Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via AIM to bjorn_248 Send a message via Skype™ to bjorn_248
09-01-2011

Sorry McDevy . I was just excited about learning stuff in intro to philosophy at school. Didn't mean to offend.

@KSP, I'm in his metaphysics class
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn_248 View Post
Also as far as the mind body argument, I don't really think that's relevant. Even if your consciousness was a floaty ball of dust in the heavens your decisions still have to be explicable, I think. Explicable decisions require causation, otherwise are they random?

That's another argument cited by determinists a lot. "What explains our choices? Our beliefs, desires, and character. None of those are determined by your consciousness." I don't completely buy that.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk.
If we were to duplicate this universe and go back 10 years ago in this alternate but absolutely identical universe up to this point in time, could my future in both universes be different?

I don't think so.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSP89 View Post
Given the way the discussion is going, I thought it might be interesting to post how current philosophers view this issue. This is from a survey given to professional philosophers in 2009 and was taken by 3226 respondents, including 1803 philosophy faculty members and/or PhDs and 829 philosophy graduate students.

Check out the other philosophical questions they surveyed if you're interested: http://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

And Bjorn, who's teaching your philosophy class?
Interesting statistics.
briansoupy
Level 31
Subtract from briansoupy's ReputationAdd to briansoupy's Reputation briansoupy is a novice
Send a message via AIM to briansoupy Send a message via Skype™ to briansoupy
09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSP89 View Post
Just to stay on topic, I'm hoping to make a thread this weekend covering some philosophy issues that haven't been done to death here yet. This section needs to come back to life.
Ya that would be fun, do it.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
to say god, is to sing god
to sing to god, is to draw near to god
to the nearness that is god
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
If we were to duplicate this universe and go back 10 years ago in this alternate but absolutely identical universe up to this point in time, could my future in both universes be different?

I don't think so.
Lol, I said that earlier, but I'm not sure how it plays into what you quoted . The universe wouldn't be identical if things played out differently right, by definition? Unless the universe DID have some sort of randomness to it as an inherent part of the system? Quantum fluctuations? If that's true, I'm not sure you can say that. That doesn't mean the universe isn't predictable by god/determined, it just means that the god would completely understand the system, and that part of the system's causal nature has to do with the randomness as well. I see a paradox arising. Randomness shouldn't be predictable...
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
09-02-2011

Another thing I took issue with was Ayer's lack of a definition for constraint. What is a constraint? What has to be missing for a decision to be unconstrained? I need to read his paper again, then I'll post again.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk.
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
10-17-2011

Quote:
Lol, I said that earlier, but I'm not sure how it plays into what you quoted . The universe wouldn't be identical if things played out differently right, by definition? Unless the universe DID have some sort of randomness to it as an inherent part of the system? Quantum fluctuations? If that's true, I'm not sure you can say that. That doesn't mean the universe isn't predictable by god/determined, it just means that the god would completely understand the system, and that part of the system's causal nature has to do with the randomness as well. I see a paradox arising. Randomness shouldn't be predictable...
Ever take a statistics or physics class? If not, let me give you the low down. Individual random events aren't predictable, at all. Groups or populations of random events are extremely predictable.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
10-17-2011

This nigga.
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Ever take a statistics or physics class? If not, let me give you the low down. Individual random events aren't predictable, at all. Groups or populations of random events are extremely predictable.
Cool. I've never learned about randomness, in any setting. So we can basically ignore any potential paradox there then. I'll have to do some research on my own to figure out why what you said is true though.
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
10-18-2011

Quote:
Cool. I've never learned about randomness, in any setting. So we can basically ignore any potential paradox there then. I'll have to do some research on my own to figure out why what you said is true though.
The best place to start is to find out what probability really means and how it apply to randomness.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .