Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
JustMarioBros's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [.::H2F SELECT::.]
Posts: 8,626
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
#51
04-05-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEdiTioN View Post
oh hey JustMarioBros, I think i saw you say your dad was really religious(I do apologize if i'm mistaken) but i was just gonna ask if he knew you were an atheist and how he's taking it?
Well he;s not super religious in the sense that he is very active in church (doesn't have the time) or that he constantly reads the bible, etc. But he does feel very strong about his beliefs.

He does know I'm atheist, I actually told my parents about 2 years ago, if I remember correctly. They didn't really take me serious until recently. I've had a few convo's with my dad about it. He feels like Catholicism is the most accepting, peaceful, and loving religion that can coexist among other religious groups without wanting to kill them. I always stress to him how the bible is filled with contradictions, a vengeful/evil/jealous/capricious god who uses fear mongering to force you to believe. I then bring up the fact that the catholic church is the most corrupt and greedy organization in the world. All of this can be found, all they have to do is look.

From what I can see, he is disappointed that I turned out a non-believer. He says he still wants to take me to his home town in Portugal to visit some holy place. He said when he was a young boy he went there and felt something, and that something he claims to be god or some supernatural being. He wants me to experience that I guess to help convert me or something. I just don't understand why people are so blind to see that I'm happy without god. Isn't that what we want for our loved ones? To live a happy, healthy life?

The one question I always get is "well, what if you're wrong?". lol Ok, then what if they're wrong? It's like arguing about the existence of fairies. What if your belief that fairies don't exist, is actually wrong? We both wouldn't accept that as a legitimate question because we both don't believe in fairies so why argue its existence? Asking me what would I do if I die and now faced eternal damnation is fucking retarded because I don't believe that bullshit.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
iEdiTioN
Level 25
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 841
Subtract from iEdiTioN's ReputationAdd to iEdiTioN's Reputation iEdiTioN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to iEdiTioN
#52
04-05-2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
Well he;s not super religious in the sense that he is very active in church (doesn't have the time) or that he constantly reads the bible, etc. But he does feel very strong about his beliefs.
Ahh i see

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
He does know I'm atheist, I actually told my parents about 2 years ago, if I remember correctly. They didn't really take me serious until recently. I've had a few convo's with my dad about it. He feels like Catholicism is the most accepting, peaceful, and loving religion that can coexist among other religious groups without wanting to kill them. I always stress to him how the bible is filled with contradictions, a vengeful/evil/jealous/capricious god who uses fear mongering to force you to believe. I then bring up the fact that the catholic church is the most corrupt and greedy organization in the world. All of this can be found, all they have to do is look.
That's basically all you can do, present them with evidence and if they reject it then so be it. It may be annoying but like people say "you cannot reason with the unreasonable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
From what I can see, he is disappointed that I turned out a non-believer. He says he still wants to take me to his home town in Portugal to visit some holy place. He said when he was a young boy he went there and felt something, and that something he claims to be god or some supernatural being. He wants me to experience that I guess to help convert me or something. I just don't understand why people are so blind to see that I'm happy without god. Isn't that what we want for our loved ones? To live a happy, healthy life?
Seriously, I hate the "if you don't believe in god there is no point and living" and "your life must be bitter"
It's like wtf, I live for making people around me happy and enriching the lives of others anyway I can. I live for making a better tomorrow. I live for trying to understanding this beautiful world and the vast universe. I don't waste my time praying, I 'waste' my time doing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
The one question I always get is "well, what if you're wrong?". lol Ok, then what if they're wrong? It's like arguing about the existence of fairies. What if your belief that fairies don't exist, is actually wrong? We both wouldn't accept that as a legitimate question because we both don't believe in fairies so why argue its existence? Asking me what would I do if I die and now faced eternal damnation is fucking retarded because I don't believe that bullshit.
amazing response to that


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMarioBros View Post
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
one of my favorite quotes from him. It's so beautiful.


But I'm honestly lucky(blessed even:P) that my family is mostly agnostic and very, very open minded. Even the kinda religious ones never force it onto me and always listen to both sides(except for my grandma on my dad's side:P).
When I told my grandma(on my mom's side) I was an atheist she was just like "so?, nothing wrong with that"

I do wish you the best though man, hope your relationship with your dad does not get messed up just because you're an atheist.

Last edited by iEdiTioN; 04-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.
JustMarioBros
i r baby jesus
JustMarioBros's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [.::H2F SELECT::.]
Posts: 8,626
Subtract from JustMarioBros's ReputationAdd to JustMarioBros's Reputation JustMarioBros is a novice
#53
06-18-2012
Default

Here's a recent convo I had with a local Pastor (Tito) who is also my friend's brother in law. I haven't gotten a response back from him since friday, but I am patiently waiting.

Spoiler!
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off