Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-04-2005
Default Premarital Sex

I am starting this thread for the purpose of debating whether premarital sex is good or bad, and the people I'm looking to argue with are ideally Christians, but can be of any religious faith that discourages premarital sex or of no faith at all. This argument is really between sex with someone you don't love (solely for pleasure) and sex with someone you do love (pleasure, procreation, and the emotional connection), because in our society, marriage is the logical extension of love.

In my humble opinion, premarital sex is in no way wrong or impure, as long as the participating parties are mature enough to go about it in a responsible manner. To me, the pleasure of sex (whether in marriage or not) is one of life's perks. I can see how having sex with someone you truly love would amplify the experience as a whole in the sense that there is a deep emotional connection not present with sex just for pleasure, but that in itself doesn't mean sex for pleasure is bad. Here's an analogy for how I look at it: hot chocolate with marshmellows is rockin' awesome, and hot chocolate without marshmellows isn't quite as good, but it's still pretty sweet. Just because it's better with marshmellows doesn't mean I'm not going to make hot chocolate if I run out of marshmellows.

Waiting until marriage for sex will not amplify the pleasure. If anything, it'll decrease the pleasure for the girl. This is because you're not going to know much about it. Sure, it can be as good for the guy as if he hadn't waited, but that's because it's easy for guys to climax. It might seem really good if it's his first time, but that's not an argument for waiting. He could just do it before marriage and it would seem just as pleasurable then. And on the other hand, waiting will probably decrease the pleasure for the girl. You've got to work for it with the ladies, and if the guy doesn't know what he's doing, it's actually going to suck for the girl. Maybe the girl will think it's good because she's never had good sex to compare it to, but she will realize later in life that it was crappy. They'd have been better off on their honeymoon if they'd learned how to do it sooner. I agree that there will be an emotional connection that couldn't have been experienced before love, but having premarital sex wouldn't ruin that connection for when you do get married. People who have premarital sex and then get married later to someone else aren't missing that connection.

An argument I often hear is that premarital sex is bad because sex was originally designed for procreation. Sex for pleasure isn't about making babies, so it's using it in a way other than what was originally intended. But using something in a way other than what was originally intended is not inherently bad. If you use a hammer as a paper weight, you're not acting immorally.

What problems does anybody have with my arguments so far?

Edit: Casual sex is that which is practiced responsibly, not with a person you love, but with someone you trust (assumed that you're in a position to make that judgment). It's for the sake of pleasure, and in that sense is an empty gesture. But empty doesn't mean wrong. Promiscuous sex is with a person you're not in a position to trust. It's also for the sake of pleasure (or expectations, peer pressure, other shitty reasons), but it's practiced irresponsibly both physically and emotionally and is therefore wrong. Lastly, there's sex between people that love each other (assumed that both parties involved know what love really means, in which case trust is automatically present). Pleasure is certainly involved, but it's also meaningful in a unique sense as a connection between two people who are committed to each other. Sex is not inherently wrong. Like a lot of things, it's only wrong if practiced irresponsibly, and marriage, or even love, is not necessary to have sex in a responsible manner.

Last edited by The Colostomizer; 05-25-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-04-2005

Well...the whole idea of saving yourself for marriage comes directly from religion. Sooo...

Elmo <3
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-04-2005

I'm trying to show that saying premarital sex is bad doesn't make sense, even within Christianity. You can't justify that belief outside of religious beliefs, and the only way you can justify it within religion is by saying, "Well, God must have a reason for it, it's just something we can't understand because he's a higher being than us." Most Christians (at least the ones I know) believe that it makes sense that premarital sex is bad, and I'd like to change that.

Last edited by The Colostomizer; 12-13-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Fershetta
Level 35
Subtract from Fershetta's ReputationAdd to Fershetta's Reputation Fershetta is a novice
12-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer
it makes sense that premarital sense is bad
I <3 typoes.
fatkillers12
Here From Da Start
Subtract from fatkillers12's ReputationAdd to fatkillers12's Reputation fatkillers12 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to fatkillers12
12-04-2005

I Go Both Ways I Would Like Top Save Myself For Marrige But Its A Little Too Late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B e A s T
How would you go about shaving your balls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickPro
Definitely the tricky part... for me, I have my mom grab the bottom of my ball sack with her teeth while I singe the hairs off with a curling iron.
Funniest post ever by QuickPro
MikeMan27
Level 37
Subtract from MikeMan27's ReputationAdd to MikeMan27's Reputation MikeMan27 is a novice
12-21-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkillers12
I Go Both Ways
LOL. I know it's on topic, but this is about sex and someone had to quote him...just sounded funny to me.
Sir Lagzalot
Level 29
Subtract from Sir Lagzalot's ReputationAdd to Sir Lagzalot's Reputation Sir Lagzalot is a novice
02-21-2006

Quote:
I Go Both Ways...
lol...sorry buddy...something just came to mind when I read these first few words...:P
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
02-26-2006

Quote:
I Go Both Ways I Would Like Top Save Myself For Marrige But Its A Little Too Late.
Why did you start every word with a capital?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
l random her0 l
Level 16
Subtract from l random her0 l's ReputationAdd to l random her0 l's Reputation l random her0 l is a novice
Send a message via AIM to l random her0 l
12-12-2005
Talking

um......who cares
cleeeeeeeeeetus!
Level 45
Subtract from cleeeeeeeeeetus!'s ReputationAdd to cleeeeeeeeeetus!'s Reputation cleeeeeeeeeetus! is a novice
Send a message via AIM to cleeeeeeeeeetus!
12-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer
I'm trying to show that saying premarital sex is bad doesn't make sense, even within Christianity. You can't justify that belief outside of religious beliefs, and the only way you can justify it within religion is by saying, "Well, God must have a reason for it, it's just something we can't understand because he's a higher being than us." Most Christians (at least the ones I know) believe that it makes sense that premarital sense is bad, and I'd like to change that.
No, Christians justify it within religion because it says so in the Bible. It directly states that premarital sex is wrong. (Not projecting my views, just the Bibles)