Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
You obviously don't study philosophy lol.
I love elitists on halo forums. lol. But I actually have studied my share of thought provoking essays and texts. And I think most philosophers would agree that contributing constructive feedback to a discussion is more important then a 2% correction.
A man's errors are his portals of discovery. -- James Joyce
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
07-15-2009

Most philosophers would agree that Descartes had backed himself into a corner with his dualism and used the pineal gland as a copout. Most philosophers would agree that implicit arguments from authority are bunk.

Do you think that dreams are doors to another universe too?
Spoiler!
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeLaTioN View Post
I love elitists on halo forums. lol. But I actually have studied my share of thought provoking essays and texts. And I think most philosophers would agree that contributing constructive feedback to a discussion is more important then a 2% correction.
Elitist? Hell yeah. But that had nothing to do with me knowing you don't study philosophy (not "thought provoking essays and texts") when you say there's a difference between studying philosophy and applying philosophy in your pattern of thought. Those who are not philosophically inclined do not study philosophy, so thinking philosophically and studying philosophy are inseparable. Maybe if you had offered something philosophical instead of "i read this book and found it interesting," I would have something philosophical to offer in return. But "do you think hallucinations are meaningless" or "do you think this drug that occurs naturally in your brain that activates while you dream is evidence of an afterlife" doesn't cut it.
Busy, busy, busy
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
Thinking the chemical your body makes when you dream is some doorway to alternate universes is a lot different from philosophy.
Did I say that it was philosohy? No, I was simply asking what your thoughts were on using a drug (DMT) to possibly glimpse into the afterlife.

And DMT isn't created when you dream.. that's melatonin (Both come from the pineal).
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Elitist? Hell yeah. But that had nothing to do with me knowing you don't study philosophy (not "thought provoking essays and texts") when you say there's a difference between studying philosophy and applying philosophy in your pattern of thought. Those who are not philosophically inclined do not study philosophy, so thinking philosophically and studying philosophy are inseparable. Maybe if you had offered something philosophical instead of "i read this book and found it interesting," I would have something philosophical to offer in return. But "do you think hallucinations are meaningless" or "do you think this drug that occurs naturally in your brain that activates while you dream is evidence of an afterlife" doesn't cut it.
You don't consider "do you think hallucinations are with or without meaning" to be a fair question to pose in a forum discussion about religion and spirituality? Ok then. I'm sorry my questions aren't up to your standards.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
07-15-2009

OR PERHAPS instead of there actually being an afterlife, all accounts for seeing one during near death experiences and during death in general are actually the person tripping balls when DMT (among several other chemicals) begin spilling out of your brain. There is no afterlife, just DMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeLaTioN View Post
You don't consider "do you think hallucinations are with or without meaning" to be a fair question to pose in a forum discussion about religion and spirituality? Ok then. I'm sorry my questions aren't up to your standards.
No. I don't. Apology accepted.
Busy, busy, busy
AshTre
Twitch.tv/ReifiedAsh
Subtract from AshTre's ReputationAdd to AshTre's Reputation AshTre is a novice
Send a message via AIM to AshTre
07-15-2009

To me it just sounds like some chemical in the brain to ease or aid the process of coming in or out of existence.

"Our thoughts, values, every ‘yes,’ ‘no,’ ‘if’ and ‘but’ grow from us with the same inevitability as fruits borne on the tree — all related and each with an affinity to each"

"
Digressions, objections, delight in mockery, carefree mistrust are signs of health; everything unconditional belongs in pathology."
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
07-15-2009

I wanna be injected with DMT.

And as for the topic itself, people were injected with a chemical that caused intense hallucinations and weird things happened to them. So?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
07-15-2009

I have a sneaking suspicion OP has never tried any form of hallucinogen.
Busy, busy, busy
Cynic
Bored Stiff
Subtract from Cynic's ReputationAdd to Cynic's Reputation Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000
07-15-2009

This is probably how Ichigo gains access to Soul Society.