Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming

Display Modes Thread Tools
Spence
THF VIP Member
Subtract from Spence's ReputationAdd to Spence's Reputation Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Spence
06-14-2014

With everything I've watched it seems they are really focusing on giving you a giant world to explore with your friends and not so much trying to get on the mainstage.
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
Subtract from QuiGz's ReputationAdd to QuiGz's Reputation QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to QuiGz Send a message via Skype™ to QuiGz
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siarnaq View Post
.. But a discussiong isn't about convincing the other party that their opinion is wrong and that they should accept their new lord and saviour.
Just kidding, I'm not claiming that you said anything of the kind, but a discussion I'm trying to conduct is to see what the appeal of others is to the game, seeing if people believe this will live up to what it's been promising and the lifespan of the game. Of course, I am bringing up my personal view and opinion because a discussion kind of needs two sides and from what I've seen thus far, I seem to be one of very few in this thread that isn't as excited and more concerned about the development and the state of the game.

Again, it's a discussion. And as I said earlier, it's hard to talk a game up to the hype it has when it's hard to see why this game is different from the other IP's we've had and will have that has the same core concepts. But I'm not shooting it down, I just have a hard time seeing 10 years worth of gameplay and it's more worrying that they haven't shown anything more than what we've been shown already.
Bringing up personal views and concerns is fine. But some of what you're saying is just coming off as "THIS GAME LOOKS RETARDED". Of course we're concerned about the development of the game, I guess we just think they're on a better track than you do. There's nothing wrong with that, I'll try and be less of a pushy twat

Well what I think this game is doing right is that it's incorporating a lot of competitive elements in the base of the game, instead of filling it with a ton of random shit and forcing customs to be the home of competitive.

Something I was very skeptical about but turned out to be pretty good is how the weapons work. In the past when people start on different playing fields it can be really shitty and uneven, but they allow you to buy guns that are on your level so you're never really at a disadvantage. It's also a bit of a motivation to play the story mode to get slightly better weapons. But even if you don't it generally only means 10points of base damage or so. Though in my case i got this redic shotgun from the story, so I'm fucking faces on the reg.

Having no weapons on the map was executed flawlessly imo, because unlike H4 they actually have enemies drop little ammo boxes and they place ammo crates around the map at random times so if you run out you aren't fucked.

If more maps are likei the grassy one (name is escaping me atm) then we should be good. But I'm going to assume like most games there will be the core group of solid competitive feeling maps, and the group of garbage vehicle heavy BTB-ish maps.

As for the 10 year thing, I obviously assume they're going to be making a few games over that span. So hopefully they won't try and do too much between the games and fuck everything up, and instead only fix the major things and improve ONLY what needs to be improved.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
Subtract from Siarnaq's ReputationAdd to Siarnaq's Reputation Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGz View Post
(1)Bringing up personal views and concerns is fine. But some of what you're saying is just coming off as "THIS GAME LOOKS RETARDED". Of course we're concerned about the development of the game, I guess we just think they're on a better track than you do. There's nothing wrong with that, I'll try and be less of a pushy twat

(2)Well what I think this game is doing right is that it's incorporating a lot of competitive elements in the base of the game, instead of filling it with a ton of random shit and forcing customs to be the home of competitive.

(3)Something I was very skeptical about but turned out to be pretty good is how the weapons work. In the past when people start on different playing fields it can be really shitty and uneven, but they allow you to buy guns that are on your level so you're never really at a disadvantage. It's also a bit of a motivation to play the story mode to get slightly better weapons. But even if you don't it generally only means 10points of base damage or so. Though in my case i got this redic shotgun from the story, so I'm fucking faces on the reg.

(4)Having no weapons on the map was executed flawlessly imo, because unlike H4 they actually have enemies drop little ammo boxes and they place ammo crates around the map at random times so if you run out you aren't fucked.

(5)If more maps are likei the grassy one (name is escaping me atm) then we should be good. But I'm going to assume like most games there will be the core group of solid competitive feeling maps, and the group of garbage vehicle heavy BTB-ish maps.

