Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
PhilliesPhan
Auld Lang Syne
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,448
Subtract from PhilliesPhan's ReputationAdd to PhilliesPhan's Reputation PhilliesPhan is a novice
Send a message via AIM to PhilliesPhan
#11
09-05-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Strawman, much?
That's actually an understatement, if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Kania View Post
Pastafarianism is the true religion because the Flying Spaghetti Monster told me so.

RAmen.
It has to be the true religion because it is said that the FSM plants evidence against his existence to fool nonbelievers.
Mobb was here.
Publik Uprising
Level 25
Publik Uprising's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: StL
Posts: 864
Subtract from Publik Uprising's ReputationAdd to Publik Uprising's Reputation Publik Uprising is a novice
#12
09-05-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

It has to be the true religion because it is said that the FSM plants evidence against his existence to fool nonbelievers.
I was touched by His noodly appendage.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#13
09-05-2008
Default

Dudeism.
Busy, busy, busy
`NthErik.
Amokläufer
`NthErik.'s Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 9,263
Subtract from `NthErik.'s ReputationAdd to `NthErik.'s Reputation `NthErik. is a novice
Send a message via AIM to `NthErik.
#14
09-05-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
What about Nothing-ism?

No, it's still a strawman.
Are you some kind of Germanic-root supremacist? The word is "nihilism," brah.

ViceR
uhGoGo
ViceR's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 8,141
Subtract from ViceR's ReputationAdd to ViceR's Reputation ViceR is on the rise to fame ViceR is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to ViceR
#15
09-05-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Kania View Post
Pastafarianism is the true religion because the Flying Spaghetti Monster told me so.

RAmen.
I'm all about some Pastafarianism.

Delay
Level 44
Delay's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 10,693
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
#16
09-06-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoSNakE==[:]~ View Post
I want to know what you all think the TRUE religion is and explain. If you think that it is Christianity, be more specific because there are 10,000 + different sects of Christianity in the U.S. alone. Jesus came to the earth to start only one religion, not 10,000 + forms of it. So let me know what you think is the TRUE religion.
Just because I find it absolutely fascinating, let me see if I can help you/anyone else understand why denominations happen. Then I'll answer your question :)

Since you used Christianity as the example religion, I'll follow, and likewise use that religion :). I don't know the exact number, but lets say it is 10,000 +. You have to realize all religions, as well as any other belief system for that matter, have denominations. True, Christianity may have the most, but that would directly coorelate with that fact that Christianity is the most popular religion in the world. But the number of denominations is irrelevant to my example, so lets move on....

These 10,000 + denominations are in fact all Christians, they are not other religions. while some denominations my be so radical that many would agrue that they aren't Christians is again irrelevant. I'm not here to debate about that. All I'm saying is that those 10,000 + denominations would hopefully all in the end delcare Jesus as Lord and savior of the world, who died for humankind's sins, and was then rasied from the dead and now is in Heaven. Which is a rough one sentence statement defining what a Christian is.

The reason for the 10,000 + denominations, and yes this applies to any form of religion or belief system is this; Can't really think of a great example right now but hopefully you can see my point. Lets take honesty, simple enough. Bible says to be honest. This is where the denominations start forming. You'll then have some people think white lies are okay. You'll have some people think lying to a strangers is okay. You'll have some people think lying to there significant other is okay. Etc. And you'll have some that say all these examples are unacceptable.

To help you understand it furthermore, I'll give you examples...
White Lies - You tell your dad you're going to the bathroom during a MLB game, when really you go an buy him a signed cap. Is that okay? Or are you disobeying the bible?
Stranger - You're walking home from school, a man asks for directions to a specific place, after you answer/don't answer he says "hey you look familiar, where do you live?" You give him a fake address fearing he doesn't really know you. Is that okay? Or are you disobeying the bible?
Significant Other - Wife/Girlfriend says "Do I look pretty tonight?" You honestly believe she doesn't, but you say yes, because you know she would love to hear it. Is that okay? Or are you disobeying the bible?
Other - All of these people are lying according to this type of person. Pretty self explanitory.

Keep in mind that all of this is just one example from just one command given in the bible. Add up a few, or hundreds, or thousands of these types of examples to any religion/belief system and people begin forming denominations. This is why, even if you have the same religion/belief system as someone else, you may still not see eye to eye on everything.

Now to answer your question. I believe Jesus is God, and that the only way to get to heaven is to believe in him and follow his teachings, so yes, I am a Christian. Because it says so in the bible is my explanation :P

Last edited by Delay; 09-06-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Cheehwawa
Level 14
Cheehwawa's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 217
Subtract from Cheehwawa's ReputationAdd to Cheehwawa's Reputation Cheehwawa is a novice
#17
09-06-2008
Default

Delay, I have an example you could use. The ancient Greeks had different names for the same basic Gods depending on where they lived; i.e. those on Cyprus called Aphrodite Kypris
GAMERTAG: Cheehwawa
Add me for customs. I play all kinds, from MLG to Tremors to Infection.



Fileshare: Linkage
Check out and rate my files, please!

Delay
Level 44
Delay's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 10,693
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
#18
09-07-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheehwawa View Post
Delay, I have an example you could use. The ancient Greeks had different names for the same basic Gods depending on where they lived; i.e. those on Cyprus called Aphrodite Kypris
Thanks for giving me an example.

But I honestly don't understand what you're talking about haha.
Publik Uprising
Level 25
Publik Uprising's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: StL
Posts: 864
Subtract from Publik Uprising's ReputationAdd to Publik Uprising's Reputation Publik Uprising is a novice
#19
09-07-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sC DeLAy View Post
Thanks for giving me an example.

But I honestly don't understand what you're talking about haha.
He's talking about how some Greek subcultures called the Gods by different names, and they can be separated into something similar to a denomination.
General AI
Eats Small Children
General AI's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oh crap, I'm lost!
Posts: 3,022
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
#20
09-07-2008
Default

The term "true religion" is an oxymoron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off