Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming

Display Modes Thread Tools
sk0ls
Level 42
Subtract from sk0ls's ReputationAdd to sk0ls's Reputation sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000
12-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhis View Post
0$ for noobs but you will have to buy cards to keep up.
i put some dollars into the game and have some great cards already but i feel like i just have no clue about general strategy, i've put together a couple "great" decks (ones i found online, and were reported to have great success, including zoolock) and feel as though i'm playing them right but i can't seem to get any W's in ranked. are there any suggestions as to where i should go to learn more about the game????
LOST IN TIME

Phurion
Little King Lion
Subtract from Phurion's ReputationAdd to Phurion's Reputation Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000 Phurion IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Phurion
12-14-2014

Honestly I felt that way at first too, it just takes time you have to practice alot and get used to all of the card interactions and the main cards certain decks/classes use. Its a bit harder now with all of the new cards but if you want we can skype and go over some shit sometime.

Also I didnt see you on my list and when I search your ID nothing comes up I am confuse
Stobs
Classic.
Subtract from Stobs's ReputationAdd to Stobs's Reputation Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000
12-14-2014

sk0ls, I'm not sure how experienced you are or not, so apologies if anything I say seems like basic knowledge to you.

Hearthstone is literally a game of math. I mean this in how you decide to attack, variance on chance-based cards, and your odds every time you draw a card from your deck.

The biggest mistake I made while starting and I see other people making while starting is attacking the opponent's face every time they can, rather than clearing minions to maintain board control. Do not underestimate the power of board control. Playing from behind in hearthstone is not good. And as you become experienced you'll feel exactly how much control (or lack of) you have during the game.

In the short term, attacking face on any given turn might seem like a good idea but in the long run it very well may not be one.

When you attack your opponent's face and leave their minions, you are letting them choose how they'd like all the minions on the board to interact (i.e. which ones attack which ones), which essentially means any competent opponent is going to make the interactions happen in a way that is most to their advantage. But you can avoid this by first using your turn to attack their minions so that you can make sure the math of all the attacks best suits you.
By that I mean you can attack in a way that leaves the most ideal outcome on your (and their) side of the board.

Something else I will note is that in ranked play, you're never going to find a deck that can provide higher than a 70% winrate, and likely not even that. Anything winning you more than half your games is a good deck. There is no god deck that can just run you to legend easy peasy.

So with that in mind I would say the best way to improve is to choose a deck that you like and play it A LOT, making sure to make note of mistakes you make, correct plays you make, certain interactions that determined the outcome of games, best opening plays, etc. (I would say preferably not zoo for this, only because I think other decks offer a lot more to learn than zoo. I think things like druid, warrior, rogue are best to learn. I would say priest and paladin too, but honestly those can be a bit overly trick-based for something like learning to understand competitive play.)

Starting out you will definitely hit some walls (at ranks) that are hard to surpass. But if you are actively making note of what plays in each game determined the outcome, even if it was a loss, then you are improving.

I think good resources for the game are the deck portion of the hearthpwn site.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks
A lot of the decks there have lengthy descriptions about how to use them and some even have the creator's battle tag so that you can ask questions.

I also think there's a lot of value in watching streamers. Try to watch streamers who A) talk their plays out so you can understand their thought process and B) play the same deck as you (less important that A).

Watching streamed tournaments is great also because you have commentators (who are high level players) analyzing the in game plays.

If you have any questions lemme know. Hope I didn't ramble too much. I'll post more when I think of it.
sk0ls
Level 42
Subtract from sk0ls's ReputationAdd to sk0ls's Reputation sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000 sk0ls IS OVER 9000
12-14-2014

I think where i'm at right now is i'm using what i would consider a classic priest, and i just can't stand the deck. Late game is amazing, but getting there is exhausting and i'm constantly overwhelmed by zoos or on my back foot. I feel as though i'm just waiting it out and tbh it stresses me the fuck out in game. I know i should switch decks but priests are the only hero whose basic synergy plays and combos i understand.
I made a deathrattle priest on my own without looking it up and i have a great time playing that because it's fucking crazy (and probably a really terrible deck overall) but its so dependent on having the right cards so idk what to do about it. i've tried introducing draws, but the deck ends up lacking somewhere else.
I guess i just need more experience and to see what other players are doing that works and to learn more about cards and their strategy overall. I guess that's made even more tough starting so late lol.

