Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
01-05-2008

Conspiring sounds so negative.

"We're not ignoring you" sounds better.
Busy, busy, busy
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
01-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
I feel so out of the loop.
I thought you were in it too...

Think really hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
XxGRECOxX
Level 15
Subtract from XxGRECOxX's ReputationAdd to XxGRECOxX's Reputation XxGRECOxX is a novice
01-06-2008

Torment. Suppose you live your entire life without believing in an afterlife. And if when you die nothing happens then oh well. But if you die and there is an afterlife what a pleasant surprise right?

thats how I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
Oh no, the United Atheist Alliance, err Allied Alliance of Atheist, errr w/e are conspiring against us believers..
Hail Science!

Last edited by NG; 01-06-2008 at 07:48 PM.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
01-06-2008

GRECO, what you just described is called Pascal's Wager; it's been brought up a bunch on this topic but the argument is horrendously flawed. Your faith is not justified or true if it's made on a gamble.
Busy, busy, busy
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
01-06-2008

I didnt get any PM marked!

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
01-08-2008

Pascal was a Christian mathematician, probably one of the most intelligent individuals around during his time. When he wrote The Wager, his intended audience was that of the Christian community, not atheistic naturalists. I think the main question is "Why would Pascal write The Wager to Christians who already believe as opposed to those who don't believe?"

To which I would reply the following: Has anyone seen the Christian community nowadays? It's generally misguided and lead by ignorant individuals who desire wealth and power over expanding Christianity. Example: Televangelists!

With that in mind, the whole purpose of The Wager was to strengthen the Christian community's faith rather than provide a logical argument for non-believers to believe. It puts the emphasis on what we have to look forward to rather than the present situations we are in. When Christians begin to realize the life in store for them, it would drastically change the way in which we think, and even behave towards those around us!
H 2 F R e G s
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
01-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiShoP View Post
Pascal was a Christian mathematician, probably one of the most intelligent individuals around during his time. When he wrote The Wager, his intended audience was that of the Christian community, not atheistic naturalists. I think the main question is "Why would Pascal write The Wager to Christians who already believe as opposed to those who don't believe?"

To which I would reply the following: Has anyone seen the Christian community nowadays? It's generally misguided and lead by ignorant individuals who desire wealth and power over expanding Christianity. Example: Televangelists!

With that in mind, the whole purpose of The Wager was to strengthen the Christian community's faith rather than provide a logical argument for non-believers to believe. It puts the emphasis on what we have to look forward to rather than the present situations we are in. When Christians begin to realize the life in store for them, it would drastically change the way in which we think, and even behave towards those around us!
So in other words it is taken out of context when used on non-believers.

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Nomini Patri View Post
So in other words it is taken out of context when used on non-believers.
Taken out of context?
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
01-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Taken out of context?
Yeah. If I interpreted what you posted in the above quote as you asking if I want you to say "cotext" I would be taking you out of context. Pascal's Wager was never intended for use on non-believers, thus to use it on non-believers is to take it out of context for your own means of use.

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Nomini Patri View Post
Yeah. If I interpreted what you posted in the above quote as you asking if I want you to say "cotext" I would be taking you out of context. Pascal's Wager was never intended for use on non-believers, thus to use it on non-believers is to take it out of context for your own means of use.
Gotcha