Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014
View Poll Results: Which videos should go through to the finals?
Toasty's halo reach montage 1 - edited by Zhestal 40 32.52%
Into the tranQ" A Halo 3 Montage (100% MLG) 50 40.65%
ThumbsUp and Piano Frenzy: Electric Feel 18 14.63%
Kiko Mia - INDEPENDENZA III ( Ryōsuke ) 39 31.71%
Diesel M2 34 27.64%
FatRat M3 51 41.46%
ROOTS - B SiK 40 32.52%
Delightful Dkahre/Sachiro 30 24.39%
Immortal Part III - GP and Edit by sk0ls 47 38.21%
The Wake Up - LocaL 35 28.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
01-27-2015

Ill think on it a bit more but probably toasty and diesel, best videos that were daring, creative and great in everything they set out to do.

and thats reach so takd that srsly
roots is my personal favorite tho

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late

Last edited by slater ohm; 01-27-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Marksman
Obedience
Subtract from Marksman's ReputationAdd to Marksman's Reputation Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000
01-28-2015

When "The Wake Up" came out on new years I was so fucking pumped about it. I had no idea it was coming, and when I saw that it was 15+ minutes of LocaL's supreme work I almost couldn't contain myself. Unfortunately, it was 4-5 am at the time I noticed it, and I was heading to bed, and my girlfriend wouldn't let me watch it until the next morning.

When I woke up, the first thing I did was watch it, because I was sooo excited about it. Man, when I actually watched it I was so disappointed. Maybe I had expected too much? It just didn't feel right, and that's mainly because LocaL did not have time to finish it.
By that I mean actually finishing what he started, what he wanted to create. The video is out, and it's in the competition, but it is not finished. It's a very rough gem that needs a lot more polishing for it to be worth what it was intended to be worth.
It's really hard for me to be this harsh against it, but I can't just let it slide when I know what it could have been.

You can easily tell what happened if you pay attention to the video. In the very first clip, on The Pit, you see a hint of what the video was suppose to have. There's some cool effects incorporated into the angle work, but after the next clip on Rat's Nest it stops. From there on it's all angles, and minimal effects. I think it's because he wanted to make it all like the start of the video, but for that he realized he needed A LOT more time. He wanted to finish it in time for the competition, so he couldn't keep that aspect up, as it is way too demanding.

Now onto the flow. It is butchered throughout the video, mostly because of the amount of creative angles he wanted to use.
I often find myself in a situation I think LocaL was pinned in, and that is when you have so many cool angles captured for a single clip that you want to use them all. It's hard to let them go and know that you won't ever use them, but it has to happen to let the viewers appreciate them. He didn't. He used them all.
I feel like the sheer amount of creativity LocaL was striving for watered itself out. If he had used a few average or normal angles here and there, he would have let the spotlight shine even brighter on the innovative and creative ones, because it's hard to take it all in when everything in the video is fighting against itself.

Also, every song ends with a slow(or fast) pan in theater into a simple crossfade to blackness. And then the next song starts. The lack of actual transitions between the songs makes it hard for me to see it as one entity, it's easier to think of it as 4 separate montages. Every song ends the exact same way, despite how different they are from each other. It's lazyness, or simply lack of time. Either way, it's not good for the video.

The intro is obviously thrown together in a hurry, because it's a blur of angles that weren't used in the actual video, all on top of each other. The font used for "The Wake Up" text is painfully bland and boring. Compare it to how the first song enters the stage and the entire intro is immediately put to shame.

The outro is the same way for me, it's 45 seconds of still images, some with a layer put on top of them to look cartoonish. I don't fucking know, but it wasn't fun to watch. It was a bore, and it dragged on for longer than it should have. The very least he could have done was make the still images more dynamic, make the effects actually change, or use something else than plain still images.

This post is probably sooo fucking long by now, and I don't know what else to point out. It is sour for me to have to judge LocaL's latest creation so harshly, because I am a huge fan of his work. I know he can do better, and he could have made "The Wake Up" what it was meant to be if he didn't rush it in time for the deadline.

