Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Fc dofep
Level 28
Subtract from Fc dofep's ReputationAdd to Fc dofep's Reputation Fc dofep is a novice
05-31-2009
Default Greatest Martyr of all time?

Who is the greatest Martyr of all time?

That answer is really easy actually. It is Jesus Christ. The man, whether you believe in his miracles or not, did exist and did die for the people and for a cause.

Jesus, (this is according to historians) had a chance to escape. He could have run and lived but chose to die on the cross. He chose to die for the people and to give them faith. No person can argue against Jesus' life and death.

Here we are today with a biography of a man that lived over 2000 years ago. Billions of people read from it everyday. They use it for moral lessons and for guidance on how to make the right decision. How many global leaders looked to the Bible for guidance? Countless.

One could argue, even though man is flawed, if everyone strived to be like Jesus, then the world would be a significantly better place to live. His teachings are simple and true.

Just a question that came to mind. Which I definitely ended up answering myself, lol.

I guess I should ask who is the greatest American martyr too?

I would say Martin Luther King Jr. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the church's name, but in England I want to say there is a church with a list of all the great martyrs and Martin Luther King Jr. is the only American engraved on the stone...

General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
05-31-2009

You do realize that there are several other "Prophets" who had an identical story to Jesus Christ (born from a Virgin mother, had 12 disciples, went around doing miracles, were crucified, died, and resurrected 3 days later)? Really, Jesus' life story is not original, and we've been over this a lot in the forum.

Use the search button (try looking for "Horus").
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.

Last edited by General AI; 05-31-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Fc dofep
Level 28
Subtract from Fc dofep's ReputationAdd to Fc dofep's Reputation Fc dofep is a novice
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by General AI View Post
You do realize that there are several other "Prophets" who had an identical story to Jesus Christ (born from a Virgin mother, had 12 disciples, went around doing miracles, were crucified, died, and resurrected 3 days later)? Really, Jesus' life story is not original, and we've been over this a lot in the forum.

Use the search button (try looking for "Horus").
Read what I am saying. I completely understand that. And I am not arguing the miracle part of Jesus... I am arguing him as the greatest martyr of all time. I'm guessing you disagree based on what you said but your reasons don't apply. No other religion has played such a major role in the world and Jesus is the start of it all. Simple.

mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fc dofep View Post
Read what I am saying. I completely understand that. And I am not arguing the miracle part of Jesus... I am arguing him as the greatest martyr of all time. I'm guessing you disagree based on what you said but your reasons don't apply. No other religion has played such a major role in the world and Jesus is the start of it all. Simple.
lol did you even read his post?

more than likely jesus never existed
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
05-31-2009

Quote:
In that case you're just stating that a likely fictitious character has become a massive symbol for billions of people around the world.

So?
Quote:
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
Fc dofep
Level 28
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mike View Post
lol did you even read his post?

more than likely jesus never existed
Yes I read his whole post. There is much more evidence and many more scholars that would argue otherwise. This doesn't mean they believe in his miracles, but they believe and know he existed and died on the cross. Although the church, they would argue, has misinterpreted the cross. It should represent more of the capital t. T.

Fc dofep
Level 28
05-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by General AI View Post
In that case you're just stating that a likely fictitious character has become a massive symbol for billions of people around the world.

So?
So you say "likely fictitious". The stories about what he did very well may be fictitious, but he is not. I have already pointed that out.

mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
05-31-2009

Quote:
There is much more evidence and many more scholars that would argue otherwise.
what physical evidence?

the similarities between him and other deities automatically places him into myth, forget the miracles

the virgin birth, resurrection, 12 disciples are characteristics other deities before him all shared
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3

Last edited by mike; 05-31-2009 at 10:50 AM.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
05-31-2009

I was gonna say Thomas More.
Spoiler!
General AI
Eats Small Children
05-31-2009

Quote:
So you say "likely fictitious". The stories about what he did very well may be fictitious, but he is not. I have already pointed that out.
Forget the miracles, this guy's entire life is unoriginal. I already told you that, it's one thing to have copied the whole "curing the sick", it's entirely another to have the whole concept of 12 disciples, crucifixion and dying for your sins be unoriginal. It's been done several times before and after jesus' death.
Quote:

Last edited by General AI; 05-31-2009 at 12:51 PM.