Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
10-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxscorpioxX View Post
Another thing is that evolution suggests species can turn into different species. This has never been observed. No one is ever going to give birth to a dog, because the genetic information in our cells is absolutely different. I've heard that it is believed dolphins originally came from cows. How would this occur over a long period or time? Dolphins have specialized blow holes that block water out when they are under water, but they breath out of when they go up for air. Would these dolphin/cows just live on land until finally they developed blow holes so they could go on water?
Your straw-manning that entire theory. There are links between species; that doesn't necessarily mean dolphins came from cows, just like humans didn't come from apes -- we share common ancestors, that's all.

Where the hell is MarkedAchilles?
Busy, busy, busy
XxscorpioxX
Level 19
Subtract from XxscorpioxX's ReputationAdd to XxscorpioxX's Reputation XxscorpioxX is a novice
10-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Have you heard of gradualism?

Second of all, where did you get the idea that the only way (macro)evolution can occur is if a human gives birth to a dog? That's not how Evolution works. It's a strawman
I know that's not the way it works, but still it hasn't been observed that one species can eventually become another. I also don't understand why if a species gradually turned into another, shouldn't there be tons of fossils showing this in between species?

NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
10-01-2007

Quote:
I know that's not the way it works, but still it hasn't been observed that one species can eventually become another. I also don't understand why if a species gradually turned into another, shouldn't there be tons of fossils showing this in between species?
For one, we haven't lived long enough to observe that. Evolutionary changes take thousands of years. Also, in response to the argument of lack of fossil evidence, it doesn't necessarily follow that because a species existed that there will be fossil evidence of it. There's lots of things we know to exist that weren't discovered or supported by fossils.
Busy, busy, busy
XxscorpioxX
Level 19
Subtract from XxscorpioxX's ReputationAdd to XxscorpioxX's Reputation XxscorpioxX is a novice
10-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
For one, we haven't lived long enough to observe that. Evolutionary changes take thousands of years. Also, in response to the argument of lack of fossil evidence, it doesn't necessarily follow that because a species existed that there will be fossil evidence of it. There's lots of things we know to exist that weren't discovered or supported by fossils.
I see where you're coming from on this, but no one ever really posted a response to my first point: Life can't come from non life.

NG
poo-tee-weet?
10-01-2007

Quote:
I see where you're coming from on this, but no one ever really posted a response to my first point: Life can't come from non life.
Well what's your answer? God?

This is about evolution, biology, and genetics -- not the beginning of the universe.
Busy, busy, busy
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
10-01-2007

Quote:
Yes it has.

Quote:
It can, but that doesn't really matter.
Spoiler!
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
10-01-2007

Quote:
I remembering reading about this African beetle. This beetle had a defense mechanism in it where it would spray a explosive chemical out of its backside. The way this mechanism worked, two different chemicals were shot out from different parts of the beetle, and joined once they were outside of it. How would this gradually come over time, as evolution suggests? It would have to slowly evolve each different tube for the separate chemicals in the different parts of its mechanism, put if it didn't have all of the parts working perfectly, dead beetle. If it evolved like this it would quickly go extinct.
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB310.html

Perhaps scorpio, you could demonstrate holes in the theory and not just post your misunderstandings of insect physiology as an argument for special creation. Disproving the Theory of Evolution does not suddenly validate intelligent design, there must be evidence on offer from you for intelligent design as well.

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
XxscorpioxX
Level 19
10-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Nomini Patri View Post
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB310.html

Perhaps scorpio, you could demonstrate holes in the theory and not just post your misunderstandings of insect physiology as an argument for special creation. Disproving the Theory of Evolution does not suddenly validate intelligent design, there must be evidence on offer from you for intelligent design as well.
Many evidences for intelligent design can be found in the complexity in our own bodies. Here is an example, the eye.
What my point is here is that without all or the different parts of our eyes working together, we wouldn't be able to see. It's the same thing with our ears. Were we blind and death until we eventually developed these things?

Last edited by XxscorpioxX; 10-01-2007 at 08:11 PM.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
10-01-2007

Quote:
Many evidences for intelligent design can be found in the complexity in our own bodies. Here is an example, the eye.
WHAT?!

Just because science hasn't made any confident conclusions doesn't imply intelligent design. The burden of proof for scientists is constantly under investitation and observation -- the burden of proof is FAR heavier to propose that a whimsical being created it.

edit: We're still blind and deaf. Our aposteriori senses are constantly failing us. So much for intelligent design.
Busy, busy, busy
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
10-01-2007

Quote:
http://talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB301.html
Notice a pattern with your points? They're all clich creationist rhetoric.
So-called "irreducible complexity" is an argument from ignorance, and a god of the gaps argument. That you can't conceive of a way an eye could have evolved does not prove that it didn't.
Additionally, saying "if there are truly irreducible parts of the body, then intelligent design is the correct explanation" creates a false dichotomy.
Spoiler!