Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software

Display Modes Thread Tools
Doughnutty
Level 28
Subtract from Doughnutty's ReputationAdd to Doughnutty's Reputation Doughnutty is a novice
03-13-2011
Default PC won't POST or boot.

Hey guys, this morning i turned on my PC fine. Opened up firefox and starting interweb surfing when all of a sudden my PC shutoff. I turned it back on and the fans start spinning, but there's no POST or boot or anything, nothing shows up on the screen. I'm running Windows 7 professional, help please?
Hardware specs in sig.

After doing a little more experimenting, i'm starting to think the PSU may have died on me. The fans turn on, but nothing else does. The DVD drive and HDDs doesn't seem to power on and not even mobo lights are turning on.

Doesn't seem like anything is getting power except the fans. I tore out everything and left only the CPU, mobo, and PSU. Not getting any beeps at all from missing the GPU, HDDs, DVD Drive, and RAM. So I'm guessing its the mobo, CPU, or PSU.

Last edited by Doughnutty; 03-13-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
03-14-2011

Time to pull the old "go to Best Buy, purchase a PSU, test it, return it".

Elmo <3
RVideo
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from RVideo's ReputationAdd to RVideo's Reputation RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000
03-14-2011

You can always consider trying the hit-or-miss approach by swapping out components, but the next step for this kind of thing (at least what would be done on a bench) would be to use a post code card, and go from there.

Personally, I would suspect the mainboard failing before the PSU. Power supplies usually do not just *poof* out of commision unless they are hit with a voltage spike, especially if the PSU was in service for > 6 months, and you had no previous problems with it.

Remember that there are quite a few viruses that will zap your BIOS (CMOS) image, resulting in a dead mainboard.

Last edited by RVideo; 03-14-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Doughnutty
Level 28
Subtract from Doughnutty's ReputationAdd to Doughnutty's Reputation Doughnutty is a novice
03-14-2011

Thanks for the help guys, i'll do a little more testing because at this point i doubt the CPU would just fail, and i'm sure i would be getting different symptoms if it was the CPU. It's pretty much rounded down to the PSU and mobo. I will get back to you guys after i've tested the PSU on another computer.

I highly suspect the PSU at this point. I powered up the mobo with only the CPU+HSF and the PSU could barely get the HSF to spin. Unplugged everything then checked to see if the PSU could power up a single DVD drive and it couldn't do that, the PSU fan can barely spin itself too. Got a spare PSU lying around and it managed to power up the DVD drive.

Got a new PSU and it works outside the case but not inside it? I'm guessing i got a short somewhere.

Last edited by Doughnutty; 03-15-2011 at 11:17 PM.