Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010
View Poll Results: Which videos deserve to advance?
"Dutchy Montage 2" - Edited by ExuS 141 59.24%
"Roadblock's Final Montage" - Edited by Backfire 96 40.34%
"Contractus" - Edited by Nv1ncible 97 40.76%
"Frenetic Array" - Edited by Mattisson 84 35.29%
"Black Box" - Edited by s0r3 82 34.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphic View Post
Fair enough, but they usually come from some source of light correct? Not just randomly thrown all over the screen?

Trust me I do this everyday.
Yeah I mean, you're never going to see a flare from no light source. It always has to make sense, it just doesn't have to look "realistic" in the sense of how the real world looks. It should look like it fits, though.

A lot of people don't notice this, but the low key lighting in most films is very unrealistic if you actually pay attention to it. It's done on purpose to dramatize it, and it also looks great on film since film is light based.
Standards
Level 47
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Standards Send a message via Skype™ to Standards
08-27-2010

Well thats the thing, not many videos are unique, and the fucking great unique videos are long voted off of this competition.

Out of the videos that are left, I don't find any of them enjoyable, with the exception of Black Box. Some peopel think I'm way too over-critical about Halo 3 vids, but I get tired of seeing the same stupid stuff (Low-Level, social gameplay, the same spots, the same high multis, the same generic music, the same generic editing but some go above and beyond with genericness)
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTw View Post
Don't you think it's a little f..ked up that guy's like me, Mattison, Sor3, Insane, Zanster, Phurion, Vidol, Wanny, TM22 etc. put all this effort into our videos just to get beat by a video like Roadblock's? And to add insult to injury, they walk away with money, and we walk away with nothing...

Just sayin' man, the comp was ran very well, but the community still has a long ways to go if they're voting vids like Roadblock's into the top 3. This isn't an editing competition, but it's definitely not a "lets have fun and vote for whatever vid we like best" competition. Look at TMV's best damn movie comp, that's what this comp should be striving to be...not some amatuer joke. Call me a douche, whatever, but I feel for Mattison for not making the top 3 and losing to Roadblock's video. It's a f..king disgrace, and this community should be ashamed. This comp is supposed to encourage people to try to raise the standards, not lower them by making vid's like Roadblock's...no offense to Roadblock obviously, this is not a personal attack against him, he's a nice ass guy, but I'm sure even he's surprised he made it this far...

Makes me wonder, maybe all us editors who try to make something unique, entertaining, and fun but get beat by vids like Roadblock's should just start making vid's like that...see what kind of impact that'll have on the community.
Not really, because Roadblock had amazing footage, and you're kinda arguing on subjectivity here. There's nothing wrong with an old school styled video with translucent editing if the footage is amazing enough to carry it.

This competition isn't about which video is most deserving, this competition is about which video is most popular by the community in terms of entertainment. And there is no "correct" way to entertain; you just need to reach it, and how it is received comes down to personal preference. They're all great videos, so now it comes to the personal preference of the community as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, Frenetic Array is my favorite video in the competition... but it's not like I can't level with the people who didn't like it and voted for Roadblock instead. There was real impressive sh.t in all the entries that made the top 10, let alone top 5. Roadblock is no exception.

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 08-27-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
08-27-2010

^^^^^
best post in the thread.

@ptw, I get what your saying but if they really spend that much time to win money, they mine as well just free lance editing real life footage.. could make way more money
::SK MEDIA::
Level 28
Subtract from ::SK MEDIA::'s ReputationAdd to ::SK MEDIA::'s Reputation ::SK MEDIA:: is a novice
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXpiReD v2 View Post
^^^^^
best post in the thread.

@ptw, I get what your saying but if they really spend that much time to win money, they mine as well just free lance editing real life footage.. could make way more money
Freelancing definitely gives you more money, however your constantly working under the pressure of a deadline and the requirements. You lose your creative freedom in most cases too. With halo, editors keep that freedom (in most cases). Plus most of editors don't edit to win money, they edit to make something that is unique and remembered.
StObrist
Level 28
Subtract from StObrist's ReputationAdd to StObrist's Reputation StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin'
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
He did it on FB Walshy's channel in like a week.
I hit 100,000 in less than a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTw View Post
Don't you think it's a little f..ked up that guy's like me, Mattison, Sor3, Insane, Zanster, Phurion, Vidol, Wanny, TM22 etc. put all this effort into our videos just to get beat by a video like Roadblock's? And to add insult to injury, they walk away with money, and we walk away with nothing...

