Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
05-14-2008

Bravo, bravo!

Seriously, pretty solid argument; I agree with everything you said, asplode now.
Empty
Tempus Fugit
Subtract from Empty's ReputationAdd to Empty's Reputation Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Empty Send a message via Skype™ to Empty
05-15-2008

While sitting outside tonight hearing the birds make all of there interesting noises. I just looked around and i can easily see how a person can think there needs to be a creator.

I never really saw it before but theres a pretty significant problem when it comes to how the bible wishes to explain it.

Science has proven on so many occasions that the earth and the universe is oh so obviously not 6,000 years old. That dinosaurs did not live with man. That there was not a world wide flood. In my opinion anyone that still believes in genesis doesn't deserve to live in society or even breathe for that matter.

When saying that God created the universe all that does is create more questions. This is a unnecessary process because when it boils down to it we obviously still do not know the origin of the universe.

Ill end by saying Carl Sagan said it pretty well

WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
05-24-2008

God is above human reasoning. You're using human reasoning to prove that he isn't above human reasoning which you simply can't do.

The Big Lahey
Couple
Subtract from The Big Lahey's ReputationAdd to The Big Lahey's Reputation The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000
05-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
God is above human reasoning. You're using human reasoning to prove that he isn't above human reasoning which you simply can't do.
I seriously can't stop laughing. I'm sorry.
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
05-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicktistiK View Post
I find it funny that he's allowed to make that assumption.
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
05-24-2008

I can't prove that he is above reasoning but there is no way to prove that he isn't. If logic doesn't apply than nothing does. I'm not saying I'm sure he is above reasoning or anything.

But what am I missing thats so funny/stupid about my post?

I just looked it up and his argument is a blatant begging the question fallacy. Anyone's argument would be, so it is impossible to prove logically or empirically. You have to assume that logic applies to God in order to disprove him logically.

Last edited by WicKeD ASSaSiN; 05-24-2008 at 05:46 PM.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
05-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
I can't prove that he is above reasoning but there is no way to prove that he isn't. If logic doesn't apply than nothing does. I'm not saying I'm sure he is above reasoning or anything.

But what am I missing thats so funny/stupid about my post?

I just looked it up and his argument is a blatant begging the question fallacy. Anyone's argument would be, so it is impossible to prove logically or empirically. You have to assume that logic applies to God in order to disprove him logically.
Everything we know to exist is applicable to logic. If god exists, it too must be applicable to logic. You have to provide evidence it isn't applicable to logic.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
05-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Everything we know to exist is applicable to logic. If god exists, it too must be applicable to logic. You have to provide evidence it isn't applicable to logic.

Why? Why would that make him applicable to logic? God would be unlike any other thing we (don't)know to exist. Existence itself is a rational concept and may not apply to God. As I said before you can't use evidence to prove anything about god because he may be above logic which is used to conclude something using that evidence. It is a begging the question fallacy.

And btw, we should utilize that ventrilo server some guy in the complete off topic section just posted. We could have some sick arguments and have them recorded for later amusement.

General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
05-24-2008

Great video, but I just have a problem with your "Perfect Artist" argument. But perfection can be very tricky and it's all a matter of interpretation.

Now, if an artist was perfect, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to create imperfect things (excluding your "perfectly imperfect" piece of art).
If he was unable to create imperfect things, he wouldn't be a perfect artist because would not be able to create anything he wanted to draw. Now that may sound like I'm going into omnipotence instead of perfection, but we're talking about a perfect artist here so instead of being bound to simply creating perfect works of art, he would instead be able to create any work of art of any caliber and of any quality perfectly.

Again, great vid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.

Last edited by General AI; 05-24-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Wowee 22
I'm not European.
Subtract from Wowee 22's ReputationAdd to Wowee 22's Reputation Wowee 22 is a novice
05-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicktistiK View Post
This post contributed to the thread.

I'm lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT IS FOLLY View Post
I find it funny that he's allowed to make that assumption.
He's allowed to, just like your allowed to assume that God is restricted to logic. If he's a supernatural being, he doesn't have to obey natural [logical] rules (especially if he created them).

Explore. Discover. Understand.

Last edited by Wowee 22; 05-24-2008 at 11:03 PM.