Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014
View Poll Results: Which videos should go through to the finals?
Toasty's halo reach montage 1 - edited by Zhestal 40 32.52%
Into the tranQ" A Halo 3 Montage (100% MLG) 50 40.65%
ThumbsUp and Piano Frenzy: Electric Feel 18 14.63%
Kiko Mia - INDEPENDENZA III ( Ryōsuke ) 39 31.71%
Diesel M2 34 27.64%
FatRat M3 51 41.46%
ROOTS - B SiK 40 32.52%
Delightful Dkahre/Sachiro 30 24.39%
Immortal Part III - GP and Edit by sk0ls 47 38.21%
The Wake Up - LocaL 35 28.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
gamechallenged
Level 23
Subtract from gamechallenged's ReputationAdd to gamechallenged's Reputation gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to gamechallenged Send a message via Skype™ to gamechallenged
01-29-2015

What can I say? Montages are highlight reels, not film. They should be enjoyable in some aspect to a person even completely foreign to fps.
Wanny
Top Tier Director
Subtract from Wanny's ReputationAdd to Wanny's Reputation Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Wanny
01-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater ohm View Post
Ive seen you fanboy over FatRat m3 as the best when it isn't better, the editing is filled with generic unneeded angles and cuts up the GP. The editing in roots is super clean and subtle and show the GP really well, its pacing is also excellent. Ive watched ROOTS about 40 times by now, it works extremely well. It doesnt need to have some insanely in your face reason to be good besides that. The Second/credits song doesnt do anything for me, but the body is just class.

Also it goes both ways, people from the h3 onward era often dont appreciate h1 or h2 gp. Ive made arguments against that position a bunch now and have yet to see a good reason why h3 and/or hR ignorance or dislike is worse than h1 and/or h2 ignorance or dislike, or any other combination.

Like I said tho, I feel Toasty and Diesel are the strongest videos here. And thats Reach.
At least for me, I'm not trying to argue that FatRat's vid is artistically creative, more so, how the ones schief mentioned were. In no way can you make a stupid blatant statement like "those other videos were just the same video that has been seen time and time again". To say, TranQ, Toasty, Electric Feel, Fatrat, Delightful are all the same video that many others have made time and time again. Is really disrespectful and false. All of these videos in this round are great. Am I disappointed some videos aren't in this round instead of others, sure. But to point out that some of these videos are just the "same ol same ol" is a joke.
Oxfire
Level 41
Subtract from Oxfire's ReputationAdd to Oxfire's Reputation Oxfire wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Oxfire wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Oxfire wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Oxfire wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Oxfire wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
01-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Roots in a nutshell for me: 2 months worth of above average gameplay on which he sat for like 7 years. Supported with sub-par editing and generic soundtracks. Don't get me wrong I really like that video (and I like B Sik as well) but it should've been out of this comp for a while now imho. What else does that video have besides the ability to momentarily throw players back to the H1 era with an overload of nostalgia? I'm legitimately wondering, please enlighten me.
Used to have some serious respect for you, all that has faded away after reading this completely moronic and assumptive post. Average gameplay? Have you ever played H1 on XBC? Go try that really quick and let me know what gameplay you come up with. It is the most challenging environment to be able to excel in, including every MLG playlist ever released.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
01-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechallenged View Post
Please can we not talk about a "clean" or "enjoyable" video in the context of it being something to strive for. Fuck safe shit, make stuff that's inspiring.

Having a clean edit just means well executed, unobtrusive, no editing that feels like it doesn't add anything.. that is something to strive for. Creativity added to that makes truly great videos. Game Over was a clean video for the most part because the ideas made the video cool as fuck and were almost all well done and the vid still had good pacing and clip presentation.
Which is why it's top 10 for me.

