Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv1ncible View Post
  1. Whatever begins to exist, has a cause.
  1. Besides God (or insert other concept of intelligent mind here)?

Quote:
  2. The universe began to exist (meaning a finite universe, a theory widely accepted throughout the scientific community at this point).
  3. The universe has a cause.
  4. The creation of the universe was the beginning of space and time, therefore the cause of the creation of the universe must be an un-caused, space-less, timeless, and immaterial being.
  5. Something exists so it must have been caused by a being that overcomes the limitations of that something's existence. Easy as cake... if only cake existed.

Quote:
  6. There are only two things that fit this description. Something that is either abstract, or an intelligent mind.
  7. I would love to know how that logically flows from the argument (not an insult, didn't even watch the video, but would love an explanation of the deductive logic here).

Quote:
  8. Something that is abstract (such as a number, or color) cannot cause anything, therefore the cause of the universe must be an intelligent mind.
  9. Holy shit! Forget the point I made before, your argument is basically hopeless from there.

Quote:
  10. This mind must be personal. If it were impersonal, it could not cause a temporal creation such as the universe, but only other eternal creations such as itself. Only a personal mind that is infinite, could cause something finite, because only a personal infinite mind could freely choose to cause something finite without any antecedent, determining conditions.
I don't mean to be insulting, but I would really love for a breakdown of this as well. It makes no sense from how I'm reading it.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
03-31-2011

Don't treat knowledge as a verb.
Spoiler!
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via AIM to bjorn_248 Send a message via Skype™ to bjorn_248
03-31-2011

Response davo?
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
03-31-2011

Any sort of "timeline" by which events are bound to happen precludes making decisions of free will, by definition.
Spoiler!
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
Subtract from bjorn_248's ReputationAdd to bjorn_248's Reputation bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided bjorn_248 is bustin' chills and getting paided
03-31-2011

So the only time of time line on which free will is plausible is one on which events could change? It feels wrong :/
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
03-31-2011

There is no timeline on which free will is possible. If there is a deterministic timeline, there is no free will.
Spoiler!
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
Subtract from Winning's ReputationAdd to Winning's Reputation Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Winning Send a message via Yahoo to Winning Send a message via Skype™ to Winning
03-31-2011

I wonder if God could be bounded by logic...

And what should happen if god were to change his plans for the universe?

I feel as if humanity tends to underestimate the power of infinity. That we sort of expect infinite power and knowledge to mean that God has a constant set of feelings and doesn't ever change.

Hell, we even assume that God has a purpose.
Al's sweet ass

Last edited by Winning; 03-31-2011 at 10:08 PM.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
03-31-2011

I feel as if people on the internet tend to underunderstand the concept of infinity.
Spoiler!
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
04-01-2011

Been watching some Craig debates. He's quite amazing at rhetoric and verbal delivery. Logic... not so much.
bjorn_248
Bumbling Buffoon
04-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
There is no timeline on which free will is possible. If there is a deterministic timeline, there is no free will.
So the only time line on which free will is possible is one that allows for past events to change if time travel was hypothetically possible.

Let me set it up like this. Nobody knows what you will choose (no god or omniscient force), you make choices of your own free will. You will, for every choice you make, only make one. You can't make both, or the other one (after the fact). If you choose to do something of your own free will, looking back, you still only made one choice. Now if it was hypothetically possible to slide the "time counter" back and forth, so to speak, like a movie, why were those choices not made of free will? I understand your argument (or maybe I don't) that if a movie exists that plays the story of our lives, and we are just the actors, then we are not making those choices. But the way I see it is, we shape the movie with our free will, not the movie shapes us. This is probably some discussion that is hundreds of years old...tell me what's it's called . If it's not possible to "step outside of time" so to speak, this perspective would hold free will, would it not (basically everything but the time slider part)?
Errare humanum est

Atiemark <3

Mac Encoding

Render Farm

IRC Server

ENCODING PROGRAM