Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
08-12-2011

Nope.avi.tiff.exe
Spoiler!
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
08-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0mystery View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you just hit the f..king nail on the head.
Just make sure you didn't skip over the part where I said I don't actually believe that, or that God exists at all.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
08-12-2011

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, you just hit the f..king nail on the head. God is timeless, theoretically speaking, and our rules don't apply to him and vice versa. I remember discussing this very subject in my Philosophy of Religion class last year, and I seem to remember that one of the main points about God was that he exists outside of our realm of time and space. You have to remember that he is GOD, so even if he did know the future, that doesn't mean that we don't have free-will. He exists outside of our world, and if he does exist, we probably can't even fathom what he is or what he can possibly do. Traveling to the future could easily be a cake-walk for him, but that doesn't mean that our decisions and experiences are pre-determined.
If God is timeless, he didn't have enough time to create anything.

If God is changing or causing change , then we must assign time to him.

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 08-12-2011 at 12:48 AM.
zer0mystery
Catfish Billy
Subtract from zer0mystery's ReputationAdd to zer0mystery's Reputation zer0mystery is a novice
08-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer View Post
Just make sure you didn't skip over the part where I said I don't actually believe that, or that God exists at all.
I don't believe in God either. I'm just saying that if God exists, he's probably f..king timeless and all that blahblah.

Edit: And Frag, I still think you are putting God on the same level as us. I'm trying to say that if God exists, then we have to remember that he is GOD and as far as I'm concerned, anything is possible if you're God.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
08-12-2011

I immediately regret resurrecting this thread.
zer0mystery
Catfish Billy
Subtract from zer0mystery's ReputationAdd to zer0mystery's Reputation zer0mystery is a novice
08-12-2011

I actually regret posting in here. I don't actually know what the fuck I'm talking about, so whatever. Just thought I'd jump in, but now I'll probably get eaten alive.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
08-12-2011

I wasn't really talking about you so much.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
08-12-2011

Quote:
Edit: And Frag, I still think you are putting God on the same level as us. I'm trying to say that if God exists, then we have to remember that he is GOD and as far as I'm concerned, anything is possible if you're God.
If human logic isn't compatible with God, then it is contradictory for humans to attempt to deduce anything about him. That essentially invalidates all religions that make a claim about God.

Time and change are intertwined because change is going from state A to state B, and time is the order of all events/states.

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 08-12-2011 at 12:57 AM.
zer0mystery
Catfish Billy
08-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
If human logic isn't compatible with God, then it is contradictory for humans to attempt to deduce anything about him. That essentially invalidates all religions that make a claim about God.
Can humans really deduce anything about God, though? Our logic could be completely different than his logic. Anything we think we know about God or about the way he functions could be completely false. We know absolutely nothing about God, which is why the debate still rages on of if he even actually exists or not.

AND, human logic is forever changing. If human logic is always changing, how can we expect God's logic to be compatible with ours? 100 years from now something that we thought was good now, could be seen as evil. Does that mean that God thought it was good in the present, but 100 years from now he will see it as evil? I just don't think you can expect human logic to be compatible with Gods logic. We're not Gods and he's not human.

Quote:
Time and change are intertwined because change is going from state A to state B, and time is the order of all events/states.
Yeah, that is on OUR plane of existence though. He's on a whole different plane.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
08-12-2011

Quote:
Can humans really deduce anything about God, though? Our logic could be completely different than his logic. Anything we think we know about God or about the way he functions could be completely false. We know absolutely nothing about God, which is why the debate still rages on of if he even actually exists or not.

AND, human logic is forever changing. If human logic is always changing, how can we expect God's logic to be compatible with ours? 100 years from now something that we thought was good now, could be seen as evil. Does that mean that God thought it was good in the present, but 100 years from now he will see it as evil? I just don't think you can expect human logic to be compatible with Gods logic. We're not Gods and he's not human.

Yeah, that is on OUR plane of existence though. He's on a whole different plane.
No idea, it's certainly possible. But if what you said is true, all religions are invalidated because religions attempt to assign truths to God. That's all I was getting at, so you can't use this point from a religious perspective. You can use it from an agnostic perspective, though.

We can also conclude that if this is the case, God designed us specifically to not know of his existence, meaning we would have no valid reason to believe in his existence.

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 08-12-2011 at 01:18 AM.