Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014

Display Modes Thread Tools
Chubbymax
Level 24
Subtract from Chubbymax's ReputationAdd to Chubbymax's Reputation Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000 Chubbymax IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Chubbymax
01-18-2015

I was expecting good editing in this montage. I lol'd right off the bat when I saw that Sillygoose was the editor. Your editing is still so bad after all these years, it's like the generic food you see on the shelf at wal mart that nobody buys besides poor people and mexicans.

Terrible.
RIP Elmo
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
01-18-2015

Someone step on ur dick inxy? Chill

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
tranQ
Level 31
Subtract from tranQ's ReputationAdd to tranQ's Reputation tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tranQ
01-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omn1science View Post
So I woke up early to drive to school the day this was dropped, and as I had to be back early I couldn't watch it until after a 5 hour drive. I have always been a huge Silly fan (Makowski is easily in my top 3 Reach videos) and given the fact that tranQ is tranQ, to say I was hyped when I finally got to sit down and watch this is a huge understatement.

The reason I've decided to wait until now to post anything is because I wanted to really give this video time to sit with me and give it a chance before I said anything.

First off I'll say the intro was obviously fucking awesome. 3D wasn't Atie level or anything but whatever, it was fantastic and one of the best intros I've seen in a while.

With such a creative intro, I certainly didn't expect the rest of the video to go the way it did. As much as I hate to say it, after the intro there was just a total lack of anything really interesting in terms of the editing. Where's the insanity of Makowski's second song? Where's your ridiculously creative angles? Where's Sandman announcing his power level and jumping out of Sanct? There were some cool transitions but nothing insane either. Nothing like what Zhestal or MK did in their entries. I just felt like almost every piece of editing work, be it effects or angles or whatever, was something someone else had already done, albeit more clean/just slightly better. The whole video just felt so so generic to me. Maybe its just me, but I've already seen approximately a billion H3 MLG tages, given that the game has been out something like 8 years at this point. I really believe that both editors and players, but especially editors, have a responsibility to make their videos different. At this point if you're working with H3 you're working with a game that has been played to death and edited to death, and at least for me personally it just doesn't cut it to watch "clean" videos anymore. Maybe that is just me, but I really think the future of Halo editing lies in creativity.

It was especially heartbreaking given that we all know tranQ streams a ton and must have tons of epic reactions to his clips. There was so much potential here to make a unique and inspired video.

On top of that, thestrangestick really hit the nail on the head when he talked about the pace. Insane clips like the stick exterm on Heretic, the killtac on Construct, etc were all pulled into and out of my face so quickly that none of it really registered. A huge part of editing is to uplift and highlight the nastiest clips in the video, not to breeze by them. When the crazy clips are placed right next to the fillers doubles and moved through at exactly the same pace, its really a struggle to actually pull anything about the quality of the gameplay out of the video. Watching the video by tranQ included in the download really shows the truth of this. Just as an example when I watched the clip where there's a flag glitch beatdown for the overkill on Pit in Silly's video, my thought process was just sort of "seriously, a beat down overkill? What is this?". Watching it in tranQs vid I realized "oh shit, he must have either predicted the spawn or got a call out and had the presence of mind to flag glitch the guy because that's likely the only way he could snag the over". I think especially with this kind of gameplay where a lot of it is not necessarily hugely flashy because you're playing kids hooked up to a machine that harvests their sweat in order to fuel their Xboxes, if its pulled away from me so fast I can't see the thought process that makes the gameplay so smart and good it just comes across as boring.

Speaking of the gameplay, this video really should have been at bare minimum one song shorter. It really seemed like there was a ton of filler clips throughout this video. Why wouldn't you just cut that out and make every clip in the video something worth watching? Your standards could have been so so so much higher. Again I'm probably a victim of overhype here but after watching FatRat grab the standards for social gameplay in H3 and throw them right in my fucking face like it was some kind of joke that those standards even existed, I was really hoping tranQ would do the same for competitive gameplay. The gameplay was obviously extremely good, but it really didn't blow me away in the same way Fatrat's video did.

One thing I will say though is that if the pacing had been better I would say that this video would probably be the most technically perfect video ever produced. Although I just knocked you earlier for focusing on "clean" effects and editing, what you did do you did to perfection. So huge props for that, obviously.

As I usually say when I write something negative, I hope I didn't come off as too much of a twat. Both you guys obviously created a great video, it just didn't appeal to me personally.
No worries at all, I don't mind it at all. Only thing I want to do is defend Sillygoose, as I put him in the situation of wanting an overall clean finish on the video, blending a mix of the newer style and the oldschool style of generic MLG tages that were so0o0o0o cool back in the day.

Kind of suffocated some of his creativity and ideas for the most part, which is completely my fault.

Gameplay has VERY little filler btw, just harder to make out the quality of the clips when the pace was so fast. It's understandable though, no worries at all. Thanks for taking the time to write all that stuff out, shame you didn't enjoy it thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbymax View Post
I was expecting good editing in this montage. I lol'd right off the bat when I saw that Sillygoose was the editor. Your editing is still so bad after all these years, it's like the generic food you see on the shelf at wal mart that nobody buys besides poor people and mexicans.

Terrible.
Welp, that's a shame.
JoshNgton
THF VIP Member
Subtract from JoshNgton's ReputationAdd to JoshNgton's Reputation JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to JoshNgton
01-18-2015

Rewatching it and just realised how skimmed over that sick quake rocket clip on narrows...that could have fit in way better in the 2nd song where for some reason the clips shown in full were pretty meh br overkills ...and apart from the 3d made there is basically no buildup and dramatisation on some of the better clips ...still really enjoy it but I saw the rocket clip live and it was much more exciting.
Element
Level 37
Subtract from Element's ReputationAdd to Element's Reputation Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Element
01-30-2015

Mcgee is gay and needs a download link for this.

The one in OP is down.

tranQ
Level 31
Subtract from tranQ's ReputationAdd to tranQ's Reputation tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tranQ
01-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Mcgee is gay and needs a download link for this.

The one in OP is down.
https://mega.co.nz/#!6EZg0RQT!5dcDnm...Oi_cWbwghfXZDk

Again, if a mod could update the OP, that'd be lovely.