Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
05-31-2009

I'm really having a tough time seeing what's so great about Jesus that he handed himself over for crucifixion.

So, he knew all along that one of his disciples would betray him, he'll be put to death, he'll rise again, and live eternally in Heaven with God the Father.

sh.t, if I knew that would happen to me and I would be granted eternal life in Pleasantville after a sh.tty mortal existence, sign me up for Roman execution.

As far as Christianity goes, I would have to say any of Paul, Stephen, or, like Davo mentioned, Thomas More. I watched a film on him and he was a baller.

Last edited by muRda; 05-31-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Fc dofep
Level 28
Subtract from Fc dofep's ReputationAdd to Fc dofep's Reputation Fc dofep is a novice
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by General AI View Post
Forget the miracles, this guy's entire life is unoriginal. I already told you that, it's one thing to have copied the whole "curing the sick", it's entirely another to have the whole concept of 12 disciples, crucifixion and dying for your sins be unoriginal. It's been done several times before and after jesus' death.
You are missing the entire point. You obviously have strong doubts about Jesus' life story or even existence. But name another man who has such a strong impact on the world through his death. Name one who is comparable.

Originality is not what I'm arguing. Yet you continue to bring it up. None of the other men whose stories were presumably copied never had the same impact that Jesus' story has had. Whether you believe he lived or not doesn't change the fact he is the greatest martyr. Even if you don't believe he existed, his story alone would be the greatest story of martyrdom.

mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fc dofep View Post
You are missing the entire point. You obviously have strong doubts about Jesus' life story or even existence. But name another man who has such a strong impact on the world through his death. Name one who is comparable.

Originality is not what I'm arguing. Yet you continue to bring it up. None of the other men whose stories were presumably copied never had the same impact that Jesus' story has had. Whether you believe he lived or not doesn't change the fact he is the greatest martyr. Even if you don't believe he existed, his story alone would be the greatest story of martyrdom.
if he didnt exist then he wasnt a martyr, because a fictional character cant be a martyr because a fictional character never was alive

you only think that his life has had a huge impact on the world due to the nonsense you have been indoctrinated with your entire life

christianity has "justified" more injustices than any other institution in the history of the world, take the abortion doctor who was killed in a church as a contemporary example

besides isnt it a little convenient that jesus ascended into heaven leaving behind no physical remains?
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3

Last edited by mike; 05-31-2009 at 04:05 PM.
sl1ck
Banned
Subtract from sl1ck's ReputationAdd to sl1ck's Reputation sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
I'm really having a tough time seeing what's so great about Jesus that he handed himself over for crucifixion.

So, he knew all along that one of his disciples would betray him, he'll be put to death, he'll rise again, and live eternally in Heaven with God the Father.

sh.t, if I knew that would happen to me and I would be granted eternal life in Pleasantville after a sh.tty mortal existence, sign me up for Roman execution.

As far as Christianity goes, I would have to say any of Paul, Stephen, or, like Davo mentioned, Thomas More. I watched a film on him and he was a baller.
Sir Thomas More certainly deserves to be named in a thread like this. A martyr and a man I have the utmost admiration for. When I went to London I made sure to go to the Tower of London specifically because of him.
Fc dofep
Level 28
Subtract from Fc dofep's ReputationAdd to Fc dofep's Reputation Fc dofep is a novice
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mike View Post
if he didnt exist then he wasnt a martyr, because a fictional character cant be a martyr because a fictional character never was alive

you only think that his life has had a huge impact on the world due to the nonsense you have been indoctrinated with your entire life

christianity has "justified" more injustices than any other institution in the history of the world, take the abortion doctor who was killed in a church as a contemporary example

besides isnt it a little convenient that jesus ascended into heaven leaving behind no physical remains?
You shouldn't assume that I go to church and was raised in a church. Like you just did.

One, I don't go to church. My parents never took me to church when I was little. My parents never read me the Bible. I have yet to read the entire Bible on my own although I have read a good bit of it. I have gone to several churches once I was able to drive, but living in the conservative south it is hard to form a good opinion on church and I have developed my own beliefs as to what is and what isn't.

I have merely made my statement on Jesus from a historical standpoint.

Christianity didn't justify the abortion doctor's murder. The men of that particular church interpreted the Bible in that manner. In that way, they were wrong, severely wrong. I won't argue that men have used Christianity for greed and other injustices, but in response, Osama bin Ladan leads his follower through the Muslim religion.

If you read the Qur' an, which preaches peace for most, you could possibly interpreted it as Osama has. To which he killed thousands of people by using this message to convince men to fly planes into buildings. Look, Christianity has it's flaws as do all religions. But Christianity, like other religions, preaches peace and forgiveness. Although, at times it may seem hypocritical and is, the main point is clear. All religions will be flawed as men are the ones who have created and believe in them. The same applies to government.

Believe what you will, I'm not here to force my own personal beliefs onto you. Nor am I trying. If you wanted to know what I would consider my religion, I would have to answer Deism.

I happen to know more about Hinduism that most other religions actually. If you want to discuss that as well, we could. I'm sure you thought I was some ignorant Chrisian fool who believes everything his pastor tells him. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Last edited by Fc dofep; 05-31-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Fc dofep
Level 28
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl1cK_ View Post
Sir Thomas More certainly deserves to be named in a thread like this. A martyr and a man I have the utmost admiration for. When I went to London I made sure to go to the Tower of London specifically because of him.
Sorry for the double post.

I certainly agree and did the same when I went to London.

On a side note, did you see Henry VIII's .... piece... LOLS

General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
06-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fc dofep View Post

FICTIONAL. You're completely missing the point here. When I say his life isn't original, I'm not arguing the impact of the actual actions, I'm arguing that since Jesus probably never existed, he could not be a martyr or a "man who has such a strong impact on the world".

That's like me saying that Harry Potter is a great hero because destroyed Voldemort. Jesus is a character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
06-01-2009

Quote:

That's like me saying that Harry Potter is a great hero because destroyed Voldemort. Jesus is a character.

*gasp* NEVER speak his name....
She only comes to me in my dreams
So sleep becomes routine
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

She only comes to me in my dreams

So sleep becomes addicting
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

o AreS
Level 31
Subtract from o AreS's ReputationAdd to o AreS's Reputation o AreS is stuck in campaign mode
Send a message via AIM to o AreS
06-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy412 View Post
*gasp* NEVER speak his name....
omg i cant believe he said it
R.I.P Henshi we all at H3F will remember u

Ill be up up and away, up up and away. cuz in the end theyll judge me ne way...so watever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZN_CHICK3N View Post
o AreS is teh sexiest guy on H3F. No Doubt.
Muffin Mouth
<3
Subtract from Muffin Mouth's ReputationAdd to Muffin Mouth's Reputation Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame
06-01-2009

Quote:
FICTIONAL. You're completely missing the point here. When I say his life isn't original, I'm not arguing the impact of the actual actions, I'm arguing that since Jesus probably never existed, he could not be a martyr or a "man who has such a strong impact on the world".

My friends dad argues that, yes, Jesus was real, just he was not half the man people think he was.

I think that's the dudes point.