Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
06-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angered
God doesn't exist. Now take your oh-so-witty-sense-of-humor and post in Complete Off-Topic.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but these two sections were not made with the intention to tell jokes. Unless you are a Jon Stewart; please stop with this nonsense.

When I enter a section that has the word debate on the title; I wish to be more informed about any situation or i'd like to add my two cents. The last thing I want to read is a blatant insult that you guys call a "joke".
OMG. Seriously, lighten up. You remind me of all the "mods".... I agree that there should be some serious debating and posting however there HAS to be some jokes thrown around here and there to keep things interesting. People come to this site to have fun, not to be all uptight and "mature." If you are so sophisticated and want to have 24/7 COMPLETELY SERIOUS debates then why THE FUCK are you on a Halo forum website!

Wow.
A man's errors are his portals of discovery. -- James Joyce
Angered
FTN
Subtract from Angered's ReputationAdd to Angered's Reputation Angered is a novice
06-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeLaTioN
OMG. Seriously, lighten up. You remind me of all the "mods".... I agree that there should be some serious debating and posting however there HAS to be some jokes thrown around here and there to keep things interesting. People come to this site to have fun, not to be all uptight and "mature." If you are so sophisticated and want to have 24/7 COMPLETELY SERIOUS debates then why THE FUCK are you on a Halo forum website!

Wow.
I guess this is what I get for posting at a website filled with 13 year olds.

Silly me! Intelligent debates aren't a trend for these kids yet.

Edit: After taking your post seriously and really reading it I can deduce that you need to lighten up! I'm quite felicitous myself. I just got back from giving my acceptance speech for my college scholarship + winning two labtops. Yea, i'm content.

How do I remind you of a mod? Ha, if I were a mod i'd be too strict for this website. You wouldn't want me to moderate anything.

I guess this debate section shouldn't be taken seriously! It makes sense to me now! This is why the most posted topic is filled with numerous amounts of obtuse rambling.

Last edited by Angered; 06-21-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
06-21-2006

Quote:
God doesn't exist. Now take your oh-so-witty-sense-of-humor and post in Complete Off-Topic.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but these two sections were not made with the intention to tell jokes. Unless you are a Jon Stewart; please stop with this nonsense.

When I enter a section that has the word debate on the title; I wish to be more informed about any situation or i'd like to add my two cents. The last thing I want to read is a blatant insult that you guys call a "joke".
Those aren't jokes. Jokes are funny We need a stickied joke/insult thread to help out the poor fools who don't seem to do either right. That'd be interesting...

As for your first statment, how can you know? It's very hard to prove that something absolutely does not exist. I have many experiances that seem to imply the opposite, and although many of those could be called coincidences, some of them pyscological anomolies, halucination, etc. Maybe I'm just crazy. One of these days I'll se a pyschologist just to prove to myself that I'm not.

Why exactly don't you believe in G_d? Seeing how people use the concept to controll the masses? Senseless violence dedicated to Him? Flawed definitions? How you were raised? Occham's Razor? It's important to recognize sources of bias. I have my fair share. Sometimes I run through my past and try to determine what things made me turn out how I have. It can help you throw off habits. For example, recently I've come into a habbit of putting my left arm behind my back sometimes, and I have no clue why, or where it came from. Maybe something from the Matrix... But I'm not sure.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Angered
FTN
Subtract from Angered's ReputationAdd to Angered's Reputation Angered is a novice
06-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725
Those aren't jokes. Jokes are funny We need a stickied joke/insult thread to help out the poor fools who don't seem to do either right. That'd be interesting...

As for your first statment, how can you know? It's very hard to prove that something absolutely does not exist. I have many experiances that seem to imply the opposite, and although many of those could be called coincidences, some of them pyscological anomolies, halucination, etc. Maybe I'm just crazy. One of these days I'll se a pyschologist just to prove to myself that I'm not.

Why exactly don't you believe in G_d? Seeing how people use the concept to controll the masses? Senseless violence dedicated to Him? Flawed definitions? How you were raised? Occham's Razor? It's important to recognize sources of bias. I have my fair share. Sometimes I run through my past and try to determine what things made me turn out how I have. It can help you throw off habits. For example, recently I've come into a habbit of putting my left arm behind my back sometimes, and I have no clue why, or where it came from. Maybe something from the Matrix... But I'm not sure.
I grew up in an all religious family. My dad is Catholic and my mother Christian. I followed their different views for over 18 years until I started to realize that I was going to believe in what I wanted to. I started to live my life the way I wanted to.

I always used to believe in God even though I never had any real reason to. I had no real devotion to any church. I only believed in God because my parents told me he existed.

I guess you could say I started to use my head and constantly think and debate amongst myself. I started to think about how could someone who is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient let others fall to the wrong religion or never hear of the right one even though we are supposed to have free will?

There is a huge contridiction here and i've had no real answer other than a preacher telling me that anyone who didn't follow this religion (or ones closely related) would burn in hell. How "all forgiving" is that? And who is to say which religion is more correct than the other?

How can God say there is free will when is obviously does NOT apply to everyone?

