Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Complete Off-Topic

Display Modes Thread Tools
Bromara
Level 25
Subtract from Bromara's ReputationAdd to Bromara's Reputation Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000
01-13-2014

I also asked my fitness coach why he is having me do 3 working sets of 8 reps with increasing weights each time, and he said "From progressively increasing sets you can give your body differing stimuli (more speed with lower weight) and more unit recruitment with higher weight."

I think I understand what he's getting at but couldn't a similar effect be achieved by having heavy days and then seperate volume days at lower weights? I'm not sure if that would have the same effect or which method would be more effective in gaining strength and size. Anyways just thought I'd share with you guys since I got an answer.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
01-13-2014

muscle confusion brah
Spoiler!
Bromara
Level 25
Subtract from Bromara's ReputationAdd to Bromara's Reputation Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000 Bromara IS OVER 9000
01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
muscle confusion brah
And what does that do exactly?
The Pistol
Wannabe baller
Subtract from The Pistol's ReputationAdd to The Pistol's Reputation The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to The Pistol
01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromara View Post
And what does that do exactly?

muscles dont get used to the movement.

you body would get used to say doing the same number of pull ups every single day and you would see no gain
www.youtube.com/JsGameRoom
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
01-13-2014

I was making a joke, it's a stupid concept that isn't based in any sort of legitimate science or even anecdote.

Know what confuses muscles? Adding weight to the bar. That justification your coach gave sounds like some fucking P90x garbage.
Spoiler!
The Pistol
Wannabe baller
Subtract from The Pistol's ReputationAdd to The Pistol's Reputation The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom The Pistol wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
01-13-2014

Quote:
I was making a joke, it's a stupid concept that isn't based in any sort of legitimate science or even anecdote.

Know what confuses muscles? Adding weight to the bar. That justification your coach gave sounds like some fucking P90x garbage.
I agree and disagree.

P90x.. HAS worked for people. Same with weightlifting.. same with crossfit.. same with Insanity.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
01-13-2014

I'm not going to get into this, but pretty much anything works on an untrained/deconditioned person.

P90X and Insanity and so on "work" because if you go from sitting on your ass/doing no conditioning work to doing 1hr (or whatever the fuck) of conditioning and light resistance training per day, obviously you're going to get some body composition changes, even if everything else remains equal.

But the guys you see in the videos didn't get looking like that by doing the program they're demonstrating/selling. Crossfit guys like Froning don't get to looking like that by doing the official Crossfit WOD, either. Also they aren't natty, so it's p. deceptive for the organization to hold them up as something that is achievable by the average Joe if he just does Crossfit, or P90x, or Insanity, or whatever. This goes for basically any form of exercise or "program" that involves money exchanging hands, so I'm not trying to single any one of them out.

But "muscle confusion" is just marketing buzzwords.
Spoiler!
The Pistol
Wannabe baller
01-13-2014

Quote:
I'm not going to get into this, but pretty much anything works on an untrained/deconditioned person.

P90X and Insanity and so on "work" because if you go from sitting on your ass/doing no conditioning work to doing 1hr (or whatever the fuck) of conditioning and light resistance training per day, obviously you're going to get some body composition changes, even if everything else remains equal.

But the guys you see in the videos didn't get looking like that by doing the program they're demonstrating/selling. Crossfit guys like Froning don't get to looking like that by doing the official Crossfit WOD, either. Also they aren't natty, so it's p. deceptive for the organization to hold them up as something that is achievable by the average Joe if he just does Crossfit, or P90x, or Insanity, or whatever. This goes for basically any form of exercise or "program" that involves money exchanging hands, so I'm not trying to single any one of them out.

But "muscle confusion" is just marketing buzzwords.

What's the difference though?

It works. Period. Going from sitting on your ass to being in shape. It doesn't matter how you do it if you feel better about yourself after

And rich froning.. why wouldn't be natty? He's only 5'9 190.. I mean honestly.. he's been lifting and doing crossfit for years with A LOT of intense training.. There isn't a reason he couldn't get in the shape he's in natty.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
01-13-2014

Well first, in any competitive sport, there's going to be PED use at the world-class level. Literally every single one. When there's that much money on the line, you'd be stupid not to. Even bowlers and ping pong players at that level are known to use them. I am not taking any ethical stance on this, and frankly, it's so widespread I'd rather people just do it too instead of whine about how it's cheating.

In Froning's case, it's certainly possible he's able to maintain what is basically peak potential lean mass for his frame (for a natty), at that fairly low BF%, while still being able to train and recover adequately enough to win competitions, but it's exceedingly unlikely. The body can simply only support so much protein synthesis naturally, and long workouts are catabolic on their own. Sure, he could get there natty and maybe maintain it for a while (year round tho? prob not), but lettuce romaine cereal here.

Again, I don't care that he does it, but it is somewhat misleading and given how costly it can be, I wish there were more honesty about it. Tbh, the legal status of PEDs in this country needs some serious revamping, because there are so many health benefits to testosterone supplementation beyond winning baseball championships, but doctors are afraid to prescribe even a dose so low it's literally barely more effective than placebo.

Quote:
What's the difference though?

It works. Period. Going from sitting on your ass to being in shape. It doesn't matter how you do it if you feel better about yourself after
Mostly the ethics of trading bullshit for money. Like I said, it works, but not for the reasons they say. And when one inevitably outgrows the programs, if all they know is the nonsense they heard in the videos, they are going to be lost and likely backslide.
Spoiler!
The Pistol
Wannabe baller
01-13-2014

This is what you don't understand, not everybody is trying to lift more and more, and etc.

Some people just want to stay in shape, and do enough to stay healthy.