Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
02-28-2010

Proposing to keep a construct in society, which only truly benefits a special interest group (that of which openly advocates mental instability/insanity) just for the same old 'Santa Claus' fib (of which doesn't even lay on the same merits) is a pretty bad reason.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
02-28-2010

Quote:
Society fundamentally works these things out. Experimentation and incentive will always provide the workaround. A book that scares people with unsubstantiated wrist slapping and condemnation isn't going to really teach anyone anything they can apply to their own lives.
I like the way you put that, a lot.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
Being White
Level 39
Subtract from Being White's ReputationAdd to Being White's Reputation Being White is a novice
02-28-2010

Sooooooo

You want Morals to be kept in society, not religion. Just correcting you there sir.

Last edited by Being White; 02-28-2010 at 10:58 PM.
XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater ohm View Post
I like the way you put that, a lot.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think I have ever/will ever say anything close to as cool as what he said.
She only comes to me in my dreams
So sleep becomes routine
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

She only comes to me in my dreams

So sleep becomes addicting
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terefall View Post
Personally, I believe it should. I believe that humanity needs the moral code set in place by the bible to survive.
Although scientific evidence for a God isn't adding up, I think that the moral code should stay in place, regardless of scientific evidence.
Perhaps religion should be like a Santa Claus, when people are old enough the will discover that it isn't real.
Elaboration?
Morality as derived from the Bible? Hope you like dying.
Spoiler!
Terefall
Level 28
Subtract from Terefall's ReputationAdd to Terefall's Reputation Terefall is a novice
03-06-2010

I do agree with you on the contradictory aspects of the Bible, but we all must agree that Christianity does impose moral values upon youth and its followers. The Ten Commandments, for example.
As Davo showed the Bible clearly is ridiculous when analyzed, but most Christians do not follow the "surely shall be put to death" scriptures. I'm noting the "nursery rhyme" moral values youth obtains from religion and the "don't sin or you'll go to hell" aspect. That is the topic.
mixcloud.com/vinegar
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terefall View Post
I do agree with you on the contradictory aspects of the Bible, but we all must agree that Christianity does impose moral values upon youth and its followers. The Ten Commandments, for example.
As Davo showed the Bible clearly is ridiculous when analyzed, but most Christians do not follow the "surely shall be put to death" scriptures. I'm noting the "nursery rhyme" moral values youth obtains from religion and the "don't sin or you'll go to hell" aspect. That is the topic.
That's silly to assume people should read between the lines of every interpretational text, especially one dealing with ethics and morals.

The obvious answer is exclusion of the former in the first place. Don't tell me our species hasn't got a good answer to the Bible, that we're dependent on it's teachings.

We made it up until any sort of ethic book was made, and we'll live past it. Life is not contingent on a set of rules, it will just ebb and flow in correlation with the information it's provided, provided we assumed a whole society ebb and flows on a short list of doctrines. I think that's a bit of a stretch.
Babby
Level 28
Subtract from Babby's ReputationAdd to Babby's Reputation Babby is on the rise to fame Babby is on the rise to fame
11-13-2011

Nobody can really prove anything at this point, so you can't exactly just ban a certain belief because you believe it to be invalid. And anyway, religion gives people hope in times of struggle and suffering.
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
Subtract from Winning's ReputationAdd to Winning's Reputation Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Winning Send a message via Yahoo to Winning Send a message via Skype™ to Winning
11-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babby View Post
Nobody can really prove anything at this point, so you can't exactly just ban a certain belief because you believe it to be invalid. And anyway, religion gives people hope in times of struggle and suffering.
Hence the if in the title.
Al's sweet ass

Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
11-13-2011

God is everything. The fact that the universe, or anything in existence for that matter, even exists, is a miracle. That should be enough for the world, no need for a book with a bunch of gibberish.