It makes so much more sense to think about the fact that God was simply invented soley for the purpose to answer what science couldn't at the time.

Think about it. Humans used to believe in the Sun, Water, and Moon Gods. Science has answered the way the sun and moon works, and the way the water flows. We've grown apart from these Gods and moved to another. Guess what? We will grow apart from this God that you worship as well; it's just a matter of time before science will answer how the universe and first forms of life started.

I used to pray everyday. I wanted to hear someone; even a sign. What makes you so special that God would talk to you or come into your life even as a hallucination?

You may come back and responde with "have faith"; makes me think though. Have faith in what? The 2000 year old writings of an 8000 year old invention?

I'm just curious as to why you type God as G_d also. Shouldn't you embrace you religion? Be proud of what you believe in and show it; type out God in its entirety.

Last edited by Angered; 06-21-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
06-21-2006

Quote:
I grew up in an all religious family. My dad is Catholic and my mother Christian. I followed their different views for over 18 years until I started to realize that I was going to believe in what I wanted to. I started to live my life the way I wanted to.

I always used to believe in God even though I never had any real reason to. I had no real devotion to any church. I only believed in God because my parents told me he existed.

I guess you could say I started to use my head and constantly think and debate amongst myself. I started to think about how could someone who is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient let others fall to the wrong religion or never hear of the right one even though we are supposed to have free will?

There is a huge contridiction here and i've had no real answer other than a preacher telling me that anyone who didn't follow this religion (or ones closely related) would burn in hell. How "all forgiving" is that? And who is to say which religion is more correct than the other?

How can God say there is free will when is obviously does NOT apply to everyone?

It makes so much more sense to think about the fact that God was simply invented soley for the purpose to answer what science couldn't at the time.

Think about it. Humans used to believe in the Sun, Water, and Moon Gods. Science has answered the way the sun and moon works, and the way the water flows. We've grown apart from these Gods and moved to another. Guess what? We will grow apart from this God that you worship as well; it's just a matter of time before science will answer how the universe and first forms of life started.

I used to pray everyday. I wanted to hear someone; even a sign. What makes you so special that God would talk to you or come into your life even as a hallucination?
That's very similar to the reason that my belief in G_d wavers with time. It tends to decrease untill I have some unexpected event that seems to lead me back to it. As for why me, I honestly wish I knew. It's a major reason for wondering if I make this stuff up and somehow trick myself into thinking it actually happened. We have a natural tendancy to ignore the weird, or try to explain it away. (Hitchhiker's Guide's SEP field, anyone?)

Ironically, when I typing this, I glanced up and saw "You last visited: 41 Minutes Ago". It seems to have become a recurring motif. No amount of 41's, no matter how ironically placed, can ever be seen as proof, yet, almost without fail, it shows up at the most opportune moment. Like an inside joke of sorts. Seriously. During the All-State chorus rehearsals/performance this year, I told the person I was rooming with about it. He didn't believe it, as he shouldn't. After that, I saw it almost every time I checked a digital clock, without fail. It was on the sign we walked past. The person before me in a line for Sbarros (Pizza place in mall food courts) left their receipt. I looked at it, and it was receipt #41. I glanced at my watch, and it was something:41. It was to the point of being cliche. Even to him.
Quote:
You may come back and responde with "have faith"; makes me think though. Have faith in what? The 2000 year old writings of an 8000 year old invention?
Nah, cuz. Blind faith is for the fools. Doubt is where it's at. It's one of the reasons I've stuck with Judaism. It values education and questioning things. Always question your surroundings. Unless your surroundings involve you being on fire. Then you can act first and ask questions later.
Quote:
I'm just curious as to why you type God as G_d also. Shouldn't you embrace you religion? Be proud of what you believe in and show it; type out God in its entirety.
Jewish tradition type stuff. Probably entirely irelevant for online-type stuff, especially considering that it's a translation and all, but whatever... It's a tradition that doesn't really interfere with anything, and it exercises my pinky because of how I type underscore. I didn't just spontanesously make up that last reason

Last edited by Froggy618157725; 06-21-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Angered
FTN
06-21-2006

Quote:
Nah, cuz. Blind faith is for the fools. Doubt is where it's at. It's one of the reasons I've stuck with Judaism. It values education and questioning things. Always question your surroundings. Unless your surroundings involve you being on fire. Then you can act first and ask questions later.
Were either one of your parents Jewish? I've never heard of anyone changing religions from, eh, lets say Christianity or Catholicism to Judaism.

Just another question strucken from curiosity...

Quote:
Jewish tradition type stuff. Probably entirely irelevant for online-type stuff, especially considering that it's a translation and all, but whatever... It's a tradition that doesn't really interfere with anything, and it exercises my pinky because of how I type underscore. I didn't just spontanesously make up that last reason
I can admit that i've never heard of that before; really interesting to me.
So in all of your writings you take out the letter "O" in God?

Is there a certain reason besides translation that you would do that?

Also, I think you are just in the midst of coincidence. Seeing random 41's may seem like a fluke to you, but in no way would i have announced belief in God from seeing that.

