Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
WicKeD ASSaSiN's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Infinite Possibilities
Posts: 1,681
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
#131
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
So, they could have easily detected us by some means that is, even theoretically almost impossible? I don't buy it. Even if they did have faster than light technology, that doesn't change the fact that our radio messages will only have gotten about 60 light years away, meaning they would have to be only that tiny distance away from us. It's impossible for someone 5,000 light years away to detect our radio transmissions.
I was giving examples off the top of my head. If they find some realistic means to travel faster than light it obviously isn't known to humans,so I couldn't tell you how. I bet there is some particle that can travel faster than light though... And 60 light years is being a little conservative; unless your talking about signals sent out specifically for extraterrestrials. Our first radiowaves that had some sort of pattern are probably 100 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Even if they had detected us, the chances of them actually making contact are slim. They would risk biological contamination of our world (or of their species), so that means no hand shakes, or not even a visit to the planet. The problem I have with sci-fi is that when captain picard and company beam down to a planet they've never been before, they expose the entire planet to life it's never seen before (aka, their own skin cells, or other wayward cells). In reality, a SINGLE skin cell from an alien would probably wipe our all of humanity, and vice versa.
What if the aliens are hostile and want us to die? And in the case of Star Trek, I wouldn't be surprised if their clothes had some faint forcefield that stopped any contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
But again, the universe is 60 billion light years across (that's, 60,000,000,000 light years, with one light year being 5,878,625,373,183.61 miles), and at the furthest, an alien race 60 light years away would be aware of our presence.

How do you propose to look for life? Point your radio telescope at every star to see if non-normal (astronomically speaking) radio waves are being emitted? It would take thousands of years to scan the stars within 100 light years of you (even 100 light years around you is 4,188,666.67 cubic light years, see the problem?).
Firstly, stop teasing me with your astronomical numbers. I am well aware of the magnitudes of distance being dealt with.

Secondly, the easiest and fastest way to search for life is using a supercomputer or something of the sort. Shouldn't take too long.


TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#132
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
I was giving examples off the top of my head. If they find some realistic means to travel faster than light it obviously isn't known to humans,so I couldn't tell you how. I bet there is some particle that can travel faster than light though... And 60 light years is being a little conservative; unless your talking about signals sent out specifically for extraterrestrials. Our first radiowaves that had some sort of pattern are probably 100 years old.
The first human transmitted radio waves were sent in the 1800's. However, the intensity of radio transmissions, that is, the clarity of the transmissions, decreases by the cube of the distance. That means that if you go 3 times further away from the source, the signal becomes 27 times weaker. The signals sent from any time period from before the 1980's (realistically speaking, which is sooner than either of us have said) would have been far to weak for anyone to detect, unless they were within the orbit of Jupiter, and had some extremely sensitive listening equipment (that was faced toward Earth). The background EM radiation of the universe makes it almost impossible for any transmission humanity has sent to be detectable for less than 10 light years - our signals are just too weak, and there is a TON of background EM radiation that smudges it out.

My point about alien civilizations needing thousands of years to investigate a tiny area of space that immediately surrounds them is that you have to point a radio telescope at one portion of the sky (or, one star, to be precise) for an extended period of time, and even then you have to process the immense amount of data that you receive. The amount of raw data SETI gets is absolutely amazing. It takes an almost incalculable amount of power to examine what they do.

Quote:
What if the aliens are hostile and want us to die? And in the case of Star Trek, I wouldn't be surprised if their clothes had some faint forcefield that stopped any contamination.
There are humans who are hostile and want us to die (all of us), so that wouldn't be a change from everyday life. In any event, we have the technology to destroy our civilizations, it's reasonable to assume they do as well.

And as for that faster than light particle, the theoretical particle in question is called a tachyon. Their existence has yet to be confirmed.

Quote:
Firstly, stop teasing me with your astronomical numbers. I am well aware of the magnitudes of distance being dealt with.

Secondly, the easiest and fastest way to search for life is using a supercomputer or something of the sort. Shouldn't take too long.
How would you collect the data? Radio telescopes are the only way to detect, you know, radio waves. A computer only helps you process the data you receive. In SETI's case, they look for prime numbers, and various complex patterns not ordinarily emitted by stars, black holes, or other large masses with magnetic fields.

I'm going to be completely honest: the only reasonable chance we have of finding an alien civilization, short of faster than light travel, is to hope that they emit radio waves on the order of magnitude of the energy output of a star, and even then they'd better be less than a thousand light years away from us.

