Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
The Colostomizer's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 290,211
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
#181
12-16-2005
Default

Your first example was a serious relationship. You cared about her, and there was an expectation of remaining true to each other. You were scarred because she did not hold up her end of the bargain. You also feel guilty now because of your Christian beliefs. I'm talking about a relationship where there is no emotional connection, and where there is no guilt from going against God's word. If that relationship you mentioned had only been about sex, and you didn't care about the girl, and you hadn't turned Christian, would you still feel guilty about the intimacy you shared?

The second example you brought up, that guy had no good reason to feel guilty (or at least none that you told me about). Why was the first girl running through his head? Was it simply because people told him premarital sex was wrong?

There's another problem with Christianity. "I poured out to God because when she was gone, i had nothing left to hold on to. So i ran to God and offered up my life to Him." You accepted Christ because it made it easier to go on living.
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#182
12-16-2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer
Your first example was a serious relationship. You cared about her, and there was an expectation of remaining true to each other. You were scarred because she did not hold up her end of the bargain. You also feel guilty now because of your Christian beliefs. I'm talking about a relationship where there is no emotional connection, and where there is no guilt from going against God's word. If that relationship you mentioned had only been about sex, and you didn't care about the girl, and you hadn't turned Christian, would you still feel guilty about the intimacy you shared?

The second example you brought up, that guy had no good reason to feel guilty (or at least none that you told me about). Why was the first girl running through his head? Was it simply because people told him premarital sex was wrong?

There's another problem with Christianity. "I poured out to God because when she was gone, i had nothing left to hold on to. So i ran to God and offered up my life to Him." You accepted Christ because it made it easier to go on living.
Yes, because what i did was just plain selfish. It wasn't out of love. I don't need to be a Christian to know that being selfish is rotten and unrespectable.

He couldn't explain why. He said that when he had pre-marital sex, he wish he could just have done away with the emotional part because it seems to always cause problems for those who just want to have sex b/c it feels good and not have to pay ANY price for it. He told me he looked for a way out to but he said it was as if one can not exist without the other.

I knew this would raise you to question me. Look, i'm not going to spam this thread by giving my testimony. Just know that that wasn't the reason i became a believer. It played a part in the justification process, yes. But it was not that mistake that led me souly to accept Christianity as my belief. I don't hold my beliefs just to "make it through life easily". Who said Christianity was easy? I hold my belief about God and Jesus because I KNOW it's true. I don't care what others say. I believe.

Last edited by Vrbas; 12-16-2005 at 05:07 PM.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
The Colostomizer's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 290,211
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
#183
12-16-2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
Yes, because what i did was just plain selfish. It wasn't out of love. I don't need to be a Christian to know that being selfish is rotten and unrespectable.
Doing something just for yourself is not inherently bad. For example, like I said earlier, you eat chocolate for selfish reasons. And yet, it's not morally wrong to eat chocolate. So, you can't say that having sex for pleasure is wrong because you're just doing it for yourself. We can agree that having sex for your own pleasure and eating chocolate are both selfish. But you say that sex for your own pleasure is morally wrong and eating chocolate isn't. That means there has to be something that distinguishes sex for pleasure from eating chocolate. So, what distinguishes the two? What makes premarital sex wrong that doesn't apply to eating chocolate? Do you see what I'm getting at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
He couldn't explain why. He said that when he had pre-marital sex, he wish he could just have done away with the emotional part because it seems to always cause problems for those who just want to have sex b/c it feels good and not have to pay ANY price for it. He told me he looked for a way out to but he said it was as if one can not exist without the other.
"He couldn't explain why." Might that be because it was just in his head? Maybe he shouldn't have made an emotional commitment to someone he didn't plan on marrying and then have sex with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
I knew this would raise you to question me. Look, i'm not going to spam this thread by giving my testimony. Just know that that wasn't the reason i became a believer. It played a part in the justification process, yes. But it was not that mistake that led me souly to accept Christianity as my belief. I don't hold my beliefs just to "make it through life easily". Who said Christianity was easy? I hold my belief about God and Jesus because I KNOW it's true.
Don't worry, I won't consider it spam.

I say Christianity is easy. I've heard many Christians argue that Christianity is actually harder because you have to abide by the morals recorded in the Bible, that you live by a higher standard. In my opinion, that's a very small price to pay for the belief that there's a God who loves you and the assurance that you'll spend eternity in Heaven. Think about it from my point of view. I'm not sure what happens in the afterlife. It's possible in my mind that there is nothingness after death, and that scares the hell out of me. It would be so much easier for me to accept Christ and feel conviction about what will happen when I die, but I refuse to accept something unless I'm justified in doing so. That it would make things easy is not a justification. I'm not saying that you consciously accepted Christ just because it made things easier, but you've got to admit that holding your beliefs with a steadfast conviction is really nice when compared to not being sure what's going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
I don't care what others say. I believe.
Would you agree that the only way we can make progress in this world is if people are willing to change their beliefs and opinions based on new evidence? Isn't closemindedness evil? I hope you can agree with me there. If you can, you've got to realize that Christianity, like every other religion, is closeminded. They all say, "We're 100% right, there's no chance that we're wrong, so you don't have to worry about someone proving us wrong because that will never happen." When you accept Christianity, you immunize yourself against conflicting beliefs.

