Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014
View Poll Results: Which videos should go through to the finals?
Toasty's halo reach montage 1 - edited by Zhestal 40 32.52%
Into the tranQ" A Halo 3 Montage (100% MLG) 50 40.65%
ThumbsUp and Piano Frenzy: Electric Feel 18 14.63%
Kiko Mia - INDEPENDENZA III ( Ryōsuke ) 39 31.71%
Diesel M2 34 27.64%
FatRat M3 51 41.46%
ROOTS - B SiK 40 32.52%
Delightful Dkahre/Sachiro 30 24.39%
Immortal Part III - GP and Edit by sk0ls 47 38.21%
The Wake Up - LocaL 35 28.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
Twoson
Add for MLG H2MC - H3MC
Subtract from Twoson's ReputationAdd to Twoson's Reputation Twoson is legendary Twoson is legendary Twoson is legendary
01-27-2015

I watched all the videos and honestly I gotta say Sk0ls had some really dirty gameplay.

Hope to see his video in the finals.

TWOSON
Tezima
Sweaty Kid
Subtract from Tezima's ReputationAdd to Tezima's Reputation Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000 Tezima IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Tezima Send a message via MSN to Tezima Send a message via Skype™ to Tezima
01-27-2015

Roots & Immortal III
LiLxHustla
Level 15
Subtract from LiLxHustla's ReputationAdd to LiLxHustla's Reputation LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000
01-27-2015

Immortal 3 and Roots

#BarelyLegal
Sucky
Level 23
Subtract from Sucky's ReputationAdd to Sucky's Reputation Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000
01-27-2015

The Wake Up, Fatrat, TranQ, Immortal, and Electric Feel

I've always made it a point to vote for Delightful in past heats, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it here. Such a great video, yet so imperfect at the same time. Just felt like it was a bunch of great gameplay, effects, and 3D work all thrown together in quite an odd fashion with an even more odd tribute at the end. The tribute to me made about as much sense as everything else in the video- well-executed and cool to watch, but no rhyme or reason as to why it's actually in there.
I realize this particular assessment of the video has been harked on enough by now probably, but i felt it was important to distinguish why what probably would have been my favorite video in the competition is unfortunately put aside due to relatively small issues that became too significant to ignore. such a shame really. still very much deserving of being here imo tho.

Anyways, won't be disappointed if it moves on, but i just felt like a video like Electric Feel-that works the music great; that has a great theme; that has editing that makes sense despite figuring out how to edit unique gameplay- had a viewing experience that didn't leave me scratching my head. I don't think ThumbsUp is the best editor in the community when you get right down to just program skill, but he definitely offers some of the most fun and enjoyable videos to watch. And at this point I'm going for what I enjoy the most.

So i went with it since Game Over isn't in here. The other ones were pretty easy for me personally.

Last edited by Sucky; 01-27-2015 at 04:00 PM.
iDiesel
Level 37
Subtract from iDiesel's ReputationAdd to iDiesel's Reputation iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to iDiesel
01-27-2015

Without getting too sappy here, I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has voted for me at any point in this competition. Coming in, I really didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if people would write off my video for being a Reach tage, or for not having much in the way of technical editing skill, or what. But making to the top 10, amongst such amazing videos, proves to me that wasn't the case. I can barely put into words what it means to get this kind of validation after spending so much time going for these clips. I really tried to make something different and get challenging and creative clips that people hadn't seen before, and maybe didnt think were possible in Reach. It's great to get recognition for that effort and to be a part of a community that appreciates it. So many thanks to everyone that has contributed to that feeling by supporting my video. Literally every vote in every heat means lot to me.

I don't know if the road ends here for my tage (looks like it well might), but if it does I'll be extremely proud just to have my name up here with the players and editors on this list, as well as all the great montages that didn't make it this far. You guys are awesome, thanks for everything.
Scace
Skc the legend - tranQ
Subtract from Scace's ReputationAdd to Scace's Reputation Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000
01-27-2015

sk0ls - Immortal Part III
tranQ - Into The tranQ
B Sik - Roots
ThumbsUp & Piano Frenzy - Electric Feel
Diesel - M2
Havey
Californication
Subtract from Havey's ReputationAdd to Havey's Reputation Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Havey
01-27-2015

Time to make my big post in this round. Its crunch time. Its going to be long...but I'm going to put my full reasoning behind everything. So read if you want...and as always, this is only my opinion.