I'm sorry but when you say that it's amazing that humanity hasn't found extraterrestrials yet, I have to call complete B.S. Our universe is 113 trillion cubic light years, and we've had the chance to make contact with a negligible portion of that. Your arguments are based on dozens of assumptions that have no basis in reality, "if if if if if".
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
Empty
Tempus Fugit
Empty's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Whittier California
Posts: 4,636
Subtract from Empty's ReputationAdd to Empty's Reputation Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Empty Send a message via Skype™ to Empty
#133
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
I believe that it is highly probable that alien civilizations more advanced than our own exist within our universe, and even within our galaxy (and probably within 100 light years from us!), but I cannot and will not say that I believe with certainty that they exist. If they do exist and are comparable to or greater than us in intellect, there is a high probability that they're looking for life on other worlds, just like we are. But again, the universe is 60 billion light years across (that's, 60,000,000,000 light years, with one light year being 5,878,625,373,183.61 miles), and at the furthest, an alien race 60 light years away would be aware of our presence.
So then thats 352,717,522,391,016,600,000,000 miles?


kinda big....
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
WicKeD ASSaSiN's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Infinite Possibilities
Posts: 1,681
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
#134
04-25-2008
Default

Yes, my argument is based off a lot of assumptions. But given yours and everyone else's estimates on aliens I have a lot of room for assumption-making. You, yourself believe that there is advanced intelligent life within 100 light years. I don't think it's possible for either of us to say for sure because there are too many "ifs" involved, but I would like to believe that chances are more than likely that someone should have found us by now. Not through our efforts but their own.


NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#135
04-25-2008
Default

Aliens exist and sightings are real, ButtHair. Problem is they don't exist some far way away, just deep underwater.

:O
Busy, busy, busy
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#136
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
Yes, my argument is based off a lot of assumptions. But given yours and everyone else's estimates on aliens I have a lot of room for assumption-making. You, yourself believe that there is advanced intelligent life within 100 light years. I don't think it's possible for either of us to say for sure because there are too many "ifs" involved, but I would like to believe that chances are more than likely that someone should have found us by now. Not through our efforts but their own.
Given the fact that life can exist on Earth in temperatures well below freezing, to well above 300C, and in a wide variety of chemical environments, it's reasonable to assume that life can also exist on other such places other than Earth. Statistically speaking, our star is very ordinary. Half of all stars are just like our own, and the vast majority have planets. The type of planet is irrelevant, almost. Anything from as small as Pluto to five times larger than Earth would be good enough to support life as we know it. Liquid water isn't necessarily a necessity.

Given that information, which we know to be factual and accurate, it's reasonable to say that probability is in favor of the existence of life on other planets. It's also reasonable to assume that if said life has DNA or RNA (which is perfectly reasonable - the components of RNA and DNA are known to exist outside of our planet), it would evolve. Even if only a fraction of the planets with life evolve intelligent life, it's not out of the question to put that life reasonably close to Earth.

A radius of 100 light years gives 1,333,333.33... cubic light years of space. Star systems are placed about 2-5 light years apart (unless you're talking about the Galactic core, or a star cluster). That's a lot of stars fairly close to us. Remember that I said it's probable that intelligent life exists within 100 light years of us. Probability governs my beliefs, that is, if no such evidence for said thing exists, I'll assign a probability to it's existence (assuming it's worth the time and effort), and base my belief on whether or not the minimum probability of existence is acceptable.

Quote:
Aliens exist and sightings are real, ButtHair. Problem is they don't exist some far way away, just deep underwater.

:O
A friend of mine who just so happens to be a marine biologist by profession loves mentioning that there are more species at the bottom of the ocean that remain undiscovered, than there are known species. It really an alien world down there.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#137
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
A friend of mine who just so happens to be a marine biologist by profession loves mentioning that there are more species at the bottom of the ocean that remain undiscovered, than there are known species. It really an alien world down there.
:O yup. fucking aliens dude.
Busy, busy, busy
ROG chuhkee
Level 22
ROG chuhkee's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: KeNtuCkY
Posts: 623
Subtract from ROG chuhkee's ReputationAdd to ROG chuhkee's Reputation ROG chuhkee is a novice
Send a message via AIM to ROG chuhkee
#138
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Davo and I are the same entity.

Besides, what does that have to do with your homosexual comings on to me?
You caught me, I'm gay.
Empty
Tempus Fugit
Empty's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Whittier California
Posts: 4,636
Subtract from Empty's ReputationAdd to Empty's Reputation Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000 Empty IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Empty Send a message via Skype™ to Empty
#139
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG chuhkee View Post
You caught me, I'm gay.
Meet atheist cat

TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#140
04-25-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Nothing wrong with that, amiright?
Remember, god made the gays that way - there can't be anything wrong with it!
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off