Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
Nasty
THF VIP Member
Nasty's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,228
Subtract from Nasty's ReputationAdd to Nasty's Reputation Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield
#1
04-01-2011
Default Laptop Battery Fix?

Alright so a few months ago some f.g rat chewed my laptop charger and it no longer worked. I put some electrical tape on it, and it worked once in awhile but only if the cord was in the right position. Noticed a red X over my battery icon that said consider replacing. But it charged and held the charge quite well still, so I ignored it. Eventually the cord stopped working completely and I was forced to buy a new one. Bought a cheap $8 one on Amazon and it worked for a few weeks. Then one day I went to plug it in and it exploded on me and it shoot fire balls all over the room. Couple weeks later I gave in and bought an official HP slim charger for $80, and it works fine. Though now my battery doesn't charge at all. It's been pissing me off that I can't move with my laptop now. Have to shut it down, and move it to another room. Plus animals love to run over the cord and unplug it from the computer and I lose everything I was working on. Don't want to drop money on a battery now too, is there a fix for this that anyone knows of?

RVideo
Ask Z for $50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34,969
Subtract from RVideo's ReputationAdd to RVideo's Reputation RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000
#2
04-01-2011
Default

What exactly shot out fireballs? the charger or the battery? Remember that laptop batteries have internally dependent regulator circuitry as well as external. If either of these are shot (which they probably are), I am not even sure if a new battery is going to solve your problem.

All I can say is, sounds like you really REALLY need this

Last edited by RVideo; 04-01-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Nasty
THF VIP Member
Nasty's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,228
Subtract from Nasty's ReputationAdd to Nasty's Reputation Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield Nasty finally popped his Bubble Shield
#3
04-04-2011
Default

It was the charger. Was plugged in, and I just went to go move it to get more room and it popped and charger piece shot like 5 fireballs(in my face since I was picking it up!) and then laptop died instantly and it no longer worked.
RVideo
Ask Z for $50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34,969
Subtract from RVideo's ReputationAdd to RVideo's Reputation RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000
#4
04-04-2011
Default

The question that needs to be asked next is "did you or didnt you trip the fuse in your house?" If the answer is "yes a fuse was tripped (house AC) then you shorted the charger on the AC side of the primary transformer, in which case, the laptop probably needs a bench diagnostic to eval if its even safe to use.

If the answer is "no I never tripped a fuse" then what happened is the secondary side of the transformer (and charge regulation circuitry) created a closed state against the battery cells themselves. When this happens for a lithium ion battery that has high capacity (such as laptop batt), the electrolyte membrane will fail (and sometimes explode). This is what engineers call a 'hot cell' and it actually happens during 'stress testing' batteries for industry. You are lucky that the battery didnt blow up. Li ion batts have been known to blow steel doors off their hinges, even inches thick if you can believe it.

What you should probably do ASAP is to immediately stop using this battery, and by stop using I mean literally remove it from the laptop and dispose of it. This damaged batt is quite literally a time bomb and should be considered extremely hazardous. Even if it is not holding a charge, as long as it is connected to the laptop, the laptops power management IC will attempt to charge the battery.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off