My votes:

Fat Rat: I think personally this is some of the best gameplay in the competition. In terms of sheer "fun watchness" this is one of my tops. However, this is my number 5 pick. The gameplay was good, and the variety was there...but with that being said this gameplay is something that is extremely common in the Halo community. I will say its very fucking good...but social is just a very common thing now and luckily for FatRat, he brought some crazy good footage to the table. In terms of the editing, I always praise guys who edit their own shit, which he did and he surprisingly did extremely well. I thought there were some boo-boo's here and there and the angle usage to me wasn't done very well, but in terms of overall viewing experience and the fact that it was edited pretty well + it fit the gameplay, it goes on for me. Goodluck my dude!

Into the Tranq: This may come as a surprise to some people but this is my number 4.Though I thought this video was honestly phenomenal, I just thought in terms of editing it didn't get out there enough for me. In a big competition like this I have to see crazy creativity. And I understand the route that Goose went with the editing since he was obviously trying to showcase TranQ's ridiculous GP, but in my book, in a big comp. we need to not only see incredible gameplay, but also incredible editing and creativity. I think fundamentally this is the best edit in the entire competition. BUT I don't think that is enough to win something like this. There are a lot of editors out there that can produce a fundamentally solid edit...but its the Legacy's and Dutchy M2's that are creative enough to win competitions. PLEASE don't take this as me taking away from the edit or the video...the intro was so good. Gave me chills and there were definitely some cool moments in the edit...but overall, it just didn't give me that "Winner," nod. The GP by TranQ, as always was fucking mind blowing. Loved the competitive feel, variety and overall just pace of his footage. I totally think this deserves to be a top 5 video...goodluck to the both of you.

Immortal III: Honestly this one and TranQ's could go either way for me in terms of #3 & 4. Though that sk0ls absolutely brought it to the table with this video. The GP and how competitive the GP is just drops my jaws and I didn't start playing H2 until it honestly started dying down. But from a totally objective standpoint, it is extremely hard to argue that this video is not a top 5 or even top 3 video in this comp. I thought the edit was smooth and I thought it 100% complemented the video and the Gameplay well. I thought the pacing, syncing and subtle things he did fit this video perfect...however, I still wanted to see a bit more. These competitions are just too big to not bring in some extremely creative aspects. Though I am not dissing this video, his skill or the editing, it just was not enough for me to see it win. I did vote, its my 3rd favorite in this competition and I wish you luck my man, you made an incredible video here.

Toasty: My number 2. This and my number 1 was solid from the beginning and I know that I'm probably one of the few people who honestly believe these are the top 2 videos, but whatever. The great thing about these competitions is we all have our opinion and we never know how they will pan out. I truly can say that Zhestal is one of my favorite editors. One of my favorite today and will always be one of my all time favorite guys to watch make videos. This video is no different. I thought that from an editing stand point there was literally nothing wrong with this video. Just like TranQ's, this video is just fundamentally edited to perfection. However....the big difference for me is that this video hit a creative stride more than TranQ's...and yes, Goose had a great intro and some cool parts here and there, but Zhestal just keep it moving throughout the entire video. Not only that...but the pacing, especially with the songs were so fucking good. He never loses his timing or pacing even when the songs get fast...and when it slows down, you barely notice. I think he transitions are some of the smoothest in the game and I think his subtle editing that most people don't see add that perfect amount of flare to his edits. Toasty brings it fucking home with this gameplay. He might be the only person on Earth that can consistently give me entertaining Reach GP and not make it boring. He juts absolutely destroyed it here and though I don't personally think that it is the best GP in the comp...its 100% up there for me. Couple that with the absolutely mind blowing creativity and editing performance that Zhestal brings and you get this video. Goodluck guys...seriously.