Just sayin' man, the comp was ran very well, but the community still has a long ways to go if they're voting vids like Roadblock's into the top 3. This isn't an editing competition, but it's definitely not a "lets have fun and vote for whatever vid we like best" competition. Look at TMV's best damn movie comp, that's what this comp should be striving to be...not some amatuer joke. Call me a douche, whatever, but I feel for Mattison for not making the top 3 and losing to Roadblock's video. It's a f..king disgrace, and this community should be ashamed. This comp is supposed to encourage people to try to raise the standards, not lower them by making vid's like Roadblock's...no offense to Roadblock obviously, this is not a personal attack against him, he's a nice ass guy, but I'm sure even he's surprised he made it this far...

Makes me wonder, maybe all us editors who try to make something unique, entertaining, and fun but get beat by vids like Roadblock's should just start making vid's like that...see what kind of impact that'll have on the community.
S a L a Y a

Seraphic
Level 30
Subtract from Seraphic's ReputationAdd to Seraphic's Reputation Seraphic is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Seraphic
08-27-2010

lol @ ptw putting himself and wanny in the same sentence

put the f**kin lotion in the basket
pTw
Level 28
Subtract from pTw's ReputationAdd to pTw's Reputation pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
Not really, because Roadblock had amazing footage, and you're kinda arguing on subjectivity here. There's nothing wrong with an old school styled video with translucent editing if the footage is amazing enough to carry it.
So when are you going to put down the front and be honest? If you admitted that RB's tage in the top 3 is bad for the community and makes this comp a joke, it makes YOU look bad because you are helping to run the comp...who cares? Drop the act and be realistic. Roadblock's tage in the top 3 encourages people to make videos with less effort put into them...and that's bad. Ya, translucent editing, highlight style film instead of artistic style film etc whatever, it's still detrimental to the community and encourages lower quality films.

Quote:
This competition isn't about which video is most deserving, this competition is about which video is most popular by the community in terms of entertainment. And there is no "correct" way to entertain; you just need to reach it, and how it is received comes down to personal preference. They're all great videos, so now it comes to the personal preference of the community as a whole.
Who said this competition is about deserving anything? The point of the competition is to encourage higher quality videos. That means, a step up from whatever was considered "high quality" last year for example, or LAST COMP. Outside of RB's tage being in the top 3, this competition has accomplished that. However, it's detrimental to the development of the community to be praising RB's video when a video like Tizoxic's(or any other pro tage) brings everything RB's video brings, AND MORE.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Frenetic Array is my favorite video in the competition... but it's not like I can't level with the people who didn't like it and voted for Roadblock instead. There was real impressive sh.t in all the entries that made the top 10, let alone top 5. Roadblock is no exception.
You really need to stop putting up this fake front. If you're going to be fake and not post your thoughts there's no point in arguing with you, you know RB's vid in the top 3 is bullsh.t, and you know there was nothing impressive in 3 that made the top 10 over a bunch of solid pro entries.

Your point of view is very humble, but humility is often accompanied with ignorance, and you my friend are being ignorant right now.
pTw
Level 28
Subtract from pTw's ReputationAdd to pTw's Reputation pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXpiReD v2 View Post
^^^^^
best post in the thread.

It's not about money, it's about recognition. We make vids for the recognition, the views, and the praise. When a video like RB gets the recognition over people like us who go to great lengths to create something special for the community, it's a pretty sh.tty feeling. That recognition should go to a video that tried to go above and beyond and change things, not a video that sends the message, "hey, f..k those guys who try so hard at making something new, watch this sh.t, vote for it, and rub it in their dumb faces for trying to be good at something all of us see as insignificant, but hey, while we're at it, lets also recognize the great effort put into M2 to really piss them off and get them confused." I'm sure RB's vid didn't intend to do that, but that's the message the community is sending people like me, by voting it into the top 3.

Do you get it now...?
crucifix
wsup den
Subtract from crucifix's ReputationAdd to crucifix's Reputation crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards View Post
Well thats the thing, not many videos are unique, and the f.cking great unique videos are long voted off of this competition.

Out of the videos that are left, I don't find any of them enjoyable, with the exception of Black Box. Some peopel think I'm way too over-critical about Halo 3 vids, but I get tired of seeing the same stupid stuff (Low-Level, social gameplay, the same spots, the same high multis, the same generic music, the same generic editing but some go above and beyond with genericness)

100 percent agree with you man. But the community is so nonchalant and at times they don't think before they act.

man. black box was the sh.t.

reow
Spoiler!