Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Mobkey
Level 47
Subtract from Mobkey's ReputationAdd to Mobkey's Reputation Mobkey is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Mobkey
11-01-2005

Bah, your watergate thing? For one, I don't quite understand it. Your grammar/punctuation is difficult to follow. However, I'll just say what I got from it. Something about the followers of Jesus eventually matyring themselves for their beliefs. Is this new? Hell no. People have been getting themselves killed for millenia over crap like that. Recent cases? The People's Temple and The Order of the Solar Temple. Both mass suicide cults from less than 20 years ago (I think). But Christianity isn't a cult you say. Yes it WAS. The difference between cult and religion is simple numbers, by a few orders of magnitude. Christianity didn't hit it big until they made it official at the Council of Nicea and got rid of a lot of pagan religions by just assimilatiing them into Christianity.

And Cassius, the guy talking about copy + paste. I believe he was talking about the original poster, not you.
Deadly Buni
Ezekiel 23:19-21
Subtract from Deadly Buni's ReputationAdd to Deadly Buni's Reputation Deadly Buni is a novice
11-01-2005

This whole thread is a steaming pile of festering shit. Because everyone with a brain knows its not supposed to be taken seriously. You have to understand that it is supposed to be a guideline for a way of life. It doesn't literally mean Moses parted the waters. Or that Adam and Eve were two people. The whole world probably wasn't flooded, just the world they knew existed which was very small.

Cassius I cLaY I
Level 13
Subtract from Cassius I cLaY I's ReputationAdd to Cassius I cLaY I's Reputation Cassius I cLaY I is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Cassius I cLaY I
11-01-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler66
I'm agnostic, and after reading this entire post, I can honestly say that there were maybe three posts that had any bearing on the argument at all. The original post wasn't one of them. That wasn't a debate or well presented facts, that was just a load of quotes taken out of context and used to "prove" that the Bible is fictitious.

NEWS FLASH: The Bible is not word for word accurate to events that happened, nor is it completely false. Many of the stories in it likely did not happen just as they are described, but that does not mean that the message should be ignored. Contradiction does not mean that the statement is false. Maybe both statements are correct.

"Thou shalt not kill." There are few true pacifists in this world. I bet that even the Pope would kill if presented with a certain situation. That doesn't mean that the whole Bible is a load of shit.

Quikpro, the next time you copy and paste something off of a website, make sure that the examples displayed are at least relevant, and maybe you should put in some bad spelling and grammar to make it look like you wrote it.

Edit: The Water Gate argument? I know people who I would take the fall for, probably even going so far as to die for them. That does not mean that they are God, or a Holy entity.
Thank you, for saying what you said, and about the water gate thing. It was a metaphor that I was trying to use, but in saying that they are not God or a holy entity, are you saying that Jesus was God?
Who wants the toasty luv?

Mobkey
Level 47
11-01-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Buni
everyone with a brain knows its not supposed to be taken seriously
No you're wrong. There are quite a few parts that are taken very seriously. For one, there are the Jews. They follow a lot of the OT rules.

Also, take for example Luke 23:43 (I just looked this up). Jesus: "And I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in the kingdom of heaven."

Not a big deal, right? According to that (NIV) version, the guy is gonna meet Jesus in heaven that very day. But Hebrew doesn't have puncuation. What if the comma is moved to "I tell you the truth today, you will be...." The verse NOW means that one will join Jesus when he's damn well ready for you. Not a big deal you think? No, it is. Whole churches are founded on that comma, because of the huge difference in doctrine and teaching.
TheGambler66
Level 18
Subtract from TheGambler66's ReputationAdd to TheGambler66's Reputation TheGambler66 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TheGambler66
11-01-2005

I was referring to Jesus as a Holy Entity, which was the best I could come up with on the spot for a Prophet. But with the whole theory of Jesus being Holy because people were willing to die for him, I just don't think that argument holds water. A willingness to give your life for a cause is a sign of devotion, not of Divine Power or Holiness.
XBL: The Gambler66
XBC: TheGambler66
AIM: TheGambler66
MySpace: www.myspace.com/gamblood

Cassius I cLaY I
Level 13
Subtract from Cassius I cLaY I's ReputationAdd to Cassius I cLaY I's Reputation Cassius I cLaY I is a novice
11-01-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobkey
Bah, your watergate thing? For one, I don't quite understand it. Your grammar/punctuation is difficult to follow. However, I'll just say what I got from it. Something about the followers of Jesus eventually matyring themselves for their beliefs. Is this new? Hell no. People have been getting themselves killed for millenia over crap like that. Recent cases? The People's Temple and The Order of the Solar Temple. Both mass suicide cults from less than 20 years ago (I think). But Christianity isn't a cult you say. Yes it WAS. The difference between cult and religion is simple numbers, by a few orders of magnitude. Christianity didn't hit it big until they made it official at the Council of Nicea and got rid of a lot of pagan religions by just assimilatiing them into Christianity.

And Cassius, the guy talking about copy + paste. I believe he was talking about the original poster, not you.
Thanks for clarifying the copy/paste thing, now I get it. But, what was the situation in the cult murderingings, did they experience someone resurrecting from the dead, or did someone TELL them what they should believe.

QuickPro
Level 29
Subtract from QuickPro's ReputationAdd to QuickPro's Reputation QuickPro is a novice
11-01-2005

To the poster above, please tell me the website that I copied this from. And all I did was copy quotes from the bible and quotes that contradicted them. THAT'S ALL, nothing more. I never said Christianity was bad, I never said there was no God, I never said I was right, I just put down my evidence and my conclusion. Stop taking ME OUT OF CONTEXT.
Mobkey
Level 47
11-01-2005

No I'm pretty sure they're just mass murder/suicide cults. That doesn't change much. There are of course arguments that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, Jesus didn't even hang on the cross... Jesus resurected Lazurus as part of a cult tradition (also that Lazurus wrote the gospel of John). So since there cannot be hard evidence of the resurection, unlike his existence, it is doubtful.
TheGambler66
Level 18
Subtract from TheGambler66's ReputationAdd to TheGambler66's Reputation TheGambler66 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TheGambler66
11-01-2005

Since we're suddenly on the subject of Jesus, I just feel like I should throw this out there. Jesus existed, almost without a doubt, and he was almost certainly black, a fact which many religions have glossed over millenia.
XBL: The Gambler66
XBC: TheGambler66
AIM: TheGambler66
MySpace: www.myspace.com/gamblood

Cassius I cLaY I
Level 13
11-01-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobkey
So since there cannot be hard evidence of the resurection, unlike his existence, it is doubtful.
yeah, i can see where you are coming from, that is why Christianity is a lot about faith, but if you believe the bible then there is hard evidence. Could you give me a reason why God is not real now, since I have tried to give reasons for him, I would like to see your side of things.