Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
NoK
Downloading
Subtract from NoK's ReputationAdd to NoK's Reputation NoK is on the rise to fame NoK is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to NoK Send a message via MSN to NoK Send a message via Skype™ to NoK
09-02-2008
Default LHC due in 8 days...end of the world?

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) and I'm still very curious to the consequences of it...

I know it has the ability to produce black holes which can spread exponentially and consume the earth in a matter of seconds, but what else can actually happen? The odds are very small of something extremely catastrophic, but are there other things that could happen? i.e. like the Y2K scare, all technology shutting off for a certain period of time?

Discuss.

EDIT: I'll be putting up other material as the week goes by.

Video showing what would theoretically happen if it did create a black hole... http://www.misunderstooduniverse.com/Comp_Blackhole.htm
PSN: SimplyKlug
Twitter

Last edited by NoK; 09-02-2008 at 04:30 PM.
CraftyVertan
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from CraftyVertan's ReputationAdd to CraftyVertan's Reputation CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000
09-02-2008

What experiment are they running first on this machine?

I know that it is capable of doing a load of things.
NoK
Downloading
Subtract from NoK's ReputationAdd to NoK's Reputation NoK is on the rise to fame NoK is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to NoK Send a message via MSN to NoK Send a message via Skype™ to NoK
09-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyVertan View Post
What experiment are they running first on this machine?

I know that it is capable of doing a load of things.
They're doing the particle collision test first, I think. I'll look at their schedule again.

Essentially 26 kilometers of underground tubing, they send millions of protons one way, and millions the other way. The -260 (not exact) degree Celsius chamber is supposed to replicate space, I assume.

And when they collide it's supposed to replicate the Big Bang theory.

EDIT: More on the injection testing:
http://lhc-injection-test.web.cern.ch/lhc-injection-tes...

Hardware Commissioning Coordination schedules:
http://hcc.web.cern.ch/hcc/meetings_schedules

Commissioning schedule:
http://lhc-commissioning.web.cern.ch/lhc-commissioning

Looks like it will be as late as October before 10TeV reached. 14TeV won't be attempted until 2009.

I'm not entirely sure what they're doing on the 10th..I think they're just turning it on, but the actual final speeds won't be reached for months...
Twitter

Last edited by NoK; 09-02-2008 at 04:37 PM.
CraftyVertan
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from CraftyVertan's ReputationAdd to CraftyVertan's Reputation CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000
09-02-2008

Ah.

That seems to be one of the more interesting experiments that they will be performing with this thing.

I'm sure they would not do it if there was a legit chance of complete chaos.
NoK
Downloading
09-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyVertan View Post
Ah.

That seems to be one of the more interesting experiments that they will be performing with this thing.

I'm sure they would not do it if there was a legit chance of complete chaos.
That's the thing, they're doing it regardless of the consquences. They've said before "We honestly have no idea what will happen, that's why we're doing it."

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9XotvwgnaY
Twitter
HAble
Praying for tidal waves..
Subtract from HAble's ReputationAdd to HAble's Reputation HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000 HAble IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to HAble
09-02-2008

I don't trust this thing.... at all.

I could care less if they're trying to prove something, it's just stupid. Risk something that catostraphic to find out if the earth was made with a 'bang'.
Xyox is gay
NoK
Downloading
09-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAblelicious View Post
I don't trust this thing.... at all.

I could care less if they're trying to prove something, it's just stupid. Risk something that catostraphic to find out if the earth was made with a 'bang'.
It's not just to find out about the "Big Bang," there's so much more.

For instance, the LHC has the ability to get dark matter, or antimatter as some people call it. A half a gram of antimatter is enough to cause Hiroshima again...if we can somehow harness that, think of the possibilities of energy and what not.

Not to mention "Internet 2" is underway as well, and the only way that'll work is if the LHC can harness the needed electricity.
Twitter
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
09-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoK View Post
It's not just to find out about the "Big Bang," there's so much more.

For instance, the LHC has the ability to get dark matter, or antimatter as some people call it. A half a gram of antimatter is enough to cause Hiroshima again...if we can somehow harness that, think of the possibilities of energy and what not.

Not to mention "Internet 2" is underway as well, and the only way that'll work is if the LHC can harness the needed electricity.
Anti-matter and dark matter are two entirely different things....

Edit: you guys are freaking out about this for no reason at all. The odds that it will create a black hole is EXTREMELY small and even if it did, the most likely scenario is that it will be an unstable black hole and deteriorate before it can gain enough mass to become stable. That website didnt work, but i doubt it was correct anyway. The only thing they are trying to figure out is whether or not the higgs-boson particle exists or not. The higgs-boson is the last particle that is predicted from the big-bang that we have not discovered because it is extremely heavy and broke down soon after the big-bang. If they do not detect the higgs-boson then the big-bang theory is not correct and we have to start from scratch.

double edit: Let me know if you want me to explain anti-matter, its pretty cool.

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.

Last edited by Tormaster; 09-02-2008 at 07:29 PM.
NoK
Downloading
09-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormaster View Post
Anti-matter and dark matter are two entirely different things....

Edit: you guys are freaking out about this for no reason at all. The odds that it will create a black hole is EXTREMELY small and even if it did, the most likely scenario is that it will be an unstable black hole and deteriorate before it can gain enough mass to become stable. That website didnt work, but i doubt it was correct anyway. The only thing they are trying to figure out is whether or not the higgs-boson particle exists or not. The higgs-boson is the last particle that is predicted from the big-bang that we have not discovered because it is extremely heavy and broke down soon after the big-bang. If they do not detect the higgs-boson then the big-bang theory is not correct and we have to start from scratch.

double edit: Let me know if you want me to explain anti-matter, its pretty cool.
Please do, I wasn't aware they were different.
Twitter
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
09-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoK View Post
Please do, I wasn't aware they were different.
Anti-matter is a particle with the oppisite spin of regular matter. When anit-matter encounters matter, they cancel each other out and turn into pure energy. We really have no idea what dark matter is, only that it makes up about 25% of our universe, while visibe matter makes up 5% and dark energy makes up the other 70%. We can see anti-matter, and we can interact with it. We have never seen dark matter because as far as we know, it does not reflect any type of light. The only reason we theorize that dark matter exists is because of the gravitational affects it has on our universe. We have never seen or interacted with dark matter, we have seen and interacted with anti-matter.

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.