Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-15-2005

Why do you have to love the girl? Why can't you have responsible sex just because it feels good? What is the tangible effect of not waiting until marriage? I mean, is there an actual reason for not having premarital sex, or is it just in your head?
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
12-15-2005

If you ask me, it all traces back to the idea of Relative vs. Absolute. There in lies the answer to almost ALL questions of the mind and morals.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-15-2005

I think that we as a race can come to a concensus on morals based on our genetic programming. Sure, every person is different, but we're all human. We're designed to agree on what is conducive of human happiness and what is conducive of human suffering. We don't need holy books to live rightly. We can go by what we know to be true because of our genetics. Barring ridiculously extreme (and incredibly rare) environmental pressures, we can all agree that murder is wrong because we're genetically designed to agree. And we can agree that, outside of religion, there is no tangible effect to having premarital sex. (Inside of religion, you can argue that there is a tangible effect in that you're turning your back to God and might end up in Hell, but right now, I'm just trying to show you there's no good reason outside of religion.) It's all in your head, and whenever the only reason for something being wrong is that you think it's wrong, that belief is unjustified.
King Bond
Member #7180
Subtract from King Bond's ReputationAdd to King Bond's Reputation King Bond is on the rise to fame King Bond is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to King Bond Send a message via MSN to King Bond
12-15-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer
I think that we as a race can come to a concensus on morals based on our genetic programming. Sure, every person is different, but we're all human. We're designed to agree on what is conducive of human happiness and what is conducive of human suffering. We don't need holy books to live rightly. We can go by what we know to be true because of our genetics. Barring ridiculously extreme (and incredibly rare) environmental pressures, we can all agree that murder is wrong because we're genetically designed to agree. And we can agree that, outside of religion, there is no tangible effect to having premarital sex. (Inside of religion, you can argue that there is a tangible effect in that you're turning your back to God and might end up in Hell, but right now, I'm just trying to show you there's no good reason outside of religion.) It's all in your head, and whenever the only reason for something being wrong is that you think it's wrong, that belief is unjustified.
Quite frankly, after reading that post, I'm quite sure you don't have a single shred of knowledge on this subject. You're just a guy that wants to have sex that uses big words to try and cover for that. "we can all agree that murder is wrong because we're genetically designed to agree." Well, that my friend, is bullshit. Agreeing or disagreeing with murder being wrong is not in our genetic structure. It's in our raising. If a child is brought up around body mutilation and slaughter and death; obviously he will be more okay with it. He may even agree with it. I'm not saying this happens often. But I find it extremely farfetched to say that belief in a certain matter, goes as deep as genetics. Genetics are your hair colour, eye colour, size of feet, amount of hair on your chest (if you're a guy ). Genetics is not: Christian, Buddha, thinking murder is okay, etc. You're bashing religion because you feel you can have sex with whoever, whenever and not feel any repercussions from this act. Vrbas was not saying you will have any religious differences with your wife when you get older, about premarital sex. It's the fact that you've had the premarital sex. What if after you get married she starts bringing up all the girls you've slept with? I'm pretty sure that's an arguement that some couples break up over. Do you see religion anywhere in that arguement? NO! I know this forum gave you an oppurtunity to feel smart and important but I'm sorry, you're not.
GT: King Bond
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
12-15-2005

I am inclined to believe that our genetics if anything lead us to think murder is ok, especially if it is in our own interest. We are a selfish species and that is what our genetics are designed for self protection and we are only out for the whole species on the part of reproduction, like 99% of the other species of the world. We are just selfish.

It is our development of our brain, not our genetics. . ... hmmm. .. . new thought as typing.

If you are saying that our genetics to develop our brains as they are now is what leads us to think what is right or wrong then I would agree. On a more basic level of straight genetics I would whole heartedly disagree.

But if it is our brains that are what telling us is right and wrong most of that is through outside sources and not really our own.

EDIT: But if it is our brain then it is our social structure that is teaching us right and wrong. . . I don't know if I can view genetics into that.