Diesel went no clip cuts and build-up in GP and Zhestal went pretty HAM and they still managed to make an insanely well functioning, exciting, watchable videos.
Zhestal used a lot of speed instead of clip cutting, which usually bugs as well me but he did it really well. Also he used some generic angles but mostly as clip transitions not too much inside clips and it just worked. fade out-fade in in between a song kinda bugged me tho

Im still not decided tho, I love how HAM Sachiro went with the 3D and some of the in-clip stuff was also just so cool.. but I do see its issues. tranQ doesnt have enough of a separate identity for me, but the editing is really well executed and I rather enjoyed the GP eventho I cant recall many singular clips.
Need to rewatch i3 again, really like kiko's as well but not convinced on it. Wake-up is still super impressive but too much gp distortion to be a nice watch.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late

Last edited by slater ohm; 01-29-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Hyena
Lightning Sniper
Subtract from Hyena's ReputationAdd to Hyena's Reputation Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000
01-29-2015

I hate this place sometimes
Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
01-29-2015

Went with tranq, fatrat, kiko, and b sik. Those are the top tier videos imo. No idea how I'm going to choose in the finals though.
Dutchy
Level Honderd
Subtract from Dutchy's ReputationAdd to Dutchy's Reputation Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Dutchy Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
01-29-2015

Quote:
Ive seen you fanboy over FatRat m3 as the best
don't see how this is relevant to my post. neither have I been ''fanboying'', what a weird thing for you to say, slater.

Quote:
Also it goes both ways, people from the h3 onward era often dont appreciate h1 or h2 gp.
I rarely see that happen. Which is why I made my point. Maybe I'm not seeing it, who knows?
join the revolution.

Spoiler!
gamechallenged
Level 23
Subtract from gamechallenged's ReputationAdd to gamechallenged's Reputation gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000 gamechallenged IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to gamechallenged Send a message via Skype™ to gamechallenged
01-29-2015

Quote:
Having a clean edit just means well executed, unobtrusive, no editing that feels like it doesn't add anything.. that is something to strive for. Creativity added to that makes truly great videos.
My issue is that by strive for I mean that that is a stopping point. Of course I don't mean that people should make a video that's a total mess, but it frustrates me more to see a super clean video that didn't even try to be more than that. I'd prefer something kind of all over the place just trying stuff than something not even attempting to have artistic quality.

Last edited by gamechallenged; 01-29-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Dutchy
Level Honderd
Subtract from Dutchy's ReputationAdd to Dutchy's Reputation Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000 Dutchy IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Dutchy Send a message via MSN to Dutchy
01-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfire View Post
Used to have some serious respect for you, all that has faded away after reading this completely moronic and assumptive post. Average gameplay? Have you ever played H1 on XBC? Go try that really quick and let me know what gameplay you come up with. It is the most challenging environment to be able to excel in, including every MLG playlist ever released.
Oh I believe you. And I'll admit that I'm not the best guy to critique Halo 1 gameplay. Above average maybe was a weird statement, although I can't see how that's a bad thing.

Too bad all your respect for me vanished all of sudden. Quite weird too.
join the revolution.

Spoiler!
Sucky
Level 23
Subtract from Sucky's ReputationAdd to Sucky's Reputation Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000 Sucky IS OVER 9000
01-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfire View Post
I'm willing to consider myself a naive viewer of h1 videos. I've only played the game about 8 times at a friend's house, and although i've watched a fair amount of h1 videos, my judgement of the clips is very skewed.

But can 2 months-worth of gameplay really be so damn good that it beats out every video in the competition? I'm asking that genuinely out of curiosity btw, because i honestly do not know.

To a certain degree, I have been voting out of ignorance bias the entire competition. I took the time to look up some h1 videos after watching Roots just to identify any key differences, but it was difficult for me to distinguish just how much better this particular video was.

With every other halo, I can distinguish that pretty clearly to the best of my ability. At this point, I vote for what i enjoy the most. And if everyone takes that same approach, there will always be a noticeable bias because everyone enjoys different games and everyone took pleasure in their own unique era of gaming. This should go without saying i think.

But by all means, I would be happy to hear an explanation why Roots is one of the best h1 videos ever created using only 2 months-worth of gameplay, or why it has better gameplay than Fatrat and Diesel, who had been gathering their clips for quite awhile for that matter. Tell me how the marginal amount of editing is somehow better than what Zhestal did or what Game Over entails. I am completely open to an answer.