Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
briansoupy
Level 31
Subtract from briansoupy's ReputationAdd to briansoupy's Reputation briansoupy is a novice
Send a message via AIM to briansoupy Send a message via Skype™ to briansoupy
09-01-2011

Not totally understanding the positions being taken, but I think it's worth establishing that in a determinist world it's not the case that you are deciding anything but it's also not that case that any conscious entity is deciding anything. Decision is kind of a meaningless concept in a determinist framework. You do what you do not by some conscious deliberation but because of the causal chain leading up to the instant of "decision".
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
to say god, is to sing god
to sing to god, is to draw near to god
to the nearness that is god
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
09-01-2011

Cue why free will is irrelevant.

You can't, with confidence, that all your actions were not of a deterministic nature simply because you believe there to be no causal repercussions unbeknownst to yourself.
briansoupy
Level 31
Subtract from briansoupy's ReputationAdd to briansoupy's Reputation briansoupy is a novice
09-01-2011

Free will is still hugely relevant in that it's assumed existence forms the basis for big chunks of language, the legal system, and democratic process. Actually, ardent materialism notwithstanding, free will was pretty much universally assumed until the 20th century.

edit- To expand I think it's an interesting phenomenon how ever since Nietzsche it seems like the intelligentsia is crazy eager to overthrow anything that seems vaguely conservative or antiquated. Just look at some of the important philosophical claims of the last 100 years or so:
"God is dead"
"There is no truth"
"There is no morality"
"The author is dead"

That's why I feel as if much of philosophy is highly politicized or at least subject to this insurgent mood that's been lingering around (for better or worse).
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:

Last edited by briansoupy; 09-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via AIM to bjorn_248 Send a message via Skype™ to bjorn_248
09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDevy View Post
Cue why free will is irrelevant.

You can't, with confidence, that all your actions were not of a deterministic nature simply because you believe there to be no causal repercussions unbeknownst to yourself.
I still don't really understand what you are saying. For some reason I'm reading your sentences as fragments that I can't make sense of. I can't, with confidence...can't what?

I don't really get the points being made either lol. Even with free will only one choice will be made, so if you wind back the clocks the choice will always be that one. I currently accept Ayer's definition of free will, until of course NEXT CLASS LOLOL

Just to be clear, I was never arguing against determinism and already stated that I guess soft determinism seems to satisfy me the most.
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
briansoupy
Level 31
09-01-2011

"can't say" is what he was going for, I think.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
KSP89
Level 28
Subtract from KSP89's ReputationAdd to KSP89's Reputation KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
09-01-2011

Given the way the discussion is going, I thought it might be interesting to post how current philosophers view this issue. This is from a survey given to professional philosophers in 2009 and was taken by 3226 respondents, including 1803 philosophy faculty members and/or PhDs and 829 philosophy graduate students.

Quote:
Free will: compatibilism, libertarianism, or no free will?
Accept or lean toward: compatibilism 550 / 931 (59%)
Other 139 / 931 (14.9%)
Accept or lean toward: libertarianism 128 / 931 (13.7%)
Accept or lean toward: no free will 114 / 931 (12.2%)
Check out the other philosophical questions they surveyed if you're interested: http://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

And Bjorn, who's teaching your philosophy class?
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via AIM to bjorn_248 Send a message via Skype™ to bjorn_248
09-01-2011

Greg Ray. Yay tapatalk. You ever go to gatorlans anymore? I went to the one that just happened. They did have street fighter there.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk.
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
McDevy
Soshified
09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansoupy View Post
"can't say" is what he was going for, I think.
^ It was just a typo, bjorn.
KSP89
Level 28
Subtract from KSP89's ReputationAdd to KSP89's Reputation KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom KSP89 wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
09-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn_248 View Post
Greg Ray. Yay tapatalk. You ever go to gatorlans anymore? I went to the one that just happened. They did have street fighter there.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk.
You're lucky to have Dr. Ray--usually he just sticks to teaching graduate logic courses and upper level metaphysics. I'm actually a little jealous.

Just to stay on topic, I'm hoping to make a thread this weekend covering some philosophy issues that haven't been done to death here yet. This section needs to come back to life.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
McDevy
Soshified
09-01-2011

So, davo kind of surmised this whole thing even before you brought it up after bjorn -- what don't you quite understand again?