Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Llama
Look at Clock
Subtract from Llama's ReputationAdd to Llama's Reputation Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000 Llama IS OVER 9000
09-19-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaycaleb
Most detailed description of life i've ever heard. I'm sure you are pretty secure in your religious beliefs
I choose not to care about religion. That's just me.
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
09-19-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass
I've been pondering this exact question for a long long time.

Think about it.

In Genesis, it says, On Day 1, God created.......

It starts there. Where did God come from? Personally, I believe in God, am Christian, and go to church, but I mean that is really, really confusing.
213 The revelation of the ineffable name "I AM WHO AM" contains then the truth that God alone IS. the Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, and following it the Church's Tradition, understood the divine name in this sense: God is the fullness of Being and of every perfection, without origin and without end. All creatures receive all that they are and have from him; but he alone is his very being, and he is of himself everything that he is.
straight from the vatican, or at least it's website
Catechism of the Catholic Church
Terps
Level 38
Subtract from Terps's ReputationAdd to Terps's Reputation Terps is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Terps
09-19-2006

Quote:
This is why its hard for me to accept how athiests/agnostics think. Its like they Don't understand anything to do with religion so they just turn away from it all and don't worry about where they came from or more importantly, where they will go.
Why worry away your only life on Earth? That's what I don't understand. I'm a good person and that will always be plenty for me. If God really is a good guy I'm sure he won't base someone's entrance into a particualr afterlife by the religon one was born into.
wiggl3s
Level 11
Subtract from wiggl3s's ReputationAdd to wiggl3s's Reputation wiggl3s is a novice
09-19-2006

If god is nothing and he just is, whos to say we are?
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
09-19-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggl3s
If god is nothing and he just is, whos to say we are?
what do you mean if God is nothing? God was and always will be. i dunno where you're getting this idea.
the other question raises an interesting point which i think was discussed in bishop's thread.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
09-19-2006

Quote:
IIf you don't believe in creation, then where did you come from, how were we created, how did this universe begin?
The string theory explains the origin of the universe, and consequently, the origin on the Big Bang. Unfortunately for the average joe, to comprehend the String theory in it's true glory, you've got to have a firm grasp on calculus, differential equations, multi-vector algebra, real analysis, and the like. I suppose it's POSSIBLE you could get the super basic version from somewhere, but you'd be hard pressed to understand it.

Quote:
Did our amazingly complicated body systems just evolve from a single celled organism laying on a rock 100 billion years ago?
Yes, our body did evolve from a single celled organism - I have no doubt of that. If you'd actually studied micro-biology, and even basic genetics and evolution, you would be able to see the evolutionary trend in it's most basic form. It's actually pretty cool to learn about the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass
An even better question, where'd that one celled organism come from?
It's called abiogenesis. You'd know that if you'd ever taken any high-school biology class.
PoLLisH Hammer
Level 28
Subtract from PoLLisH Hammer's ReputationAdd to PoLLisH Hammer's Reputation PoLLisH Hammer is a novice
09-20-2006

I believe in a higher power, but that doesn't mean that it actually breathed life into Adam's body and literally pulled a rib from Adam and created Eve from it. Or that serpents could talk at one point, or that humans could live upwards to 500 years. I am a spirtual person, born a Christian, but not anymore. I do not like organized religion, it only creates problems, we don't have problems as much because we are not as religious as we once were. Imagine if we were, Presbyterians killing Baptists, Baptists killing Methodists and lord i would feel bad for the Jews.
Marx said it best-
"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sign of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

Send A F/R to PoLLisH Hammer or x ShadowPlay x if you want to play anything.
Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
09-20-2006

If you religious peeps think that God created the universe, then where the hell'd God come from? He didn't just appear, because you guys seem to think that's impossible. So how do you explain his existence or origins?

SNAKES ON A PLANE
fridaycaleb
Level 28
Subtract from fridaycaleb's ReputationAdd to fridaycaleb's Reputation fridaycaleb is a novice
09-20-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormaster
actually the big bang theory makes sence, the universe started with matter and anit-matter in proportion to one and other one day matter and anti-matter crashed into each other and the result was BANG matter won and flew all over the universe cancling out the anti-matter making stars and planets and what not.

I just cant believe that there is a superior being defying the laws of physics and creating matter and engery out of thin air, it just cant happen. The universe started with an exact amount of matter and will end with the exact same amount. I dont think a superior being could create everything with such complexity in just 6 days. I think religion is just something that people make to answer questions that they cannot answer themselves like what created us and where do we go when we die. I do not know these answeres for sure but i do know that a god cannot do such things no matter how awesome and powerful he is.
Well then who created the universe, another big bang before the big bang? That doesn't explain where the universe or the matter and anti-matter came from if you believe that.

<3 you tanker
AyL ReiGN
Thowed
Subtract from AyL ReiGN's ReputationAdd to AyL ReiGN's Reputation AyL ReiGN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to AyL ReiGN
09-20-2006

Quote:
If you don't believe in creation, then where did you come from, how were we created, how did this universe begin?
Evoloution
Live half of life, and throw the rest away