Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
06-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoupy View Post
I don't really understand you.
Well, what are you saying? Just that atheism and the view that some actions are always wrong no matter what aren't necessarily incompatible?
briansoupy
Level 31
Subtract from briansoupy's ReputationAdd to briansoupy's Reputation briansoupy is a novice
Send a message via AIM to briansoupy Send a message via Skype™ to briansoupy
06-30-2011

Yes.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
to say god, is to sing god
to sing to god, is to draw near to god
to the nearness that is god
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
06-30-2011

Are you just playing Devil's advocate, or do you want to make an argument?
briansoupy
Level 31
Subtract from briansoupy's ReputationAdd to briansoupy's Reputation briansoupy is a novice
06-30-2011

No I really just came in here to to express to the best of my ability that moral absolutism is possible even within an atheistic framework. I like to think that there is an absolute moral principle from which all else moral follows. Whether people f..k up or not is completely irrelevant, something's existence (material or otherwise) is not dependent on it's being discovered or perceived.

I don't want to make an argument, thanks for asking though. I don't have the kind of gall (or time for that matter) to come out and present some hotheaded hyper-confident sequential argument for people to poke at and be all snarky about.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
06-30-2011

Well, I'm still confused, 'cause it sounds again like you're talking about morality existing independent of human beings.
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
06-30-2011

Quote:
I like to think that there is an absolute moral principle from which all else moral follows.
yeah but there isn't

is there an absolute language? no.

morality is a product of society, as is language

Quote:
Whether people f..k up or not is completely irrelevant, something's existence (material or otherwise) is not dependent on it's being discovered or perceived.
4real?
KSP89
Level 28
Subtract from KSP89's ReputationAdd to KSP89's Reputation KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
06-30-2011

Quote:
No I really just came in here to to express to the best of my ability that moral absolutism is possible even within an atheistic framework. I like to think that there is an absolute moral principle from which all else moral follows. Whether people f..k up or not is completely irrelevant, something's existence (material or otherwise) is not dependent on it's being discovered or perceived.

I don't want to make an argument, thanks for asking though. I don't have the kind of gall (or time for that matter) to come out and present some hotheaded hyper-confident sequential argument for people to poke at and be all snarky about.
Just to clarify, are you wanting to raise the point that both atheists and theists can embrace at least some objective moral values? If so, I suppose the only point worthy of further contention would be over what each view would argue makes a given act morally wrong, but I'm not sure anyone wants to go that route.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
briansoupy
Level 31
06-30-2011

Yeah @KSP, mike, Colostimizer, davo: Talking about an objective morality gets and is getting really nasty and metaphysical. Lots of issues about the notion of existence. Like for example we'd have to establish in what sense does a principle exist (ie Do to others as you'd have them do to you). Then after that we have to talk about, like davo brought up, the nature of value judgements and how moral opinions would be classified. Lots of messy issues that, like KSP said, I don't really want to grapple with now.

Ultimately it's not the case that I have an argument or have seen an argument that convinced me of an objective morality, but rather it's the case that every argument I've encountered for relativity seems to be flawed in some way. So yeah maybe morality is relative but I haven't been convinced either way.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
06-30-2011

Authors who make good arguments for or whose ideas generally suggest some sort of relativism: Nietzsche, Durkheim, Foucault, Kuhn, Feyerabend, Althusser, Zizek, Derrida. However, most of the continental philosophers are of that volition in some capacity, and it's not always the central theme, but it's definitely there. Foucault's work with the contingent nature of society and power structures, for example, does a pretty decent job of dismantling any argument that treats absolutism and objectivity as even coherent concepts. The others should be fairly obvious, but the general trend toward (and massive corpus of writing on) the destabilization of binaries and of truth leads to the conclusion Bishop is so buttblistered about. Derrida is great for that.
Spoiler!

Last edited by davobrosia; 06-30-2011 at 11:03 PM.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
06-30-2011

Also, I hate Vegas, I didn't mean to butthurt you, and like I said, I tend to agree with your conclusions, but you made a shitty argument. Sorry I hurt your feelings.
Spoiler!