Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
12-10-2011
Default Atheist and Pastor debate

It all started with this video:

I play the role of the Atheist. The Pastor, Tito, is my friends brother in law. Mike is a local tattoo artist and surprisingly enough, atheist as well. I think it's worth the long read. It was more of a respectful conversation compared to most debates I've witnessed in the past.

Again, it's a long read but maybe a few people could learn something from it. If you have anything to add or correct, go for it.

Spoiler!

Last edited by JustMarioBros; 12-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Rhis
Gucci Bacchae
Subtract from Rhis's ReputationAdd to Rhis's Reputation Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000
12-10-2011

great read, loved the maturity and the understanding of how aggressive Mike came off.

at the same time, the ignorance and lack of common reasoning that religion has taught the religious baffles me.

Regards,
freak
#1 butt eater™
Subtract from freak's ReputationAdd to freak's Reputation freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000
12-10-2011

what the fuck is with people saying that if there's no god then everything is just an "accident"

accident: An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

that's not really an apt description for naturally occurring happenings.
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhis View Post
great read, loved the maturity and the understanding of how aggressive Mike came off.

at the same time, the ignorance and lack of common reasoning that religion has taught the religious baffles me.
He was a good sport about it all. Usually when I start getting into a debate with someone, they just catch a bad attitude and feel very offended. Tito actually kept it calm the whole time which was a pleasant surprise.

The ignorance and lack of reasoning is something that drives me absolutely fucking nuts during a debate and makes it very difficult to not insult their intelligence or lack thereof. When someone tells me they believe we came from adam and eve, I automatically know there is no end to this debate. As soon as it's obvious that the other person has never once used logical or rational thinking, I just start losing hope in the conversation. I usually try to give people something to think about, or something to take into consideration. When speaking to someone so close minded, you almost just lose interest in the whole debate because you know the other person has no intention of even processing what you are saying. It goes in one ear and comes out the other without acknowledgement. I try to learn as much as I can about the religious side of the debate so then I have even more material to disprove for the next debate, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
what the fuck is with people saying that if there's no god then everything is just an "accident"

accident: An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

that's not really an apt description for naturally occurring happenings.
That's also something that drives me crazy as well. Also, when they think that the big bang theory is the only argument that science has against religion. Umm yeah let's completely ignore absolutely all other studies and evidence that disprove what your book says.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scienti...n_being_a_hoax