they liked or favorited. Those are the ones I watch under that channel.
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
JustMarioBros's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [.::H2F SELECT::.]
Posts: 8,626
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
#48
03-31-2012
Default

Here is their website, also full of gold.

www.atheismresource.com/

Edit: I can't believe I forgot about this one. I spend hours at a time watching their videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAtheistExperience

One of my favorites lol



lololololololololololol

Last edited by JustMarioBros; 03-31-2012 at 05:10 PM.
iEdiTioN
Level 25
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 841
Subtract from iEdiTioN's ReputationAdd to iEdiTioN's Reputation iEdiTioN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to iEdiTioN
#49
03-31-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
The reason I say their brain is just wired that way is because they literally choose to never use reason or logic. Once you do, you start questioning things, and it's a domino effect from there. There are people who become skeptical and ask question and convert beliefs. Then there's those people who don't because they truly feel they believe the truth, just as I feel about my truth. I don't know, it's all fucking stupid and it sucks that almost the entire world is this blind.

Also, the atheism resource youtube channel actually doesn't have a lot of videos but under "Feed", they have a lot of good videos they liked or favorited. Those are the ones I watch under that channel.
Reminds me of a quote by Benjamin Franklin that believers usually misinterpret.
"The way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason"

But yeah I agree. Willful ignorance is the worst, especially when they boast about it.

yeah I was wondering why they had so little, thanks.


Edit: yea I love TheAtheistExperience. Matt Dillahunty is amazing.
iEdiTioN
Level 25
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 841
Subtract from iEdiTioN's ReputationAdd to iEdiTioN's Reputation iEdiTioN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to iEdiTioN
#50
04-04-2012
Default

oh hey JustMarioBros, I think i saw you say your dad was really religious(I do apologize if i'm mistaken) but i was just gonna ask if he knew you were an atheist and how he's taking it?
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off