[1/2/15]

Last edited by Marksman; 01-28-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Marksman
Obedience
Subtract from Marksman's ReputationAdd to Marksman's Reputation Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000 Marksman IS OVER 9000
01-28-2015

Oh, and the world map and phone sequence made me cringe more than anything. It was awkward, didn't fit whatsoever. Piano's face is located in Oslo for whatever reason, at the boober of the entire penis that is Norway, when he actually lives in the middle of the ballsack, way up in the north. I feel like he would have pointed it out if he had seen a render of it before the release, which implies LocaL just went with it with nobodys permission.

[1/2/15]

Dkahre
Threshold
Subtract from Dkahre's ReputationAdd to Dkahre's Reputation Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000
Send a message via ICQ to Dkahre Send a message via Skype™ to Dkahre
01-28-2015

Well it looks like I'm not going to pass this round.

I would just like to thank Sachiro and the staff here at thf, for giving me an opportunity that I thought I could never do.
Dkahre
Threshold
Subtract from Dkahre's ReputationAdd to Dkahre's Reputation Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000
Send a message via ICQ to Dkahre Send a message via Skype™ to Dkahre
01-28-2015

Oh and if any video deserves to win is Fatrat's M3 or Diesel m2
Grif55
Valar Morgulis
Subtract from Grif55's ReputationAdd to Grif55's Reputation Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Grif55
01-28-2015
Default THFMC2014 : Semi's/Round 4 - 10 videos - 5 days [MULTIPLE OPTION POLL]

Fatty toasty delightful wake up tranQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00SEONTHEL00SE View Post
holy shit lahey, i never put it together

ive been watching trailer park boys for the last month and your avatar is jim lahey and your name is the big lahey. wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaTaNo View Post
Sometimes I wish I was white so I can embrace the neo-nazi culture. This movie was sick and these niggas put in work.

Deany
Level 14
Subtract from Deany's ReputationAdd to Deany's Reputation Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana
01-28-2015

Its getting harder and harder. Iam going with:
Toasty's halo reach montage 1 - edited by Zhestal
Into the tranQ" A Halo 3 Montage (100% MLG)
Diesel M2 -
Immortal Part III - GP and Edit by sk0ls
The Wake Up - LocaL (because of Piano Frenzy's Part)
Smithers
Level 14
Subtract from Smithers's ReputationAdd to Smithers's Reputation Smithers is bustin' chills and getting paided Smithers is bustin' chills and getting paided Smithers is bustin' chills and getting paided Smithers is bustin' chills and getting paided Smithers is bustin' chills and getting paided Smithers is bustin' chills and getting paided
01-28-2015

Roots / Immortal III
N00bSlayer
Level 12
Subtract from N00bSlayer's ReputationAdd to N00bSlayer's Reputation N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica
01-28-2015

ok, marksman, you're being a bit overly critical here. To the point where you're complaining that pianos face wasn't perfectly placed in the right region of Norway. The telephone scene wasn't forced, or awkward, it was charming and really smart. The song going back to cali starts with a phone call between Biggie and Puff. It was a brilliant transition, you just didn't understand the reference at all. The soundtrack may have not flowed, but some of the songs had really abrupt starts, like stobs' part (btw dat intro was so fucking dope with the drums n shit oh my). Also, Going Back to Cali (Part 3) was edited first, since the project was supposed to be a Dutchy leftover tage in the beginning. So your theory that the video was supposed to be like the first clip gets shot down there. The intro was hype af, I liked that idea of showing a bit of each players legacy, and only half of the intro was borrowed footage. Idk man some of the stuff you complain about aren't worth mentioning. Like the cartoonish still angles, i liked'em reminded me of Enjoy's ending. Like yo idk man, the video is over, like yo you're complaining about credits n shit. Anyway, the angle work can never be touched, Local created a style that will be hard to ever match. I think it's one of the videos that stood out the most in the contest. Only Game Over impressed as much, but in a different way.

Last edited by N00bSlayer; 01-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Piano Frenzy
Level 13
Subtract from Piano Frenzy's ReputationAdd to Piano Frenzy's Reputation Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Piano Frenzy
01-28-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bSlayer View Post
If god can do anything and everything, could he create a rock he couldn't lift?

How much is half of infinity?

If time travel were possible, and you visit a time before your grandmother had children and you killed her: How were you alive to time travel in the first place?