Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.livescience.com/health/071210-faster-evolution.html

Our Stone Age ancestors were more genetically similar to Neanderthals than they are to us, as our species has evolved 100 times faster in the past 5,000 years than at any other time in human evolution, a new study indicates.

Conventional wisdom has held that human evolution slowed as modern humans emerged and even stopped with us, but genetic data is now showing that the opposite is true, with aspects of our cultures, such as diet and medicine, and the ballooning human population pushing the gas pedal on the evolution of our species.

Anthropologist John Hawks of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and his colleagues analyzed data from the International HapMap Project, which works to catalog the genetic similarities and differences among humans from cultures around the globe.this map of genetic variation can give insight into changes in human genes over time.

New genes

DNA is constantly being reshuffled via recombination, so researchers examine genetic changes over evolutionary time by locating long sequences of DNA variations.because they are uninterrupted, they seem to have been positively selected for over time.

Hawks and his team found evidence of recent selection on approximately 1,800 genes, or 7 percent of all human genes.

One example of such a gene is lactase, which helps people digest milk. The gene normally declines and stops all activity in the teen years, said Hawks. But northern Europeans developed a variation that allowed them to drink milk their whole lives.a relatively new adaptation that resulted from domestic farming.

The biggest new pathway for selection relates to disease resistance, Hawks said. As people started living in large communities about 10,000 years ago, epidemic diseases such as malaria, smallpox and cholera, swept through and changed patterns of human mortality. As a result, humans with genetic adaptations for resistance to these diseases were selected for.

Another recently discovered gene, CCR5, which makes people resistant to HIV/AIDS, originated about 4,000 years ago and now exists in about 10 percent of the European population.

"There are many things under selection that are making it harder for pathogens to kills us," Hawks said.

Population explosion

The huge growth of the human population is making all these changes occur faster because large populations have more genetic variation, Hawks said. Only a few million humans lived on the planet 10,000 years ago. This number hit 200 million people at 0 A.D., 600 million people in 1700 and today it has risen to more than 6.5 billion people.

"What's really amazing about humans, that is not true with most other species, is that for a long time we were just a little ape species in one corner of Africa and weren't genetically sampling anything like the potential we have now," Hawks said.

The most recent changes in the past 5,000 years are the most striking, according to Hawks.

"Five thousand years is such a small sliver of time.it's 100 to 200 generations ago," he said. "That's how long it's been since some of these genes originated, and today they are in 30 to 40 percent of people because they've had such an advantage. It's like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers.'"

The findings were published online today by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
I found some evidence for human evolution, and oh sh.t yeah is it sweet.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
FFletcHH
Level 15
Subtract from FFletcHH's ReputationAdd to FFletcHH's Reputation FFletcHH is a novice
Send a message via AIM to FFletcHH Send a message via MSN to FFletcHH
12-11-2007

Well now people can quit denying that evolution hasn't been documented, or they have seen it happen.

I just spent yesterday and the early part of today reading this thread. I actually learned somethings from marked, butthair, niceguy, and others. I also realized how ignorant some people can be. I don't even think its ignorance, as much as stubborness. But the reason i read the whole thread was to see if some of the questions i have about genetic manipulation had been answered.

So now to ask some questions:

1. Do you think it would be possible to change our healing process, like a lizard's tail growing back, by manipulating our dna? And if so, how near in the future might this be happening?

If any of you are familiar with the show Heroes, certain people have certain powers, one being telekenesis(sp? i hate not having firefox at school). First of all,
2.Do you think moving things with your mind is even possible?(using magnetism or something else)
3.Do you think it could be possible to manipulate our DNA to strengthen these abilites? Possibly give us the ability to manipulate other elements like fire, water, air, etc?

This may be too sci-fi, but im just wondering
GT:FFletcHH
AIM:HiimFLetcH

Miles
Level 10
Subtract from Miles's ReputationAdd to Miles's Reputation Miles is a novice
Send a message via MSN to Miles
12-11-2007

I came across this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7132794.stm) interesting article today, and I thought you guys may find it quite interesting.

