Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
II brook II
Level 15
Subtract from II brook II's ReputationAdd to II brook II's Reputation II brook II is a novice
Send a message via MSN to II brook II Send a message via Yahoo to II brook II
01-15-2008
Default Question about Free will, Christians welcome!

First off, I want to say this...

This is a thread talking about my thoughts on the subject and other's thoughts on the subject.
This is not a thread for "God doesn't exist" and "Religion is stupid".
So, any one is welcome to read this, but if you are going to post anything like the above, just don't. That's not what this thread is about.

Ok, on subject.
I've always been curious about how free will and God knowing every thing that will happen can coincide.
I finally got a good answer last year and I was just wondering what other people thought of it and what you think on the subject.

My theory came from what I read in a book. So this is not my own, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Illustration:
You come home from school. You walk in the door, set down your back pack, take off your shoes and then think, "What should I do know?"
You have many choices. You could, read a book, watch tv, play video games, play a musical instrument, do home work, surf the web, just to name a few.
End illustration.

Now, those who don't believe in God or don't believe in free will, or both, would say if God knows what I'm going to do, then I do not decide, it's predestined.

This is how I would answer.

I don't look at it as a strait; this is the line of your life.
I look at it this way.
When you come to a decision point, there are numerous choices you can take (it branches out almost exponentially).
God knows every choice, and knows every result of every choice. Therefore, no matter what you choose (free will) God knows what will happen.

I looked at this theory last night from the point of view of some one who did not agree with me and the problem I found with it is this, "But dose God know what decision you are going to make? Or every time you come to a choice position, God sits there wondering what will happen next? Either way, there still isn't free will, or God doesn't know every thing."

I'm still not sure how to answer this question. I know there are some very intelligent Christians out here (Vbras, Bishop the two I know of) and I would love to hear their thoughts as well as any other person as long as it is constructive

Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
01-15-2008

You pretty much answered your own question.

If God knows everything, then he knows what we're going to do. If God doesn't know everything, well then he's not much of a God.

Elmo <3
II brook II
Level 15
Subtract from II brook II's ReputationAdd to II brook II's Reputation II brook II is a novice
Send a message via MSN to II brook II Send a message via Yahoo to II brook II
01-15-2008

A quote i have heard before kinda gives me the answer to my question any ways.

"I don't want a God i can understand. Cause if i can understand Him, then he's no smarter than I am."

there are some things we as humans will never understand about the nature of God till we actually get to ask Him our selves.

Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
01-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by II brook II View Post

"I don't want a God i can understand. Cause if i can understand Him, then he's no smarter than I am."

there are some things we as humans will never understand about the nature of God till we actually get to ask Him our selves.
All that means is that his decisions might not necessarily be in our interest and we probably shouldn't agree with what he says.

Elmo <3
thegunner898989
Level 24
Subtract from thegunner898989's ReputationAdd to thegunner898989's Reputation thegunner898989 is a novice
01-15-2008

Quote:

Such a typical religious answer, ladies and gentlemen... That is just another loophole religious people can use to get out of answering a question. Just like "You can't interpret the bible literally".
Bodozer
single and ready 2 mingle
Subtract from Bodozer's ReputationAdd to Bodozer's Reputation Bodozer is a novice
01-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner898989 View Post
Such a typical religious answer, ladies and gentlemen... That is just another loophole religious people can use to get out of answering a question. Just like "You can't interpret the bible literally".
umm... but you're not supposed to interpret the Bible literally. Are you kidding?
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-15-2008

Quote:
"I don't want a God i can understand. Cause if i can understand Him, then he's no smarter than I am.".
If we could completely understand and figure out God... well he wouldn't be much of a God would he? And no, it's not a cop-out, it's interesting to think about.

I'll get to your post about free will, i need some time though as this is something i've often pondered on but really haven't come to a conclusion yet.
x VeLoCiTy
Knives Out
Subtract from x VeLoCiTy's ReputationAdd to x VeLoCiTy's Reputation x VeLoCiTy is a novice
Send a message via AIM to x VeLoCiTy
01-15-2008

You answered your own question very well, God knows the events of every outcome, if hes there.
"I asked you for a refreshing drink, I wasn't expecting a f..king rainforest.."

thegunner898989
Level 24
Subtract from thegunner898989's ReputationAdd to thegunner898989's Reputation thegunner898989 is a novice
01-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodozer View Post
umm... but you're not supposed to interpret the Bible literally. Are you kidding?
No, for those who say you can't interpret the bible literally, then you can't interpret ALL of it literally. Therefore, nothing is as it is described in the Bible. Not much of a historical document then is it? As I have said before, you cannot pick and choose what stories you want to interpret literally, as a get out clause, which many Christians do.
Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
01-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
If we could completely understand and figure out God... well he wouldn't be much of a God would he? And no, it's not a cop-out, it's interesting to think about.

I'll get to your post about free will, i need some time though as this is something i've often pondered on but really haven't come to a conclusion yet.
Yet this being that is beyond comprehension has human emotions, k got it.

Also, you've already made the choice generally based on tons of factors that we can't feasibly take into account. Occasionally we mix it up.