Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
10-24-2006
Default Letter to a Christian Forum

This is intended for the conservative Christians of this forum, and in case anybody wanted to know, I ripped off Sam Harris' latest book (Letter to a Christian Nation) for the thread title.

Christianity is wrong. It can only be justified through faith, and faith is never sufficient to justify a belief. How can a belief be justified? Only by using reason and logic to rationally examine the evidence supporting it. If you want to know why I think faith is not sufficient to justify Christianity specifically, consider Islam. You know that the Bible is correct through faith, and Muslims know that the Quran is correct through faith. You both use the exact same thing to justify divergent, irreconcilable claims. Why are you right and Muslims wrong?

For any Christians who think that the Bible has evidence to support it, you're wrong. The ontological, cosmological, and teleological arguments for God's existence do not support Christianity anymore than they do Islam, and historical accuracy does not suggest that Jesus is the son of God. Why would you even claim that there is evidence of the validity of the Bible if the Bible itself says that you're supposed to believe in God through faith?

I'm going to straight copy Sam Harris for this last bit, because he can say it better than I can -
I have no doubt that your acceptance of Christ coincided with some very positive changes in your life. Perhaps you now love other people in a way that you never imagined possible. You may even experience feelings of bliss while praying. I do not wish to denigrate any of these experiences. I would point out, however, that billions of other human beings, in every time and place, have had similar experiences―but they had them while thinking about Krishna, or Allah, or the Buddha, while making art or music, or while contemplating the beauty of Nature. There is no question that it is possible for people to have profoundly transformative experiences. And there is no question that it is possible for them to misinterpret these experiences, and to further delude themselves about the nature of reality. You are, of course, right to believe that there is more to life than simply understanding the structure and contents of the universe. But this does not make unjustified (and unjustifiable) claims about its structure and contents any more respectable.
If you are going to act on a belief, that belief had damn well better be justified. Believe in Christianity all you want; I really don't care. But the moment that you interfere with others' rights because of your religious beliefs, you've crossed the line. The danger with Christianity, and the reason why I bother making this thread, is that many Christians feel compelled by the Bible to act on their beliefs, as demonstrated by Reginald Finger. Dr. Finger, an evangelical Christian and member of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (an influential United States government committee linked to the Centers for Disease Control), resisted a vaccination program designed to target the human papillomavirus because the disease is a valuable impediment to premarital sex. Thousands of women die every year in the United States from cervical cancer caused by HPV. That is crossing the line.

P.S. Replace every instance of Christianity with Islam and you've got a Letter to a Muslim Forum. Substitute in any faith-based belief you'd like, this applies to all of them.

Last edited by The Colostomizer; 04-27-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Furiosa
less than three
Subtract from Furiosa's ReputationAdd to Furiosa's Reputation Furiosa is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Furiosa
10-24-2006

Have i mentioned before how much i love you?

Fur
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
10-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiosa View Post
Have i mentioned before how much i love you?

Fur
It might have come up once or twice. Tell me again.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
10-24-2006

I am too tired to be bothered to rewrite stuff, so I'll just straight copy from AIM.
[21:02] Froggy618157725: I agree with most of what I read.
[21:02] Froggy618157725: most in case I missed something and am held accountable for that line
[21:03] SS Colostomizer: Oh, you will be.
[21:03] Froggy618157725: I can't comprehend why people vote according to religion.
[21:03] Froggy618157725: I can understand influences.
[21:03] Froggy618157725: But when it comes to downright political decisions, decisions made solely on religion make no sense to me.
[21:05] Froggy618157725: I should not be held accountable for my neighbors beliefs if they are not my own and do not affect him.
[21:05] SS Colostomizer: Mmm hmm.
[21:05] Froggy618157725: I'm tired, so take what I say, and translate it into what I mean
[21:05] Froggy618157725: I kinda jumped around with my pronouns.
[21:06] Froggy618157725: Or my tiredness has created the illusion that I did.
[21:06] Froggy618157725: meh
[21:06] Froggy618157725: Too tired to care
[21:07] SS Colostomizer: I know what you mean.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Captain 67
Yarrrr
Subtract from Captain 67's ReputationAdd to Captain 67's Reputation Captain 67 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Captain 67
10-24-2006

That's what I've thought for a very long time, but without the ability to put it into such great terms.

But then again, just like the Bible...I don't need a book or an author to tell me what I believe.

So, without wasting any more of your reading time.

Suck.

My.

Balls.

:boat:
QuickPro
Level 29
Subtract from QuickPro's ReputationAdd to QuickPro's Reputation QuickPro is a novice
10-24-2006

It's a frustrating battle. Christianity is backed only by people being oblivious to the things around them. They some how think it's our responsibility to thank God for the things that we have and that we should praise Jesus Christ for sacrificing himself. No, I won't do it, I refuse to denote all of my accomplishments in life, all my happy memories, and everything that will happen to me in the future to the level of God's handy work.

People have justified using religion for just about anything (am I the only crazy one who remembered the arguments supporting slavery?) It's sad and I feel hopeless when I see the millions of drones march into the factory to fill their heads with nonsensical garbage that won't ever help them with anything. There's one simple reason people are religious is because they are fearful of the supposed consequences. People can lie to themselves all they want, but that is the one and only reason people purposely ignore their own reality.

Colostomizer, you're an extremely skillful writer, you should write more.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
10-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickPro View Post
People have justified using religion for just about anything (am I the only crazy one who remembered the arguments supporting slavery?)
It's always interesting to see Christians cherry picking from the Bible, using a passage to justify their actions one day and another, contradictory passage to justify other actions the next day.
KaLi
Level 14
Subtract from KaLi's ReputationAdd to KaLi's Reputation KaLi is a novice
10-24-2006

Colostomizer, I just have a question to ask you about muslim.

Isn't muslim where you kill a human you don't like and the reward you get is 72 virgins in heaven? I, as a Humanist see Christianity false enough, but don't Islamic people have even more absurd beliefs?
QuickPro
Level 29
Subtract from QuickPro's ReputationAdd to QuickPro's Reputation QuickPro is a novice
10-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLi View Post

Isn't muslim where you kill a human you don't like and the reward you get is 72 virgins in heaven? I, as a Humanist see Christianity false enough, but don't Islamic people have even more absurd beliefs?
They're all absurd. To call one more absurd then the other is giving value to them. They are worthless and equally worthless at that.
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
10-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLi View Post

uhhh.....no