(6)As for the 10 year thing, I obviously assume they're going to be making a few games over that span. So hopefully they won't try and do too much between the games and fuck everything up, and instead only fix the major things and improve ONLY what needs to be improved.
1. Please point out where I specifically said that the game looks retarded, and that it isn't just your view, which seems to be that you're taking it personally which I never intended for it to be.

2. Well, customs seem to be the future of the game if you want competitive play, especially if they include a lot of options, since the game has an absurd kill speed in some close quarter engagements. As I said, the base game seems to have a solid foundation but it's just everything tacked on that would just be insanely hard to balance in any form when it comes to competitive play, and it might just end up being "who can frag the hardest" instead of a game needing a bit of teamwork atleast.

3. It's multiplayer, why not just unlock the weapons automatically for your level for free?
Also, this is concerning if they're going to aim mainly at PvE, since that might bring up the age old issue as in WoW where extremely powerful PvE only available items were just wrecking everyone.

4. Well of course, since they seem to have opened up every sort of weapon for anyone to use at any time, weapon spawns were redundant.

5. I wouldn't really say that it's the best designed map for competitive play from what I've seen, but it is better than the larger snow map.

6. I think you're giving a bit too much credit to Bungie. Blizzard who's been doing this for a lot longer is still fucking up, simply because if you attract a large enough playerbase, everything you do will be a matter of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". I honestly wouldn't have my hopes up for them being able to handle that situation flawlessly, and reviewers and the like WILL criticize them for not switching it up more between games, which will end up giving them worse publicity and that will most likely upset both Activision and Bungie.

Also, the fact that the weapons are purely hitscan but still have a visual bullet trajectory/tracing is confusing the fuck out of me. Cannot understand the reasoning why they would include that as it would just confuse novice players.
Alen
Level 28
Subtract from Alen's ReputationAdd to Alen's Reputation Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000
06-14-2014

I just canceled my pre-order.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
Subtract from Siarnaq's ReputationAdd to Siarnaq's Reputation Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen View Post
I just canceled my pre-order.
May I ask that you elaborate a bit on why?

Like, what made you decide to cancel the preorder, and what made you preorder in the first place?
Al
EXPECTO PATRONUM
Subtract from Al's ReputationAdd to Al's Reputation Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Al
06-14-2014

Does anyone really think the beta will be that much more than the "Alpha"?

I'm willing to bet not.

Seems like too much work to release an "Alpha" a month before the beta. Probably a higher level cap if anything.

Thinking about preordering just to get into the beta. Can always cancel later.

Wes
Subtract from Wes's ReputationAdd to Wes's Reputation Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post

I'm willing to bet not.

Seems like too much work to release an "Alpha" a month before the beta. Probably a higher level cap if anything.

nah. i wouldn't imagine that much of a difference. maybe the level cap raised to like 12-20 or something like that, as well as an extra map/area or two added to the PVP/PVE.
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
Subtract from QuiGz's ReputationAdd to QuiGz's Reputation QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000
06-14-2014

Quote:

I'm willing to bet not.

Wes and I were talking about this. I think they're going to add maybe another section in the story, and 1 more multiplayer map with another gametype or two.
Al
EXPECTO PATRONUM
Subtract from Al's ReputationAdd to Al's Reputation Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Al
06-14-2014

That's what I think. Can't be radically more.

Also, thanks for sending me friend requests, cocksuckers.

I tried playing the second story area thing again this morning. Got a server disconnect error again. Same thing happened last night :/

Last edited by Al; 06-14-2014 at 03:44 PM.
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
06-14-2014

Quote:
That's what I think. Can't be radically more.

Also, thanks for sending me friend requests, cocksuckers.

I tried playing the second story area thing again this morning. Got a server disconnect error again. Same thing happened last night :/
We had a bit of an issue with that last night, but it wasn't too bad. I might play again in like an hour or something if you're playing, I don't have a PS4 mic, though.