Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software

Display Modes Thread Tools
Premium
I'm kind of a big deal
Subtract from Premium's ReputationAdd to Premium's Reputation Premium is legendary Premium is legendary Premium is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Premium
01-25-2008
Default Need some extra hard drive space? Click here (Windows Vista)

By default, Windows allocates a good chunk of your hard drive to the system restore. In Windows XP it's 12%, and in Vista it's 15%. That's a lot of space, considering the average hard drive is around 300-500GB these days.

You can adjust that setting however. In Windows XP, simply right click on 'my computer' and go to 'properties'. Click the 'system restore' tab, and there is a slider there. Moving that, you can adjust how much space is allocated to system restore. Adjust it accordingly.

It's a little harder if you have Vista. You'll have to do it in command line. Follow these steps:

Go to your command prompt, right click, and 'run as administrator'.

In the command prompt window, to view how much space you currently have allocated to system restore, type: vssadmin list shadowstorage

I had 52GB myself...far too much. You can change it by typing: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[drive letter]: /For=[drive letter]: /Maxsize=[maximum size]

So if you want to change it to 2GB for example, you'd type: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

And voila! You'll have opened up a whole bunch of unused HD space.

Hope this helps some people.

Last edited by Premium; 03-05-2011 at 02:13 PM.
phant0mgrave
Level 28
Subtract from phant0mgrave's ReputationAdd to phant0mgrave's Reputation phant0mgrave is a novice
Send a message via AIM to phant0mgrave Send a message via MSN to phant0mgrave Send a message via Skype™ to phant0mgrave
01-25-2008

Haha yeah, I just cleaned my old System Restore backups through Disk Cleanup 2 days ago and it cleared 14GB total. Good FAQ though, I'm changing mine now.

EDIT: And I'm done, worked perfectly.

Last edited by phant0mgrave; 01-25-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Tyler
wut
Subtract from Tyler's ReputationAdd to Tyler's Reputation Tyler needs more help than Japan
01-25-2008

I free'd up 10 gigs out of my 100 gig HD wow. Thanks for the tut.

Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
01-26-2008

Thank you for posting
howd.i.do.that
Level 25
Subtract from howd.i.do.that's ReputationAdd to howd.i.do.that's Reputation howd.i.do.that is a novice
Send a message via AIM to howd.i.do.that
01-26-2008

i love you. thanks.
Crest
Premium H3F Subscriber
Subtract from Crest's ReputationAdd to Crest's Reputation Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Crest Send a message via Skype™ to Crest
01-26-2008

Is this similar to going to "Start>Control panel>System>System protection" Then unchecking your harddrive, clicking apply and ok.

?

That's what I do.

stormy
Level 38
Subtract from stormy's ReputationAdd to stormy's Reputation stormy is bustin' chills and getting paided stormy is bustin' chills and getting paided stormy is bustin' chills and getting paided stormy is bustin' chills and getting paided stormy is bustin' chills and getting paided stormy is bustin' chills and getting paided
01-26-2008

I'm gonna do this right now... : D
low strife
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from low strife's ReputationAdd to low strife's Reputation low strife is a novice
01-26-2008

Wow, I just cleared up 55GB on my R:/ and D:/ drives.... Wow.
↓↓Download all Montage Contest 2 Videos in one location!↓↓

↓↓Download a massive collection of Halo videos here!↓↓

ThaggleS
The one and only!
Subtract from ThaggleS's ReputationAdd to ThaggleS's Reputation ThaggleS is on the rise to fame ThaggleS is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to ThaggleS Send a message via Skype™ to ThaggleS
01-26-2008

This is win.

Premium > all
Premium
I'm kind of a big deal
Subtract from Premium's ReputationAdd to Premium's Reputation Premium is legendary Premium is legendary Premium is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Premium
09-18-2008

Just reinstalled Windows, and used this again, so I thought I'd bump it up.