Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
tommytiddles
Level 26
Subtract from tommytiddles's ReputationAdd to tommytiddles's Reputation tommytiddles is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tommytiddles
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer View Post
If you're so confident, there shouldn't be a problem putting money on it.
I don't bet/gamble.

I've made my point. Whether you agree with it or not, I don't really care - so I'm not going to continue with it anymore.

H3F Lego Turf

Recorded by RVideo

Hello, How may I be of service to you?
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytiddles View Post
I don't bet/gamble.

I've made my point. Whether you agree with it or not, I don't really care - so I'm not going to continue with it anymore.
Gambling implies that there's a chance you could lose. Are you admitting that you might be wrong?
Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
10-26-2006

Quote:
Yes. the word ''can'' does not imply certainty, altho in use in the sentence
''Christianity can only be justified through faith''
''Can'' implies that Christianity is justifiable and not justifiable.
But the certainty remains that ''Christianity can be justified''
If I, a male version of our beloved species, say that "I can only give birth only if I am a woman", does that mean that it's I can give birth.

Quote:
I don't bet/gamble.

Saying something and making a point are not the same thing. You said something, but you made no point. You can't just hack off the end of a true statement and say that what remains is a true statment.

Your grasp of English and logic seem to be somewhat lacking if not altogether absent.

TMNT

Last edited by Darth Hulk; 10-26-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
10-26-2006

Quote:
Yes. the word ''can'' does not imply certainty, altho in use in the sentence
''Christianity can only be justified through faith''
''Can'' implies that Christianity is justifiable and not justifiable.
But the certainty remains that ''Christianity can be justified''
"Christianity can only be justified through faith."
This implies
"If faith does not justify Christianity, nothing does."
Thus, with this line
"Faith is never sufficient to justify a belief."
You clearly state that Christianity is not justifiable due to it's reliance on faith.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
ArmagdnGuardian
Level 10
Subtract from ArmagdnGuardian's ReputationAdd to ArmagdnGuardian's Reputation ArmagdnGuardian is a novice
10-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiafan13 View Post
This thread in my opionion is pointless. this whole topic of this part of the forum is pointless as well. nothing ever happens here. if somebody has been converted to the others side of atheism or christianity then please tell me, but if nobody has then in my opion this whole thing is pointless. christianity is run on faith not proof. the only way to find out if it is true is to die and nobody here wants to do that. there is no point is saying that one side is right on proof because neither side has enough of it. in the end we all have doubts on both sides of the issue. the only reason that we have sides is because of our beliefs and those are the only thing there is. you can tell me everything that scientist have found but i wont give a s**t. chrisianity is my faith and i will follow it to the end. you all can keep argueing but like always it will amount to nothing. unless any of you have seen heaven or have seen the big bang then please post but other than that you have crap to truly win for your side of the battle since that is what you want it to be colostomizer.
the last thing that i have to post is that i have respect for all you for your post in this thread. your all fighting for you beliefs and that is cool in my opionon. either way it works whoever is right wont be able to showoff to it to the other side since whichever side wins will for the most part never really know it. Thanks if you actually took the time to read this. Sorry for the spelling and grammer but im typing in the dark. Peace.

-A plain and simple Christian
Ok dude, calm down... take a chill pill.. and breath for about a minute..... you don't have to go off and make us all look like retards.... You really don't have to be here durring this discussion... It is only for those that don't mind discussing our beliefs.... your only making us (as in Christians) look like bigger idiots posting these "eveyone is stupid" type of post... just calm down... state what you have to state if it will continue in a part of the discussion not calling everyone retards... and if ur truely a Christian... watch ur language... just saying this as a fellow Christian.. and i went off earlier... check back in page 3.... and i am calming down.. follow the advice given to me by the guy that quoted what i said....

- Christian with a Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG View Post
Also, if by "stuff the bible down your throat" you mean literally, then no -- that's the mormons.
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
10-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
"Christianity can only be justified through faith."
This implies
"If faith does not justify Christianity, nothing does."
Thus, with this line
"Faith is never sufficient to justify a belief."
You clearly state that Christianity is not justifiable due to it's reliance on faith.

mind fuck...?
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
10-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
mind f**k...?
?
You're not giving me much to work with there
That was a language arguement on the implications of the wording, 'cause some people, not to mention any names *couh*I'm to lazy to scroll up *cough*, thought there was a contradiction is Colosomizer's wording.

Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
10-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
?
You're not giving me much to work with there
That was a language arguement on the implications of the wording, 'cause some people, not to mention any names *couh*I'm to lazy to scroll up *cough*, thought there was a contradiction is Colosomizer's wording.
Yeah i just didn't understand what you were saying...i mean i know what your point was, but just couldn't literally translate it in my head
cheesegrady87
Level 11
Subtract from cheesegrady87's ReputationAdd to cheesegrady87's Reputation cheesegrady87 is a novice
10-28-2006

Quote:
Christianity is wrong. It can only be justified through faith, and faith is never sufficient to justify a belief. How can a belief be justified?
I don't really know exactly what you mean by "justification." Please explain.

Quote:
If you are going to act on a belief, that belief had damn well better be justified.
Again, I'm not sure what this whole justification thing even is. Could you give an example of a justified belief?

Quote:
You may even experience feelings of bliss while praying. There is no question that it is possible for people to have profoundly transformative experiences...And there is no question that it is possible for them to misinterpret these experiences, and to further delude themselves about the nature of reality.
I'm sure Sam Harris addresses this somewhere in his book, but what about those whose faith is not based on some sort of emotional transcendental experience?
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes."
-Pope John Paul II
Froggy618157725
Level 31
10-28-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegrady87 View Post
I don't really know exactly what you mean by "justification." Please explain.

Again, I'm not sure what this whole justification thing even is. Could you give an example of a justified belief?

I'm sure Sam Harris addresses this somewhere in his book, but what about those whose faith is not based on some sort of emotional transcendental experience?
A justified belief is the belief in gravity. We can see it's effects, and test them. We know, beyond any reasonable doubt, that gravity exists. Justifiable beliefs are testable, or atleast have a foundation on something else that is observed and tested.

As for faith not based on emotions, I'd have to say that that is the best kind. Emotions can obscure judgement, making your choices less rational. A thought through belief is generally a lot sounder than other ones.