Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software

Display Modes Thread Tools
tyleragent
Level 28
Subtract from tyleragent's ReputationAdd to tyleragent's Reputation tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
08-16-2014
Default Hard drive problems?

I have been experiencing some problems with my computer that have led me to conclude that they are due to my hard drive. I have 4 hard drives total, 2 TB (x2) Hitatchi drives, an SSD, and another older and slow hard drive that I do not use as much (I have Linux installed on it). The drive that I think is causing the problems is the main drive (2 TB Hitachi) where my OS is installed. These problems include:
- slow windows (7) operational speeds when starting up, it eventually gets to normal speed after about 20 minutes
- a couple times I have booted windows and it is unable to find it, but after a couple more tries it finds it. this happened only twice a couple of months ago
- a BSOD which an error relating to not being able to communicate with the hard drive, this has only happened once in last 5 months
- the drive shows full usage (read/write) even an hour after booting up, while the others do not
- sometimes it makes loud churning noises, only happens every month or so recently
- it is 3 years old
- i ran a chkdsk on it and it came up with a few bad sectors, but of course that happens to all HDDs as time goes on

All these symptoms point to it failing, and soon. I have a tons of highly valuable data on it for school, and I would hate to see it die on me in the middle of a semester, especially since it has my OS on it and 90% of the work I do involves computers.

I was just wondering if you guys would have any suggestions on these things:
- if it is failing and if there was a reliable software I can install to give me more of a clue
- a new replacement hard drive that is 2 TB and very very reliable. I really need this thing to last
- any good migration software to copy my failing HDD, such as the OS and all of its files, onto my new HDD
Gage
VIP just not in the group
Subtract from Gage's ReputationAdd to Gage's Reputation Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000
08-17-2014

The setup that most people use is a 120(+)GB SSD for their OS and programs that need the little extra speed boost, with the rest of your data stored on a 2TB(+/-) HDD.

What I would suggest for you is to take all of the drives out of your computer except for the one that your OS is on. Boot it and see how it reacts. Then add one more HDD at a time, booting it up after each addition until you find which HDD is causing the problem.
tyleragent
Level 28
Subtract from tyleragent's ReputationAdd to tyleragent's Reputation tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom tyleragent wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
08-17-2014

I would do that but I do not feel like reorganizing everything. I have a ton of apps and plugins and files that I would have to put on or off of an SSD in relation to the 2TB HDD and it would be a pain. I know idealy it would be key, but maybe for another system...

Yes I could do that, but I am mostly only experiencing problems (shutdowns) about once a week to once every couple of weeks it would take quite some time. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do it.

Also, does anyone know if a NAS hard drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145912) work with windows? They are incredibly reliably reliable but they are not really used for desktop machines from what I hear. I would install my OS on it.