Complicated, I guess I would need clarification on your genetics point before going any further.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
King Bond
Member #7180
Subtract from King Bond's ReputationAdd to King Bond's Reputation King Bond is on the rise to fame King Bond is on the rise to fame
12-15-2005

He used a lot of big words but only had one real point and I did not agree with it. Genetics only go as far as the conception of the child. After that it is influence on our brain.
Vrbas
i'm around
12-15-2005

Quote:
Here's a question i think is worth asking..... Who do you think designed us?
King Bond
Member #7180
12-15-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
Oh boy. You just opened up a whole WORLD of debate. Please don't ask that question
Vrbas
i'm around
12-15-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bond
Oh boy. You just opened up a whole WORLD of debate. Please don't ask that question
Ha, i'm sure i did. I'm just pointing that out. Y'all always say we are "designed" or "programmed" that way, but there has to be a designer or a programmer that made us the way we are, that is, if you believe we are "designed".
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
12-15-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bond
Quite frankly, after reading that post, I'm quite sure you don't have a single shred of knowledge on this subject. You're just a guy that wants to have sex that uses big words to try and cover for that. "we can all agree that murder is wrong because we're genetically designed to agree." Well, that my friend, is bullshit. Agreeing or disagreeing with murder being wrong is not in our genetic structure. It's in our raising. If a child is brought up around body mutilation and slaughter and death; obviously he will be more okay with it. He may even agree with it. I'm not saying this happens often. But I find it extremely farfetched to say that belief in a certain matter, goes as deep as genetics. Genetics are your hair colour, eye colour, size of feet, amount of hair on your chest (if you're a guy ). Genetics is not: Christian, Buddha, thinking murder is okay, etc. You're bashing religion because you feel you can have sex with whoever, whenever and not feel any repercussions from this act. Vrbas was not saying you will have any religious differences with your wife when you get older, about premarital sex. It's the fact that you've had the premarital sex. What if after you get married she starts bringing up all the girls you've slept with? I'm pretty sure that's an arguement that some couples break up over. Do you see religion anywhere in that arguement? NO! I know this forum gave you an oppurtunity to feel smart and important but I'm sorry, you're not.
Quit being a jerkass and argue the issue. It's idiots like you that bring the debate section down. Don't attack someone because you disagree with them; it doesn't show much intelligence on your part. Do you not like it when people use big words? Should I dumb it down for you? Well, too bad. Get a dictionary if you need it. I use "big" words because it helps me to get my point across effectively (at least to intelligent people).

The vast majority of our beliefs come from our environment. But some can come from genetics. "If a child is brought up around body mutilation and slaughter and death; obviously he will be more okay with it. He may even agree with it. I'm not saying this happens often." If you had paid attention when you read my post, you would have seen that I already brought that situation up.
Quote:
Barring ridiculously extreme (and incredibly rare) environmental pressures, we can all agree that murder is wrong because we're genetically designed to agree.
If a child is brought up to think that body mutilation, slaughter and death are alright, then the child is in an extremely rare situation, and the child is learning something that goes against what he was born knowing. Life in general prefers to go on living over death, not because it is learned, but because it's instinctual. If you can't agree with this, I don't know what your problem is. Why do animals have survival mechanisms? Why do we feel fear? It's because we're designed to prefer life over death. If we're designed to prefer life over death, and we understand that murder ends life and brings death, we can agree that murder is wrong, not because of society, but because we're designed to.

MarkedAchilles, every species' foremost concern (not consciously) is for the species as a whole. Sure, self-protection is very important, but reproduction is just as deeply ingrained in every species. And really, self-protection is another form of concern for the species as a whole. If every lion strives to protect itself, then lions are doing well as a whole. When animals kill each other, at least the vast majority of the time it is because of competition. The weak are killed off and the species becomes stronger as a whole.

Our genetics tell us that something is wrong if it is antithetical to our survival, because our survival is very important to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
I figured someone would ask this. I don't know who designed us, so I'm not going to claim that I know.

Last edited by The Colostomizer; 12-15-2005 at 02:12 PM.