Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
BinoChrist
Broke w/ Expensive Taste
Subtract from BinoChrist's ReputationAdd to BinoChrist's Reputation BinoChrist finally popped his Bubble Shield BinoChrist finally popped his Bubble Shield BinoChrist finally popped his Bubble Shield BinoChrist finally popped his Bubble Shield
05-30-2008
Default Is religion still relevant?

Most importantly, religious traditions and organized religion. I think it no longer is, because we are now in an era of reason. People should be able to create their own gods, and their own beliefs. Religious beliefs cripple us with effects on civil liberties and petty laws. If there is an all-loving God than the love for God should be able to be found within ourselves and our connection with nature, not through a middle man.

Maybe this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but work with me on this one.

What do you think? Will it die out when it's due?
Empty
Tempus Fugit
Subtract from Empty's ReputationAdd to Empty's Reputation Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Empty Send a message via Skype™ to Empty
05-30-2008

Religion is slowly Dying.

Give it a few hundred more years.
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
05-30-2008

All archaic religions (the ones we're involved with now) should all be done away with.

Spirituality should be personal, and having nothing to do with the supernatural - as there has yet to be anything for this idea to suffice.

Just because something is unusual or quite out of the ordinary does not mean you shove it in the extreme most fitting for it.

We're an open book, we won't be done writing anytime soon, possibly not even at our demise; be humble of the knowledge we have grasped just in the short spot of time that we have existed.

Religious traditions and culture is completely irrelevant.

The Bibles should be done away with; you can get any of those morals out of any other scribe back in those times, and obviously there are many books that discuss morality and ethics ad nausuem, which can be found anywhere. Besides; we can sustain ourselves on our own if we do not keep succombing to all the "evils" we divuldge in consciously and subconsciously from day to day, minute to minute.
Wowee 22
I'm not European.
Subtract from Wowee 22's ReputationAdd to Wowee 22's Reputation Wowee 22 is a novice
05-30-2008

I think I agree with what you're saying. I don't believe organized religion is necessary for our civilization any more. Before, there were little ways to teach moralities unless you used religious stories and scripture. Now, there are TONS of books (and the Internet) that teach the very same moral values, and mass communication of these said morals is much easier.

However, I don't believe religion will ever "die out."

Quote:
If there is an all-loving God than the love for God should be able to be found within ourselves and our connection with nature, not through a middle man.
Agreed.

Explore. Discover. Understand.

McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
05-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowee 22 View Post
I think I agree with what you're saying. I don't believe organized religion is necessary for our civilization any more. Before, there were little ways to teach moralities unless you used religious stories and scripture. Now, there are TONS of books (and the Internet) that teach the very same moral values, and mass communication of these said morals is much easier.

However, I don't believe religion will ever "die out."

Agreed.
To me, art and intellectualism halls would be alot more relevant and true in my opinion than churches and such.

We need to embrace what the hell we are.

Spiritualism can completely be sustained without said belief systems in play.

God can totally be kicked out of the equation.
Wowee 22
I'm not European.
Subtract from Wowee 22's ReputationAdd to Wowee 22's Reputation Wowee 22 is a novice
05-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT IS FOLLY View Post
To me, art and intellectualism halls would be alot more relevant and true in my opinion than churches and such.

We need to embrace what the hell we are.

Spiritualism can completely be sustained without said belief systems in play.

God can totally be kicked out of the equation.
Don't get me wrong here, I agree with a lot of what's been said.

A lot of people simply use religion to define SOLELY who they are, and it's a scary situation when people don't even know anything about this identity they claim to have through religion.

Even though I'm a religious person, I find organized churches to be pathetic at times. I hate the idea of SO many different denominations with specific differences, so I don't even consider myself a denomination at all.

God is a substantial part of spirituality, though, and I don't think the idea of a supernatural being will ever be abolished.

Xoneout
Unknown
Subtract from Xoneout's ReputationAdd to Xoneout's Reputation Xoneout is a novice
05-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyProduction View Post
Religion is slowly Dying.

Give it a few hundred more years.
It will be A LOT longer than that.
I bloodypingu I
Lurker At The Threshold
Subtract from I bloodypingu I's ReputationAdd to I bloodypingu I's Reputation I bloodypingu I is a novice
Send a message via AIM to I bloodypingu I
05-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
It will be A LOT longer than that.
And why is that?

"Music to me, might not be music to most"
-Buckethead

Wowee 22
I'm not European.
05-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bloodypingu I View Post
And why is that?
You honestly think ~85% of the world's population being religious will suddenly stop their religious teachings from spreading?

Look at these rough estimates from 2001 and today.

2001 Source archive

Current Source

Even though these are very approximate estimates, I believe they provide enough for this discussion. Even though these pie charts are from a few years a part, they at least show a decent consistency through religious population. Non-religious may be growing, but I don't even see it becoming a majority, let alone completely taking place of all religions.

DaRkz0mbie
Level 29
Subtract from DaRkz0mbie's ReputationAdd to DaRkz0mbie's Reputation DaRkz0mbie is a novice
Send a message via AIM to DaRkz0mbie
05-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT IS FOLLY View Post
The Bibles should be done away with; you can get any of those morals out of any other scribe back in those times, and obviously there are many books that discuss morality and ethics ad nausuem, which can be found anywhere. Besides; we can sustain ourselves on our own if we do not keep succombing to all the "evils" we divuldge in consciously and subconsciously from day to day, minute to minute.
The Bible in its many translations has transgressed all throughout human history. In reality, there is a ton of information in it that gets looked over or taken as contradiction ... the depth and breadth of it is quite interesting, not to mention that any contemporary self-help, morality, or ethics books will likely have information that can be traced back to Scripture.

Humanity hasn't truly sustained itself other than by means of reproduction; there has never been a manmade system of government that's worked in its favor, one that's taught humans how to actually cooperate with each other yieldingly rather than simply live in the same space as each other with a few basic "suggestions" called laws (in which some basic laws also can be traced back to Scripture).

I am merely pointing out truth here. Your last sentence carries a very big "if" in it. What or who carries the power to truly keep humanity from succumbing to evils? Even then, everyone sins, it's only a matter of whether they repent and seek to learn that their sin had very little, if any, resulting good attached to it, good that is perhaps only in the eye of the sinner.

Contemporarily speaking, it's called learning from your mistakes.
Hi.

Last edited by DaRkz0mbie; 05-30-2008 at 11:18 PM.