Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
B L A Q J A Q
Level 28
Subtract from B L A Q J A Q's ReputationAdd to B L A Q J A Q's Reputation B L A Q J A Q is a novice
Send a message via AIM to B L A Q J A Q
06-02-2007
Default Religion Debate OMG

I find it hard to understand how an educated human being can belive in God or any religion in particular.

1) Its rediculously farfetch'd to think that an all powerful being exists that created an entire universe for us to worship him in.

2) Why would God or any other Mythical being create the universe and or the human race? So we can live for 80 or so years to decide weither we're worthy to live with him in heaven?

3) Why would he create an entire unimaginably large universe, to place us all on earth?

4) I dont know much of the bible, but i believe God punished us for trying to build a ladder into heaven. Why hasn't he punished us for sending men into outer space?

You have to be an ignorant nut to belive in God. Unless you were raised in a religious enviroment there is no excuse except fear. People believe in God because they want him to exist, because the want to do something after they die, not just rot in the ground.

Religion is Denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyKaNe View Post
I see your point but i would like to believe i was placed on earth for a purpose not some random chance and live and die for no purpose with nothing afterwards id hate to think like that and im glad i dont.
I agree, and i wish i did belive in a specific religion or god, but i dont, and im too 'smart' if you will, to belive in something like that now. I fear death on a daily basis. I'd rather believe in heaven than know that im gonna rot for eternity.

Education is a Curse.
Trademark Gamers
Tsquared
Fonzi
Foulacy
Zyos

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.

Last edited by B L A Q J A Q; 06-02-2007 at 06:04 PM.
low strife
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from low strife's ReputationAdd to low strife's Reputation low strife is a novice
06-02-2007

Im open to the idea of religon but im not entirely convinced by it.

Untill you show ME a sign...
↓↓Download all Montage Contest 2 Videos in one location!↓↓

↓↓Download a massive collection of Halo videos here!↓↓

SyKaNe
Level 35
Subtract from SyKaNe's ReputationAdd to SyKaNe's Reputation SyKaNe is a novice
06-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by B L A Q J A Q View Post
[B]
3) Why would he create an entire unimaginably large universe, to place us all on earth?
So we can see it and say wow theres no way this could have happened by random chance.
DECLINE OF CIVILIZATION

low strife
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from low strife's ReputationAdd to low strife's Reputation low strife is a novice
06-02-2007

Religon was desined to provide a reason for everything we didnt understand.

2000 BC, do you know everything about the world? No. Tehn you might make a suerpowerfull being that makes everything happen...

Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
06-02-2007

Quote:
I find it hard to understand how an educated human being can belive in God or any religion in particular.

1) Its rediculously farfetch'd to think that an all powerful being exists that created an entire universe for us to worship him in.
As I said before, I think it's rather ridiculous that anything exists at all. Strangeness or rarity don't really matter at this point, though. We're here, so we'll just have to deal with it.
Quote:
2) Why would God or any other Mythical being create the universe and or the human race? So we can live for 80 or so years to decide weither we're worthy to live with him in heaven?
I dunno. I've never found myself in that situation. Anything I could think of would, naturally, revolve on my own needs or desires, which may not quite survive the translation to the source of all of existence. A source of entertainment? The best epic of all time? (competing against all the sub-epic tales told by the inhabitants) I dunno.
Quote:
I dunno. We might not be all that's out there, or perhaps there needed to be more space for any of a number of reasons. I dunno.
Quote:
4) I dont know much of the bible, but i believe God punished us for trying to build a ladder into heaven. Why hasn't he punished us for sending men into outer space?
Assuming that story to be true, there were several reasons, among which were a whole lot of arrogance, and a disregard for human life in the name of success. Nowadays, it's about exploration to learn of the mysteries of the universe, and we put safety first.
Quote:
You have to be an ignorant nut to belive in God. Unless you were raised in a religious enviroment there is no excuse except fear. People believe in God because they want him to exist, because the want to do something after they die, not just rot in the ground.

Religion is Denial.
I'm not gunna copy/paste my last response to this, but I believe myself to be a fairly logical and reasoning person. I certainly don't believe out of fear, either. I've just happened to have about almost a decade's worth of subtle clues and nudges, all the way to practically having the guy wave at me. It's been very well structured, seems to have had specific goals, and has alluded very strongly to some not too future event, which I think will be in about 5 years (based on one interpretation of the final stage of a repeating dream, from which the other two segments have already happened). If the past year's worth of strange events hadn't been set up to show me that I'm not just imagining it, I'd probably think I'm crazy. I still have no clue why it's just me, though.
Quote:
I agree, and i wish i did belive in a specific religion or god, but i dont, and im too 'smart' if you will, to belive in something like that now. I fear death on a daily basis. I'd rather believe in heaven than know that im gonna rot for eternity.

Education is a Curse.
I wouldn't want to believe in something just for peace of mind. You can get that more directly. The mind has quite a lot of control over that, if you can give that control to yourself. Meditation ftw.

Knowledge is a blessing and a curse. We could easily destroy ourselves with our current technology, but we could avoid that, and maybe even fix the world.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar

Last edited by Froggy618157725; 06-02-2007 at 06:31 PM.
B L A Q J A Q
Level 28
Subtract from B L A Q J A Q's ReputationAdd to B L A Q J A Q's Reputation B L A Q J A Q is a novice
06-02-2007

the reasons i listed arent even a fraction of the things contradicting Gods existince, i.e. all the pain and suffering in the world, these are just the ones i havent heard good answers for.
Trademark Gamers
Tsquared
Fonzi
Foulacy
Zyos

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.
Steve Da Egg
Tech Support Section
Subtract from Steve Da Egg's ReputationAdd to Steve Da Egg's Reputation Steve Da Egg is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Steve Da Egg
06-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyKaNe View Post
So we can see it and say wow theres no way this could have happened by random chance.
Actually, the probability is not that far fetched.
low strife
Ask Z for $50
06-02-2007

Quote:
the reasons i listed arent even a fraction of the things contradicting Gods existince, i.e. all the pain and suffering in the world, these are just the ones i havent heard good answers for.
Why would god let a nuke work?

Why would god let us go into space?

Why would god let us peer into the heavens?

Why would god create "drugs" and nerotoxins?

I wonder indeed.

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
06-02-2007

If you nuts wouldn't of posted in here I could of just closed this. . .

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
B L A Q J A Q
Level 28
06-02-2007

Sorry Achilles, i was looking in the normal debate section and was suprised to see very few religous debates. so i posted this, then i realized there was an entire section for this. My bad.
Trademark Gamers
Tsquared
Fonzi
Foulacy
Zyos

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.