What it says is that in the past 5000 years, evolution in humans has 'sped up' to 100x faster than at any other period.

I'm not entirely sure of the ramifications of this (i.e. whether new born babies are going to have gills etc in the next 100 year =p), but it is an interesting read, and I'm sure that someone here can explain it a lot better than I could.

/Miles
GT: x Numinator x
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
12-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I came across this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7132794.stm) interesting article today, and I thought you guys may find it quite interesting.

What it says is that in the past 5000 years, evolution in humans has 'sped up' to 100x faster than at any other period.

I'm not entirely sure of the ramifications of this (i.e. whether new born babies are going to have gills etc in the next 100 year =p), but it is an interesting read, and I'm sure that someone here can explain it a lot better than I could.

/Miles

Without knowing what SNP they were looking at and where it is then we can't really know what genetic changes to consider.

This could just be different rates of point mutations due to environmental stresses or something much bigger.

I would say that we are in a state where sexual selection is our biggest factor for diverging genetic change.

But with a global economy continuously developing environmental factors could be brought to a mininum. We are all going to be under the same range of food, environmental, and cultrual circumstances where all there will be is sexual selection.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
josh1337
Level 39
Subtract from josh1337's ReputationAdd to josh1337's Reputation josh1337 is on the rise to fame josh1337 is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to josh1337 Send a message via Skype™ to josh1337
12-16-2007

I searched the thread for the term microevolution and nothing came up so if you've already answered this just direct me to the right page.

I argue with a friend who claims that all observable evolution is microevolution and that the Darwinian Evolution taught in biology classes is macroevolution which is false and can not be proven true. Then he goes on about the bible or something. I think this is the basic argument for religious types against evolution.

I said that microevolution over time is macroevolution. He said one species to a similar species with a mutation is true as micro. But you can't go from say frog to gorilla.

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
12-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1337 View Post
I searched the thread for the term microevolution and nothing came up so if you've already answered this just direct me to the right page.

I argue with a friend who claims that all observable evolution is microevolution and that the Darwinian Evolution taught in biology classes is macroevolution which is false and can not be proven true. Then he goes on about the bible or something. I think this is the basic argument for religious types against evolution.

I said that microevolution over time is macroevolution. He said one species to a similar species with a mutation is true as micro. But you can't go from say frog to gorilla.
Macroevolution is defined byt he spitting of a species into two or more species or some other taxa above the species level.

This happens every day honestly.

It has happened right in front of us so many times it is rediculous that anyone ( and I don't care if you are not scientifically inclined ) that says otherwise is just stupid and didn't bother to do any sort of research into what the term means and must walk around with their eyes shut.

Just google it and you will find tons of examples for it.

And honestly these terms are on their way out of scientific usage as it seems that it is no longer necessary to distinguish between the two anymore. Evolution is just evolution and there have been so many different kinds of observable speciation that two broad categories no longer fits what we see as the number of intervals between the two has grown with the many, many examples we have observed.

EDIT: If you want some direction for ammo in your discussion with him, look towards plants.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

josh1337
Level 39
Subtract from josh1337's ReputationAdd to josh1337's Reputation josh1337 is on the rise to fame josh1337 is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to josh1337 Send a message via Skype™ to josh1337
12-18-2007

Thank you kindly. =)

MarkedAchilles
12-28-2007

Found a cute activity about the evolution mammoths:

http://school.discoveryeducation.com...h/steppe1.html

And a little fun family tree:

http://www.exn.ca/mammoth/FamilyTree.cfm

I just watched Ice Age 2 again . . .

MarkedAchilles
01-14-2008

So I am watching Orangatan Island. It rules.

There is this female that lived with humans for 2 years and walks upright now.

She is now back in a group and other orangatans are starting to walk upright too.

They look like hairy ginger kids.

Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
01-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
So I am watching Orangatan Island. It rules.

There is this female that lived with humans for 2 years and walks upright now.

She is now back in a group and other orangatans are starting to walk upright too.

They look like hairy ginger kids.
lol sweet, what channel?

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.