Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-15-2009
Default The Spirit Gland

I recently picked up a book titled, "DMT: The Spirit Gland" and I found it quite interesting. It was written by a medical doctor and researcher at the University of New Mexico and his explorations with the drug DMT.

DMT is found naturally in our brain, residing in the small but powerful pineal gland. Ancient philosophers have theorized that the gland is the "seat of the soul" -- or the metaphysical point at which body and conscious connect. At birth, death, and near-death experiences the pineal gland opens its defenses and floods DMT into our bloodstream. It is often associated with the "life flashing before my eyes" experience and causes intense hallucinations.

In the study, the doctor administered varying amounts of synthesized DMT to patient volunteers and got some pretty astonishing results. Several of the participants encountered spirits and deities and even what some referred to as "DMT elves". The spirits were often trying to communicate to the patients and seemed to be "preparing" them. Most of the subjects felt that their DMT experience was beyond there body; not just inside their head, but in a third party location, like in outer space somewhere. DMT appeared to be a vehicle of some sort to a different world.

Do you guys think these hallucinations inspired by this DMT are simply that, meaningless hallucinations; or do you think there is something more? -- that maybe this DMT production in the pineal gland offers some proof of a sort of afterlife.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
07-15-2009

I'd hardly consider Descartes "ancient."
Spoiler!
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
07-15-2009

Probably because he isn't. In fact, some consider him a rather...MODERN philosopher!
Busy, busy, busy
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-15-2009

i didn't realize that the comment about descartes was the main point of the thread.

thanks, so,sdn zdeoei for adding some input.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeLaTioN View Post
i didn't realize that the comment about descartes was the main point of the thread.

thanks, so,sdn zdeoei for adding some input.
must be the DMT
Busy, busy, busy
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
must be the DMT
must be the immaturity of flat minded people
NG
poo-tee-weet?
07-15-2009

Quote:
must be the immaturity of flat minded people
Yeah, the only two people on this board who study philosophy are the flat minded ones.
Busy, busy, busy
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
07-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Yeah, the only two people on this board who study philosophy are the flat minded ones.
"Studying philosophy" is a lot different then applying it to the way you think.
A man's errors are his portals of discovery. -- James Joyce
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
07-15-2009

Most philosophers would agree that Descartes had backed himself into a corner with his dualism and used the pineal gland as a copout. Most philosophers would agree that implicit arguments from authority are bunk.

Do you think that dreams are doors to another universe too?
Spoiler!
NG
poo-tee-weet?
07-15-2009

OR PERHAPS instead of there actually being an afterlife, all accounts for seeing one during near death experiences and during death in general are actually the person tripping balls when DMT (among several other chemicals) begin spilling out of your brain. There is no afterlife, just DMT.

Quote:
You don't consider "do you think hallucinations are with or without meaning" to be a fair question to pose in a forum discussion about religion and spirituality? Ok then. I'm sorry my questions aren't up to your standards.
No. I don't. Apology accepted.
Busy, busy, busy