The Wake Up: My winner. And I am already seeing people's assholes bleeding from me saying this. But if you want to actually read up on why I think so...please do. To me...when I think about these movie competitions..I think "what makes a great video?" And I seriously think that when I watch every submission. I think about that when I watch films, do logo design, do anything. Thats always my mind set. The 4 components of this movie competition are this: Editing, Gameplay, Creativity and Intro. This is not an EDITING comp and its not a best GAMEPLAY comp. Its a combination of all of the components that I just listed. Sure, TranQ's had some incredible editing and sure FatRat had crazy fucking gameplay...but no video in this competition really showcased what makes a great video that is worth a ridiculous amount of money....except this one. Lets be real...the community loves GP and I think GP carried a lot of videos to the finals. We all love seeing Halo footage and people getting absolutely fucking insane clips...but be honest with yourself...how many times do you watch a video, even if its the greatest GP you've ever seen and say "I feel like I've already seen this before?" You're lying to yourself if you don't do that. Now I'm not trying to say GP isn't a HUGE factor in my decisions or they shouldn't be a huge factor in this contest...but for me...creativity is the only thing that can't be seen twice. If a video is truly creative, it can't be duplicated. For me this video not only killed it in terms of editing fundamentals, but is easily the most creative one in the contest. The Gameplay was not the absolute best...but it was still damn solid from a group of well known names in the community. It offered player variety, map variety, gametype variety and just overall solid gameplay. The editing was so solid. You can point out some harsh cuts, yes...but in terms of pacing, syncing, flow and overall basic and advanced editing this video brings it the fuck home. Easily. It is so smooth and the song choice is creative in itself to already set it apart from the others. The way he edited this video is something you don't see on a day to day basis in Halo videos. Its just not. The angle work in this is absolutely marvelous. Its like watching a film. The effort and creativity put into the angles is astonishing to me and it made transitioning from clip to clip so fucking smooth. Then you take the creative aspect. It had 4 parts, each with its own theme, edited to its own style of song and even though he edited in different styles, he kept the overall theme and editing flow so damn consistent. That is nearly impossible to do. Yes, the angles may have taken away from some of the GP and there were some harsh cuts...but it wasn't impossible to follow...he didn't over effect footage, he didn't do that. He just took angles and made them work. In a fucking fast paced, well organized manner. The point of this competition is to bring something new and fun to the table. I don't personally think that anyone else did it like Local did. The editing and creativity alone stood out more than anyone, mix that with some dope GP and to me....you have a fucking winner.
THROWBACK REVIEW EPISODE!!
gamechallenged
Level 23
Subtract from gamechallenged's ReputationAdd to gamechallenged's Reputation gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to gamechallenged Send a message via Skype™ to gamechallenged
01-27-2015

My votes, Toasty, The Wake Up, and FatRat M3.

Reviews below (proceed with caution)

Toasty HRM1
Spoiler!

tranQ
Spoiler!

Electric Feel
Spoiler!

Ryosuke
Spoiler!

Diesel M2
I captured for this project so I've already seen everything. No comment.

FatRat H3M3
Spoiler!

Roots
I have no idea how to critique h1. No comment.

Delightful
Spoiler!

Immortal Part III
Spoiler!

The Wake Up
Spoiler!

Last edited by gamechallenged; 01-27-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Dutchy
Level Honderd
Subtract from Dutchy's ReputationAdd to Dutchy's Reputation Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Dutchy Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
01-27-2015

FatRat M3 and Toasty's M1
join the revolution.

Spoiler!
Delta Nades U
n00b (level 8)
Subtract from Delta Nades U's ReputationAdd to Delta Nades U's Reputation Delta Nades U is legendary Delta Nades U is legendary Delta Nades U is legendary
01-27-2015

Toasty's halo reach montage 1 - edited by Zhestal
Into the tranQ" A Halo 3 Montage (100% MLG)
FatRat M3
Delightful Dkahre/Sachiro
The Wake Up - LocaL

This is in no particular order. I will say I'm giving an honorable mention to Diesel's M2. I loved the gameplay so much. I just couldn't find myself to vote it in against the other 5 montages I picked.