Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
03-30-2009
Default Really no other place for this...

I recognize that this is not in regards to a particular religious debate or anything of that nature, however I always head to this section first when I come onto this forum, and I've always considered it a home to me.

Let me give you a brief update of my life over the past few months:

In December, I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Houghton College with two degrees: One in Adolescence Education, the other in Mathematics. I've always loved mathematics: I would consider it one of the passions of my life... Whenever I'm feeling down and out, or I just need to vent, I usually take time to work on some math because it makes me focus on something other than what I'm thinking about...

In any case, I've applied to five different Universities for a Ph.D program in Mathematics, however I've already gotten 2 rejection letters, and I'm assuming the other 3 will also be rejection letters, simply because the economy is horrible and teaching assistantships that existed last year no longer exist. Most Universities accept students on the basis of how many assistantships they have, which stinks...

At this point, I'm going to probably get my Master's degree first and foremost before moving on to a Ph.D. My odds of getting in are going to be far greater with a Master's degree as opposed to a Bachelor's.

During my time as a senior, I wrote a paper entitled "Non-Negativity of the Gamma Vector for Three Dimensional Polytopes." I have a download link available if you'd like to take a peek at what I did in it: There's a lot of cool pictures!

http://freepdfhosting.com/39e7a7d05e.pdf

Anyway, I was thinking we could perhaps "Sticky" this thread for the religion debate section and discuss what's happening in our lives at the moment. Does this sound good? Although, it will definitely be Cursed Lemon's decision!
H 2 F R e G s
Muffin Mouth
<3
Subtract from Muffin Mouth's ReputationAdd to Muffin Mouth's Reputation Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame
03-30-2009

New York! Represent!

Wrong section, dude. Home or not, it has nothing to do with religion. Or maybe it did, i read the first 2 pages and decided it was way over my head.

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-30-2009

Dude! I used morphometrics in my Masters thesis. A lot of the same principles being used.

Plus yeah, as an undergrad applying you will most likely be beaten out by anyone with a Masters degree. A MS is required for my program anyways and with like you said the lowered funding in education for the last 8 years they have been hard to get.

Did you apply for fellowships as well? That's the way to go IMO, better pay and gives you far more freedom academically.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
03-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Dude! I used morphometrics in my Masters thesis. A lot of the same principles being used.

Plus yeah, as an undergrad applying you will most likely be beaten out by anyone with a Masters degree. A MS is required for my program anyways and with like you said the lowered funding in education for the last 8 years they have been hard to get.

Did you apply for fellowships as well? That's the way to go IMO, better pay and gives you far more freedom academically.
Can you get fellowships as a graduate students for a MASTERS degree though? And when I go for a Ph.D, can you get both a fellowship and assistantship, or if you can't would you recommend going for a fellowship before an assistantship?
H 2 F R e G s
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiShoP View Post
Can you get fellowships as a graduate students for a MASTERS degree though? And when I go for a Ph.D, can you get both a fellowship and assistantship, or if you can't would you recommend going for a fellowship before an assistantship?
For my Master's I was given a teaching assistantship and the fellowship was for my PhD.

I don't know about getting a fellowship for a Masters. It is probably a bit late for starting in fall anyways. What about the school you are in now, can you tack on a Masters there?

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
03-30-2009

Lemon's not mawd anymore lols.

In May I'll graduate from Lamar University with a BA in English and a minor in philosophy. I've applied to a couple schools to pursue an MA in philosophy, but I haven't heard anything back yet and I anticipate rejections, namely because it isn't my major, my GPA is only 3.2, and my GRE scores are mediocre (I took it hung over and skipped half the math portion); I scored in the 83rd percentile on the verbal, 37th on math, and got a 5.5 on the writing portion (I don't recall the percentile).

So I'm going to stay in Beaumont for a year, probably, and read my ass off while continuing to tutor at the LU writing center (which recently moved to a bigger location in our library and is no longer sharing a room with the computer science department upstairs in the building that was once solely for English and philosophy and is now half usurped by comp. sci.). I'll probably get a job at a bookstore too, or something, to supplement my income and, if I'm lucky, keep me from having to get a forbearance or deferment on my $40k in Stafford loans.
Spoiler!
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
03-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
For my Master's I was given a teaching assistantship and the fellowship was for my PhD.

I don't know about getting a fellowship for a Masters. It is probably a bit late for starting in fall anyways. What about the school you are in now, can you tack on a Masters there?
Unfortunately, I went to a small liberal arts school that doesn't offer a masters in mathematics. I finished in December with my degree, so I'm currently working full-time right now to accrue some income to begin paying my loans off.

We'll see if there are any assistantships available. I have to contact the graduate director to see if indeed I can get anything for next year...

Ultimately, I'm not sure where I want to go for my Ph.D. It's really going to depend on what my field is going to be, in terms of a particular mathematical field. Right now I'm leaning more towards probability or combinatorics, although that might change entirely depending on the different courses I take at a masters level.

Minor in philosophy eh davo... Good luck with a Ph.D in that...

I think that in the next 10 years, all the H3F Ph.D's should get together at some point for the hell of it! That would be interesting to talk about our fields with one another, and have actual face to face debates!
H 2 F R e G s
Muffin Mouth
<3
Subtract from Muffin Mouth's ReputationAdd to Muffin Mouth's Reputation Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame
03-30-2009

Yeah, ignore the only idiot!

LOL

MarkedAchilles
03-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiShoP View Post
Unfortunately, I went to a small liberal arts school that doesn't offer a masters in mathematics. I finished in December with my degree, so I'm currently working full-time right now to accrue some income to begin paying my loans off.

We'll see if there are any assistantships available. I have to contact the graduate director to see if indeed I can get anything for next year...

Ultimately, I'm not sure where I want to go for my Ph.D. It's really going to depend on what my field is going to be, in terms of a particular mathematical field. Right now I'm leaning more towards probability or combinatorics, although that might change entirely depending on the different courses I take at a masters level.

Minor in philosophy eh davo... Good luck with a Ph.D in that...

I think that in the next 10 years, all the H3F Ph.D's should get together at some point for the hell of it! That would be interesting to talk about our fields with one another, and have actual face to face debates!
It would be weird to have a doctor's meeting. Of course it will be lonely for me for a while till you younglings catch up

Delay
Level 44
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
03-31-2009

Bishop, your paper is ridiculous, I was lost after the first page lol. I neve really made it passed trigonometry in mathematics, although I loved geometry and algebra. But those are both extremely easy haha.