Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
08-12-2011

Actually, most forms of logic are fairly closed systems. It's fundamentally broken by several paradoxes and problems, but it's still complete.
Spoiler!
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
08-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
Actually, most forms of logic are fairly closed systems. It's fundamentally broken by several paradoxes and problems, but it's still complete.
Question for you, because I don't have the answer:

Did we discover the rules of logic or did we create it? Are our rules of logic an inherent truth within this universe, or is it a set of rules humans made that is conveniently consistent with our subjective perception of reality? Is our logic's reliability just a necessary assumption for our cultural and/or species' progression, or is it actually universally self evident?
zer0mystery
Catfish Billy
Subtract from zer0mystery's ReputationAdd to zer0mystery's Reputation zer0mystery is a novice
08-12-2011

I don't think anyone can answer that question. As far as I'm concerned, everything we know is man-made.
Afraid
Level 35
Subtract from Afraid's ReputationAdd to Afraid's Reputation Afraid is legendary Afraid is legendary Afraid is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Afraid Send a message via MSN to Afraid
08-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
Question for you, because I don't have the answer:

Did we discover the rules of logic or did we create it? Are our rules of logic an inherent truth within this universe, or is it a set of rules humans made that is conveniently consistent with our subjective perception of reality? Is our logic's reliability just a necessary assumption for our cultural and/or species' progression, or is it actually universally self evident?
Logic is simple. It's the reason why you don't continue to look for something after you've found it. It can't be man-made, because you're already born with an innate sense for such simple ideas. And, if logic didn't exist, neither would mathematics, philosophy, etc. It's not a chicken-or-the-egg argument either; without logic, we would have no idea how to derive logic. You can't create it, and it's relative to the universe to which it is applied.

And as for free will, obviously it would contradict Christianity if God exists. Many Christians I've met believe that there is no free will, that everything is predetermined. One of the most common arguments against God takes this a step further, saying that since the premise that free will is against Christianity is true, then either of these two must also be true:

A) God isn't omnipotent (implying that free will exists)
B) God predestines people to be punishes and there's nothing they can do about it (implying that God is, at worst, malevolent, and at best neutral. The Bible (if it can be believed), states that God is love)

Last edited by Afraid; 08-12-2011 at 01:50 AM.
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
08-12-2011

Back to free-will again?
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
08-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraid View Post
Logic is simple. It's the reason why you don't continue to look for something after you've found it.
That's not really pure logic. It works on assumptions which may not even be valid. I actually generally check a few more places, just to be sure. To be fair, I'm an anomaly, and have occasionally found the thing again, or not found it where it is.
On an unrelated note, the notion of location isn't as solid as you'd hope. It's quite possible for the same thing to be in two locations, although this is generally apparent only on the quantum level.
Quote:
It can't be man-made, because you're already born with an innate sense for such simple ideas.
That might be true, but I suspect not as you're thinking about it. Logical thinking doesn't come naturally to plenty of people, and even if it does, faulty assumptions can make it useless. Logic has no ties to the world we live in until you make assumptions about it.
Quote:
And, if logic didn't exist, neither would mathematics, philosophy, etc. It's not a chicken-or-the-egg argument either; without logic, we would have no idea how to derive logic. You can't create it, and it's relative to the universe to which it is applied.
I'm not sure that the possibility of logic not existing even makes sense.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
08-26-2011

Oh my god it's Froggy.

Elmo <3
SeaHan
Wu-Tang Banga
Subtract from SeaHan's ReputationAdd to SeaHan's Reputation SeaHan is a novice
Send a message via AIM to SeaHan Send a message via Skype™ to SeaHan
08-28-2011

Love you Froggy, you my boy, blue
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Oh my god it's Froggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHan View Post
Love you Froggy, you my boy, blue
Hehe. Thanks. I'm still around, I just haven't seen much stuff to post on.

I suppose I could start a topic on some of my latest exploits into the realm of the improbable, unlikely, and pretty much just strange.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via AIM to bjorn_248 Send a message via Skype™ to bjorn_248
09-01-2011

I know this isn't really about the issue you are bringing up (religion) but we've been talking about Free Will in my intro to philosophy class and at first we were presented with the argument from action (for determinism) then the argument from playing at cards (for free will). My initial thought was that the argument from action sounds pretty convincing, and that if we change the definition of free will from an instantaneous conscious decision (magical shit, right?) to a decision that "the self" makes, they are totally compatible with one another. Then this week in lecture we went over Ayer's argument that shows that there is no conflict between free will and determinism, and I think I'll just take the position of soft determinism now. Free will, as defined by Ayer, which I agree with, is possible in a completely causal universe. Both intro to philosophy and metaphysics have been really cool so far .

A causal universe leaves room for an omniscient god, as well.
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM

Last edited by bjorn_248; 09-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.