Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
01-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
I'm simply retarded. Therefore, i require you to explain to me the difference.
Atheism is a lack of belief in deities. 'A' = without 'theism' = belief in a deity or deities =/= belief that there are no deities. I don't know if there is a God or not, I am agnostic about God. I don't actively belief in a deity however, therefore I am atheist because I lack belief in God.

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
One makes a positive claim to god's nonexistence, the other does not and is simply a default stance.
So what distinguishes the latter from an agnostic?
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
01-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
So what distinguishes the latter from an agnostic?
This is copypasta from two posts I made in a thread about agnosticism. You can find the thread here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia
Agnosticism isn't "I don't believe in God but I don't rule out the possibility," it's "I don't know/cannot know." There are agnostic theists.
Agnostic theists believe in a god but admit that they don't know or that it cannot be known.
Agnostics who don't "know" whether a god exists default to atheism, yes, but there are also agnostics who claim that such knowledge is inherently unknowable. These "strong agnostics" would say something like "I don't know, and you don't either." They believe that the nature and attributes given to a god are beyond the grasp of the human mind - that those divine attributes transcend human comprehension, and that he concept of God is just too big a subject for a person to wrap his or her mind around.
To weak agnostics, the existence of god is currently unknown, but a possibility, and is not necessarily unknowable, and therefore withhold judgment until more evidence (if any) becomes available.

The term doesn't deal merely with existence and belief, like the term "atheism," but also with the very nature of a deity."
Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia
Agnosticism relates more to the limits of human understanding of the nature of deities than their existence - whether the existence of a deity can be known (by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience). There are strong atheists and weak atheists. Strong atheists accept the proposition "deities do not exist" as true, while weak atheists are simply nontheistic. Strong atheism is not agnosticism.
Some agnostics assert that the existence of a deity is completely unknowable, and assign no truth value to the claims "a god exists" and "a god does not exist." Technically they're atheists in that they aren't explicitly, specifically theist, but they aren't so-called "strong atheists," because they do not explicitly state "no gods exist."
Agnosticism is not incompatible with theism. One can say "I don't/one can't know there is a deity, but I tend to believe in one." One can also say "I don't/one can't know there is not a deity, but I'm skeptical." These would be agnostic theism and agnostic atheism, respectively.
Because agnostic theism is a possibility, the term "agnostic" has value and is distinguishable from atheism. It just happens that you don't often hear Christians/Muslims/Jews say "I don't know there's a god, but I believe in one."
Spoiler!
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
01-13-2008

Atheism as I describe it to people:

By a default there is no god. There is no active belief in anything that hasn't had any evidence for it put forth.

Agnosticism: An atheist untill he is put in the presence of god. Thus, a non-existent category and something that should be sticken from our language.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621