You know how when we look at the stars, we're seeing what they looked like billions or trillions of years ago? (Let me know if I have to explain this further.) Let's say a wormhole is discovered (an Einstein-Rosen bridge, look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what I'm talking about), and a guy goes into it and instantly comes out at a point in space around 2000 lightyears away from Earth. Let's say that this man has a telescope capable of such intense magnification that he can clearly see what's going on at any point on Earth, as if he's standing right there. Let's say this guy observes Jesus while he walks the Earth from when he's born to when he's supposedly resurrected. If this guy finds out that none of the miracles happened, and therefore had proof that the Bible was a fallacy, how many Christians would stop believing? I think that the vast majority of true believers would instantly disregard what this man had proof of, and they'd say exactly what you did. "I don't care what others say. I believe." They'd say that because they're immunized against anything that conflicts with their beliefs.

Last edited by The Colostomizer; 12-16-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#184
12-16-2005
Default

Look, beliefs/religions ALL require some type of faith. You will NEVER find ALL the answers to life in this lifetime. Even if you dedicate your ENTIRE life doing so. NO ONE can prove EVERYTHING. No one can prove we have been designed by a higher being, despite such a magnitude of evidence. No one can prove evolution is true, despite what many scientist have come up with. No one can prove that the big bang theory is right or wrong. No one can prove ANYTHING. Religioins and beliefs can not be proven. That is where faith comes in.

Here's a question, i've tried proving that God exists, try proving He doesn't.
Deadly Buni
Ezekiel 23:19-21
Deadly Buni's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 6,060
Subtract from Deadly Buni's ReputationAdd to Deadly Buni's Reputation Deadly Buni is a novice
#185
12-17-2005
Default

Have it if it makes you feel happy and content. No use making your self less happy when you could be expieriencing bliss from an orgasm. Live your life the way you want to, chasing happiness or following a religion which depraves you of the joys of life. We have condoms and birth control for a reason. It's so you can lower the chances of getting a woman pregnant. Sex has nothing to do with love. Sex is for pleasure and baby making, not love. That's a lie. If you love someone you romanticise with them { I don't know if that is a word :o ). The only morals I believe in are not to lie, steal, muder or cheat.



Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#186
12-17-2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc hiPPo
Have it if it makes you feel happy and content. No use making your self less happy when you could be expieriencing bliss from an orgasm. Live your life the way you want to, chasing happiness or following a religion which depraves you of the joys of life. We have condoms and birth control for a reason. It's so you can lower the chances of getting a woman pregnant. Sex has nothing to do with love. Sex is for pleasure and baby making, not love. That's a lie. If you love someone you romanticise with them { I don't know if that is a word :o ). The only morals I believe in are not to lie, steal, muder or cheat.
To each his own. No point in argueing when it's not going to make a difference.
Deadly Buni
Ezekiel 23:19-21
Deadly Buni's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 6,060
Subtract from Deadly Buni's ReputationAdd to Deadly Buni's Reputation Deadly Buni is a novice
#187
12-17-2005
Default

Your not going to change anyones mind in an argument when it is strictly personal opinions. You need facts to change someones mind. And you must present the facts.



Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#188
12-17-2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc hiPPo
Your not going to change anyones mind in an argument when it is strictly personal opinions. You need facts to change someones mind. And you must present the facts.
Facts don't matter. People believe what they want to believe. Doesn't matter how much evidence there is. People are stubborn, me included. It all leads back to the pride of man. No one wants to admit anything. No one wants to say "i'm wrong, you're right".

Last edited by Vrbas; 12-17-2005 at 12:26 AM.
iCeAt
Level 31
iCeAt's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,114
Subtract from iCeAt's ReputationAdd to iCeAt's Reputation iCeAt is a novice
Send a message via AIM to iCeAt
#189
12-17-2005
Default

I will say it again lol.

The main point behind what veryone but me vrbas, and maybe a couple others is.

You guys are selfish and want the cake and eat it, worrying nothing about what might happen next...
Deadly Buni
Ezekiel 23:19-21
Deadly Buni's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 6,060
Subtract from Deadly Buni's ReputationAdd to Deadly Buni's Reputation Deadly Buni is a novice
#190
12-17-2005
Default

What if you have a high metabolism and work out daily?



 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off