Last edited by Angered; 06-21-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
06-21-2006

Quote:
Were either one of your parents Jewish? I've never heard of anyone changing religions from, eh, lets say Christianity or Catholicism to Judaism.

Just another question strucken from curiosity...
My dad is Jewish, but at one point in my life when I was very young, I was taken to some church somewhere somewhat regularly. But shortly after that, I was taken to Shabot services at a temple instead. I don't really remember when that transition was. Somewhere inbetween 4 and 7, I think. It was a long time ago, and I don't remember much from it. I don't know if I would've converted to Judaism if I was raised by a Christian family. Judaism matches my views better than Christianity does. I've had a lot of thoughts on how things shoud be that I later found out were teachings of Judaism, so that's a major reason for staying with it.
Quote:
I can admit that i've never heard of that before; really interesting to me.
So in all of your writings you take out the letter "O" in God?

Is there a certain reason besides translation that you would do that?
It's out of respect. When you write out the name of G_d, you aren't supposed to just throw it away. When a scribe is making a copy of a Torah, and they make a mistake in writing it, it's a big hassle getting it out propperly. It's a lot easier to avoid by not writing it out. There are very compelling arguements about how following it in English is entirely unnecesary, but oh well.
I guess it's a tradition that spawned out of convenience, or laziness. One of those.
Quote:
Also, I think you are just in the midst of coincidence. Seeing random 41's may seem like a fluke to you, but in no way would i have announced belief in God from seeing that.
Yeah. It's not the 41's as much as the story behind it, and the several other similar stories, and strings of coincidences all leading into eachother. Everyone likes a good conspiracy story...

I also don't believe in randomness. I don't think I can. The closest to random that I can imagine is comparing two things that have no direct or apparent relationship.

cheesegrady87
Level 11
Subtract from cheesegrady87's ReputationAdd to cheesegrady87's Reputation cheesegrady87 is a novice
06-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leh Jend Air E
Everytime that I post something on this site..

I always get shit for my signature

...The Athiest Thing...

People always tell me to go read the bible..Because they think if they tell me something low like that..To Joke my religion..or lack of religion..that they feel good about themselves..

But they call me an idiot?

When they are the little babies that have to pray to a higher power..that they don't even know exists..

I'm the little bitch that needs to read the bible when they are little kids that believe what ever story their parents feed them..

You and I both know that there isn't proof of there being a God or a Devil or a Heaven or a Hell..And there never will be
The truly sad thing about this post is the amount of anger I see in it. You seem to be really angry about religion, angry about Christiany... anger.

You feel as though you have been discriminated against, or looked down upon by bible thumpin' Christians. If any Christian has treated you as such, I apologize for that. But the tragic thing about your post is not that you try to be the bigger man, and rise above discrimination, but instead, you've chosen to do the same thing back towards Christianity. Please don't classify all Christians as condescending jerks, certainly some of us are, but not all.

As far as the song goes:

That little piece about priests was yet another terrible form of generalization, and another way of trashing religion. I honestly hope you don't believe that about priests.

Quote:
except that I should be a celibate twit who cries like a #####
to a timeless spirit everytime that I'm fearing some ####
the entire idea of religion's been queer since it was twisted
to it's limit, now it's a just mere hindrance
Freud said that religion was just wishful thinking. He said that man was just hoping God existed for his own comfort.

Freud, however, did not realize that he was criticizing the very thing that he was. A man can be equally hopeful that God does not exist... a hope that I get the feeling you have. Freud was also wrong about the "comfort" part. Living as a Christian, especially in our secular society, is by no means comforting. In fact, I would argue that in today's culture, the comforting thing is to run away from any absolute moral truth and give into secular pleasure.

I also see some problems with the title of the post: "convince me." I don't know you personally, but from what I've read in your post, you are absolutely determined to not be convinced. Keep an open mind, man. Give God a chance... he'll be there waiting for you.
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes."
-Pope John Paul II

Last edited by cheesegrady87; 06-22-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Angered
FTN
06-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegrady87
I would argue that in today's culture, the comforting thing is to run away from any absolute moral truth and give into secular
pleasure.
I would disagree. Seeing how most of the population believes in some sort of God; it would be easier to join in to be accepted; to be apart of a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegrady87
I also see some problems with the title of the post: "convince me." I don't know you personally, but from what I've read in your post, you are absolutely determined to not be convinced. Keep an open mind, man. Give God a chance... he'll be there waiting for you.
Will he be waiting in Purgatory, or will he be waiting in front of the gates into heaven? He's going to lose a lot more people if the only way we get any sort of interaction from him is after death.
Cold Achilles
Level 19
Subtract from Cold Achilles's ReputationAdd to Cold Achilles's Reputation Cold Achilles is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Cold Achilles
07-02-2006

yeah there is proof. on Mt. Arrarat or however it's spelled. there is pictures that there is an extremely old boat high on the mountain.

how could someone get the boat up there.

and if your wondering how that connects to god, ever head of the story called Noah's Ark?
iSupremacyX