Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
05-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoupy View Post
I don't know maybe you're right, but "arguably with precious few exceptions"? That's hardly arguable, there were lots of Christian intellectuals around before the Renaissance (Thomas Aquinas, Anselm).
What's arguable is whether they were moderates in the way that the term is used today (and by that I just mean it would be interesting to discuss). What's hardly arguable is that there were precious few of them, at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoupy View Post
Anyways I'm pretty far out of my element here seeing as I don't really know Hitchen's argument. My impression is that he lists off atrocities and wars instigated by organized religion and comes to the conclusion then that God and theism are social ills and should be extinguished. If that's wrong, then sorry, but if it's right I think he's "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak.
I haven't actually read much Hitchens, either. But if memory serves, Dawkins is of the opinion that the baby isn't even in the bathwater. Basically, that the good things attributed to religion either aren't good at all, or they aren't exclusive to religion (e.g. atheists can lead ethical, purposeful lives). Don't hold me to that, though. I might just be projecting.
blankhalotdy
uber n00b (level 2)
Subtract from blankhalotdy's ReputationAdd to blankhalotdy's Reputation blankhalotdy is a novice
12-17-2011

In case you were not aware. Christopher Hitchens has passed away 3 days ago. He is a terrible loss for all critical thinkers, humanists, moralists, and especially for atheists.

Here's to you Hitch.

Last edited by blankhalotdy; 12-17-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added pic