Classic Priest:

Death Rattle Priest:
LOST IN TIME

Smite
Origins 2015
Subtract from Smite's ReputationAdd to Smite's Reputation Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000 Smite IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Smite Send a message via MSN to Smite
12-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0ls View Post
I think where i'm at right now is i'm using what i would consider a classic priest, and i just can't stand the deck. Late game is amazing, but getting there is exhausting and i'm constantly overwhelmed by zoos or on my back foot. I feel as though i'm just waiting it out and tbh it stresses me the fuck out in game. I know i should switch decks but priests are the only hero whose basic synergy plays and combos i understand.
I made a deathrattle priest on my own without looking it up and i have a great time playing that because it's fucking crazy (and probably a really terrible deck overall) but its so dependent on having the right cards so idk what to do about it. i've tried introducing draws, but the deck ends up lacking somewhere else.
I guess i just need more experience and to see what other players are doing that works and to learn more about cards and their strategy overall. I guess that's made even more tough starting so late lol.

99% of the fun in this game is making terrible decks and just seeing how they do against the meta. You never know when you might add something to it.

Mukandiful
Level 17
Subtract from Mukandiful's ReputationAdd to Mukandiful's Reputation Mukandiful finally popped his Bubble Shield Mukandiful finally popped his Bubble Shield Mukandiful finally popped his Bubble Shield Mukandiful finally popped his Bubble Shield
12-14-2014

1. Give the viewers Text-to-Speech option with donation messages
2. Listen as the messages revolve around racism
3. Moan a little and do a viewer poll on whether to keep on or shut off
4. Complain a bit more & then amp up the value of text-to-speech from a standard donation to about $5
5. Nothing has changed and then amp up the value to $10 per message for text-to-speech.

Easy Money!

I'm pretty sure no-one is really watching the gameplay. Just listening to what the internet can come up with to say in their 20 seconds of "limelight". Not to say some of the messages aren't amusing but its the internet so 100% of them are stupid.

TRAPHOUSE // YOUTHFOOL // MUKANDIVATE

sk0ls
Level 42
12-14-2014

Hit 16 tonight, went like 4-2 which is the best i've done so far. using a mid range mage and liking this deck because it's got great combos and it's crafty but not such a gamble that i'm sweating out every match like i was with my priest deck i posted.
Got stomped by a mid range gvg mech priest though to end the night, prob the best deck i've played against since i started playing.

Does anyone have any good subs for sylvanas windrunner? It's a good card and i have some good stuff with it on occasion with this deck but overall i feel i'm not using it right/well so it just makes it worthless. plus my deck has been tending to keep my opponents board pretty clear so there are times when it's just outright useless as a strategic play.
LOST IN TIME

Spence
THF VIP Member
Subtract from Spence's ReputationAdd to Spence's Reputation Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Spence
12-20-2014

been getting into this game a lot the last couple days. I just got all the basic cards for every class and so I've played with every class a bit to know which ones I like and which I don't. I really like the warrior class and the cards are fun. anyone know some good websites/beginner guides/youtubers/streamers who know a fuck ton about the game and give good tips/advice on how to get better? I see myself investing A LOT of time in this game.
Scrub
Level 13
Subtract from Scrub's ReputationAdd to Scrub's Reputation Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via Skype™ to Scrub
12-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
been getting into this game a lot the last couple days. I just got all the basic cards for every class and so I've played with every class a bit to know which ones I like and which I don't. I really like the warrior class and the cards are fun. anyone know some good websites/beginner guides/youtubers/streamers who know a fuck ton about the game and give good tips/advice on how to get better? I see myself investing A LOT of time in this game.
Trump, hands down (in my experience) the best streamer/player for this kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cbVjzHsnH9PjDX

For arena

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...p-3zTAmnUUPGSj
Scrub
Level 13
Subtract from Scrub's ReputationAdd to Scrub's Reputation Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Scrub wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via Skype™ to Scrub
12-26-2014

Just got a warlock draft with 4 dread internals and 2 floating watchers, oh yes.

Edit: Went 4-3, RNG strikes again.

Last edited by Scrub; 12-26-2014 at 06:01 PM.