Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
07-23-2009

Really?
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Deep.
For example, an Athiest would see NiceGuy as simply a person who lurks around on forums and posts one sentence responses in order to make himself feel better. Whereas someone who believes in a "God" would have to view NiceGuy as a purposeful human being.

I can see why so few believe in God.
A man's errors are his portals of discovery. -- James Joyce

Last edited by ReVeLaTioN; 07-24-2009 at 08:24 AM.
gotzeus
Level 45
Subtract from gotzeus's ReputationAdd to gotzeus's Reputation gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to gotzeus
07-24-2009

Quote:
I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details.
-- Albert Einstein
I wonder, did he overlook his own thoughts?
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
07-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeLaTioN View Post
For example, an Athiest would see NiceGuy as simply a person who lurks around on forums and posts one sentence responses in order to make himself feel better. Whereas someone who believes in a "God" would have to view NiceGuy as a purposeful human being.

Yea. I can't recall ever seeing NG write more than a sentence.

I was just reading his book on the can yesterday, and got so annoyed when all he did was repeat sentences. Arrogant jerk.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
07-24-2009

Quote:

Well I certainly wouldn't want to go around on forums posting things in order to make myself feel worse, would I? It just happens that every body of text you write is so meaningless and void of any critical thinking that it's not worth the press of more than six keys. You ought be happy, since me putting very little effort into responding allows you and the rest of the peanut gallery to save some face. However, I'll humor you on this one.

Quote:
For example,
What are you noting an example of again? Your cliff notes understanding of existentialism?

Quote:
Whereas someone who believes in a "God" would have to view NiceGuy as a purposeful human being.
Why would the belief in a god necessitate the belief in all human beings - or all things even - having a purpose? Oh, right, you're so flat minded that when you use the word "god" you really are only talking about the Judeo-Christian God, rather than a Being called or entitled god.

I have a friend that saw god while tripping on mushrooms. When I tell this to believers, they say it doesn't count. And I agree. You know why? Because he was f..king tripping on mushrooms.

Quote:
I can see why so few believe in God
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
Yea. I can't recall ever seeing NG write more than a sentence.

I was just reading his book on the can yesterday, and got so annoyed when all he did was repeat sentences. Arrogant jerk.
Haha.
Busy, busy, busy
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-25-2009

Quote:
It just happens that every body of text you write is so meaningless and void of any critical thinking that it's not worth the press of more than six keys.
Then why post anything at all? You could save those six key strokes and put them towards your next Pulitzer prize winning book.

Quote:
Oh, right, you're so flat minded that when you use the word "god" you really are only talking about the Judeo-Christian God, rather than a Being called or entitled god.
Oh, shit, how could I have been so flat minded? I should've realized that the Judeo-Christian God is the ONLY God that supports the idea of a purposeful universe. Afterall, it's not like the Hindu god or the Muslim god or any others don't operate in almost exactly the same way. In fact, Muslim's believe even more so then Christians, that their Creator built a perfect and orderly universe.

Quote:
I have a friend that saw god while tripping on mushrooms. When I tell this to believers, they say it doesn't count. And I agree. You know why?
Because you, and the rest of society, see hallucinogenic drugs as nothing more than a way to get fucked up. If I had a friend that had a crazy mystical experience while on shrooms, I wouldn't immediately discard it as "just a hallucination". Who am I to say that he/she was simply seeing things. Maybe it was real.

It's kinda like Yann Martel's book, Life of Pi. When young Pi returns from his crazy adventure at sea no one believes him. They chalk up his story as nothing more than his mind playing tricks on him from the dehydration. The reader however, who has been with Pi all along, knows that the adventure really happened. The book emphasizes the power of story telling, and that no matter how insane they sound, some things really do happen.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
07-25-2009

Quote:
It's kinda like Yann Martel's book, Life of Pi. When young Pi returns from his crazy adventure at sea no one believes him. They chalk up his story as nothing more than his mind playing tricks on him from the dehydration. The reader however, who has been with Pi all along, knows that the adventure really happened. The book emphasizes the power of story telling, and that no matter how insane they sound, some things really do happen.
You're kind of missing the point of that literary device.
Spoiler!
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
07-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
You're kind of missing the point of that literary device.
Yeah I didn't word that perfectly, but the book still applies. Martel was stressing the power of faith and although some things may be symbolic or metaphorical, it doesn't really matter. To the reader or listener, the story is just as important as the truth.

-- i.e. If someone saw "God" on a shroom trip, maybe they saw of a symbol of him in a physical object. Like in a giant tree, and to them it transformed into a God like presence that was overpoweringly real and vivid. In essence, the person on shrooms is only looking at tree, but maybe he is also really looking at God?
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
07-25-2009

Unreliable narrator. You're reading it wrong.
Spoiler!
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
07-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
Unreliable narrator. You're reading it wrong.
Maybe I am wrong; and I do see where the ending could show the unreliability of a narrator in a first-person experience, but can't literature be interpreted different ways? I saw the book as more of addressing the element and power of metaphor. Maybe there weren't all those animals in the boat, and maybe there wasn't really a man-eating island, but perhaps to understand Pi's story best and with the correct emotion it had to be told that way. The same could apply to religious stories and experiences... Maybe to best understand the power and awe of the universe we must study the symbols and fables of old religions.

Last edited by ReVeLaTioN; 07-25-2009 at 10:20 AM.